Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

brogant

Apr 11, 2006, 6:01 PM
Post #1 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Michael Reardon gets Golden Piton
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just saw that Michael Reardon got climbing magazines 2005 Golden Piton award for his solo exploits. Congrats Michael!!

Partner macherry

Apr 11, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #2 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry moved this thread from Trad Climbing to General.

billcoe_

Apr 11, 2006, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Re: Michael Reardon gets Golden Piton [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just saw that Michael Reardon got climbing magazines 2005 Golen Piton award for his solo exploits. Congrats Michael!!

Is the "Golen Piton" an award issued by a Jewish or Israeli organization?

I'm thinking 2 laps around the "Golan Heights" with a jersey stenciled "You asswipes Suck" and no body armor should net someone this coveted award.

Congrats Michael, live long and prosper: Oyyy Vey! :P

Partner j_ung

Apr 11, 2006, 7:39 PM
Post #4 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder how many anonymous Michael bashers this will bring out of the woodwork. Congratulations you crazy little bastard! :P

billcoe_

Apr 11, 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #5 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wonder how many anonymous Michael bashers this will bring out of the woodwork. Congratulations you crazy little bastard! :P

None yet and it's at post #5! I think that's a record. Bachar says if you can keep up with Reardon for a day freesoloing, he'll give you shoes for life.

None of the bashers has taken that offer up yet........curious no?

I suggest that any bashers who want to slam Michael explain why they do not want to take that offer up in their post explaining why MR sucks.

Again, please explain to us why you have turned down the easy money in the bank "free shoes for life" offer if you feel you need to post explaining to the rest of us why and how Reardon is such a piss poor climber:-) :!: :?:

This should be interesting. .......... :wink:

krusher4

Apr 11, 2006, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't recall ever seeing a "Free Solo" award... has there ever been one before?

viacontinuum

Apr 11, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #7 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what i find interesting is how it only took 4 posts for you guys to start bashing the michael-bashers, even though none of them has posted here yet. relax a little; let's not hijack this thread prematurely. my congrats to Mr. Reardon for this recognition of his achievements.

peace

billcoe_

Apr 11, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #8 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

None yet and it's at post #5! I think that's a record. Bachar says if you can keep up with Reardon for a day freesoloing, he'll give you shoes for life.

I suggest that any bashers who want to slam Michael explain why they do not want to take that offer up in their post explaining why MR sucks.

Again, please explain to us why you have turned down the easy money in the bank "free shoes for life" offer if you feel you need to post explaining to the rest of us why and how Reardon is such a piss poor climber:-) :!: :?:

This should be interesting. .......... :wink:

Partner j_ung

Apr 11, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #9 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what i find interesting is how it only took 4 posts for you guys to start bashing the michael-bashers, even though none of them has posted here yet. relax a little; let's not hijack this thread prematurely. my congrats to Mr. Reardon for this recognition of his achievements.

peace

:oops:

You're right. Thanks for the reality check.

epic_ed

Apr 11, 2006, 9:32 PM
Post #10 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I ever needed a reason to no longer read that magazine, here it is. But, good thing for me the industry rags lost my interest a while back and I won't have to trouble myself with bashing them any further.

I'm not knocking Mikey's soloing, but if there was ever a guy on this planet that didn't need his ego stroked its this guy. Did he win it for the panty littering or the soloing? Or, maybe he won it for being the most narcissistic climber on the planet?

Ed

Partner philbox

Apr 11, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #11 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So Ed, congratulations on winning shoes for life. :lol: :lol:

Hey Michael, ego or not, congratulations on the win buddy.

epic_ed

Apr 11, 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #12 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not knocking Mikey's soloing...

Nothing to do with his climbing -- I just hate seeing someone who is so utterly lacking in humility get more ink. It's no wonder to me why some many people feel an urge to want to knock him down a peg or two.

Ed

tradrenn

Apr 11, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #13 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's no wonder to me why some many people feel an urge to want to knock him down a peg or two.

Maybe cause he is better then them ?
+
He is pretty nice guy if you get to meet him in person.

Partner macherry

Apr 12, 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #14 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kudos to reardon on the soloing award

but, i think its in totally bad form to litter the backcountry with underwear

what is with that anyways?

i guess it wasn't a sierra club award

anykineclimb

Apr 12, 2006, 1:02 AM
Post #15 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Maybe no one wants crappy Boreal shoes? :twisted:

Partner holdplease2

Apr 12, 2006, 1:14 AM
Post #16 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Michael climbs in Acopa, not Boreal. And Acopas are wicked good shoes.

But I'd rather pay with my pocket change than my life...

-Kate.

curt

Apr 12, 2006, 1:25 AM
Post #17 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Maybe no one wants crappy Boreal shoes? :twisted:

1980s flashback perhaps? In any event, Boreals were the best shoe you could possibly get back when JB was involved with them :D

Curt

fracture

Apr 12, 2006, 1:32 AM
Post #18 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who cares about "golden pitons"?

This is a good example of why the climbing magazines are outdated. They basically have nothing to write about that wasn't already covered in better detail on the internet a month or two earlier. They have to make up silly shit like awards to give out because you can only read so many gear reviews before you realize you paid for the privilege of reading what amounts to one big advertisement.

I am infinitely more interested in who wins the GOTY 2006 award than who gets the "golden piton" for (rehearsed) free solos, hangdogging on cams (aka "trad climbing"), doing the first ethics-free ascent of old aid routes, or whatever other categories they can make up to give out those awards for.

cal_gundert05

Apr 12, 2006, 1:39 AM
Post #19 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if someone already said this, but does anyone see the irony in awarding a golden piton to a guy known for free-soloing? :lol:

Partner tim

Apr 12, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #20 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am infinitely more interested in who wins the GOTY 2006 award than who gets the "golden piton" for (rehearsed) free solos, hangdogging on cams (aka "trad climbing"), doing the first ethics-free ascent of old aid routes, or whatever other categories they can make up to give out those awards for.

All of these things are more or less true, except for the "rehearsed" part. The whole point of freesoloing Romantic Warrior onsight was to push the boat out. I'll never be 100% certain of anything that I haven't seen with my own two eyes, but I've watched Michael effortlessly solo quite a few routes of a reasonable caliber, and am reasonably confident that he wouldn't try to snowjob someone like Bachar. The rest of the world -- well, I'm not sure how much respect for the rest of the world Mike does or doesn't have.

Mike runs his mouth, he's abrasive, sometimes egocentric, loud, obnoxious, does things (the panties and Vagisil, for example) that look pretty stupid in hindsight... but the guy can and does solo difficult routes with very little effort. It's not unprecedented for someone to solo a difficult route; Scott Franklin soloed a 5.13 at the Gunks in the 80's, and Dean Potter solos 5.12ish routes all the time. But walking up to something like RW and firing it onsight with no room for error is pretty far out. Not unlike soloing New Dimensions, in fact. If there's one place Mike would pull that kind of stunt it is the Needles, and if there's one route to do it on, my money was on Romantic Warrior. And it still blew me away when the pictures came out. There are a lot of "what ifs" but in the end, soloing RW onsight is pretty rad.

Whether or not he needs his ego stroked, it was a significant jump in commitment, and whether or not a token nod from Climbing rag has any real relevance, the feat itself does.

fracture

Apr 12, 2006, 1:51 AM
Post #21 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All of these things are more or less true, except for the "rehearsed" part. The whole point of freesoloing Romantic Warrior onsight was to push the boat out.

I wasn't commenting on Reardon in particular (though I would imagine the vast majority of his free soloing is rehearsed).

The truth is, though, that I really don't care, because it has nothing to do with the sport I am interested in (which is not about boldness). But if they are going to give silly awards for boldness and Evel Knieval style stunts, people who free solo rock climbs are probably among the least deserving.

fracture

Apr 12, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #22 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To further elaborate on free soloing, I'll make an analogy...

Imagine for a moment a game based on golf. You play according to the normal rules, but for every hole that you shoot a double bogey or worse, you have to play russian roulette with one extra bullet for each stroke past bogey. Penalty strokes count.

Now, how relevant to real golf is this game? Do you think Arnold Palmer or Tiger Woods or anyone else who is actually interested in the game of golf would give a half a shit?

curt

Apr 12, 2006, 2:27 AM
Post #23 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To further elaborate on free soloing, I'll make an analogy...

Imagine for a moment a game based on golf. You play according to the normal rules, but for every hole that you shoot a double bogey or worse, you have to play russian roulette with one extra bullet for each stroke past bogey. Penalty strokes count.

Now, how relevant to real golf is this game? Do you think Arnold Palmer or Tiger Woods or anyone else who is actually interested in the game of golf would give a half a shit?

Well, to further your analogy--both Palmer (back-in-the-day) and Woods are good enough golfers that this "new" variation on golf presents them with very little additional risk. Kind of like Michael Reardon and free-soloing. :wink:

Curt

jt512

Apr 12, 2006, 2:57 AM
Post #24 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

All of these things are more or less true, except for the "rehearsed" part. The whole point of freesoloing Romantic Warrior onsight was to push the boat out.

You state that like it like it was fact, whereas there is no consensus in the climbing community as to whether it actually occurred -- that goes for many of Michael's other claims as well. I find it incredible that Climbing would give the award for claimed accomplishments of this magnitude, without better substantiation.

Jay

curt

Apr 12, 2006, 3:08 AM
Post #25 of 120 (13946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

You state that like it like it was fact, whereas there is no consensus in the climbing community as to whether it actually occurred -- that goes for many of Michael's other claims as well. I find it incredible that Climbing would give the award for claimed accomplishments of this magnitude, without better substantiation.

Jay

You claim to have red-pointed a bunch of 5.12 climbs. I have never seen you do this, but knowing you--I certainly believe you. What's the difference?

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook