RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

sillymnkee

Apr 11, 2006, 8:09 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Yamnuska Mountain School
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I seen a lot of people raving about Yamnuska Mountain Adventures. I was interested in their mountaineering course but I paused when I saw a 6:1 student to instructor ratio. Seems kind of high to me. This was by far the highest ratio of all the mountain schools I've looked at. Thoughts?

locoduck

Apr 11, 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yamnuska Mountain School [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll give you this... Hope you find it at least informative.
I just got off a 3 month long Mountain Skills semester with Yam, just about a week ago actually. I spent half of that time in the Rockies, and half of it on the south island of New Zealand. I took the course because i wanted to advance in all areas of climbing, and be technicaly challenged.
What i got on the Canadian section of my course was basicly an intro to winter mountaineering. I was very disapointed in the low technical challenge pressented by the course (in the Canadian section, the NZ section is run by Alpine Guides, and they were awesome!!) If your looking for an intro, Yam may be the way too go, but you won't be taking any risks, they are very keen not to have to face any law suits.
At least talk with them as much as possible before setting off. Check pre-requisits, if they are low, remember that other people joining at the begginer level may hold you back if you have some experiance. Don't get my wrong, Yam is good people, but i find that the low risk policy they utilize really holds back lots of pottential learning. I just don't know if you can get that hands on, willing to let you make mistakes but will stop you if your going to kill yourself, kind of learning in north america any more... it's kind of sad.

Enough with my rant, what ever you find/do, get at it!

angusmacginny

Apr 11, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking for a basic all around course you should take a look at American Alpine Institute. I dont think I have heard one person complain about their courses. Even if you are looking for something more technical they have that too.

sillymnkee

Apr 12, 2006, 1:39 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I was asking more about the ratio. Does that seem too high to anyone else? I've never done this so I have no idea but it seems like it should be lower.

rockguide

Apr 12, 2006, 2:28 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have worked for a number of outdoor schools, including Yamnuska. 6:1 is pretty normal for moderate risk instructional activities (rock schools, general mountaineering courses etc). 1:1 or 2:1 is more common for more serious objectives.

A better ratio is better quality, but then the price goes up. You can always hire a private guide through Yam and get the ratio you want (for skills 2:1 is the best) but then the price will go up. You also have the freedom to set dates and have more input to curriculum.

sillymnkee

Apr 12, 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. Any recommendations since you say you have worked with several?

kane_schutzman

Apr 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sillymnkee,

You might enjoy a course through NOLS or Colorado Outward Bound.

www.outwardboundwest.org

www.nols.edu

Here are the websites. I like the NOLS programe more than anything else. Thats just hear-say though. I hope to get out there and do it in a year or so when I can afford it. This is the specific course that was recommended to me

http://www.nols.edu/courses/locations/pacificnw/waddingtonrange.shtml

For more info on this course you should contact altelis .

And if you would like to talk to an former instructor for OB(outward bound) you should contact dr_monkey

Here is a another website,

www.mazamas.org

Kane

sillymnkee

Apr 14, 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NOLS and OB would be nice but my work has this thing about taking a month off. They tend to frown on that for some reason.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook