RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

riversidesheriff

Apr 12, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #1 of 7 (9485 views)
Shortcut

Riverside Quarry, California
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello to all rock climbing enthusiasts!!! My Name is Deputy Howell and I am the coordinator of illegal off road violations for the Riverside County Sheriff's Department-Jurupa Valley Station. I would like to inform all climbers of the current ordinances regarding your access to the rock quarry area in Riverside.

Riverside County Ordinance 10.12.010 states....

No person shall drive a motor vehicle on lands belonging to or occupied by another without having in his or her immediate possession and, upon request of a peace officer, displaying written permission from the owner of such lands, his or her agent, or the person in lawful possession thereof; but this section shall not apply to a person having lawful business with the owner.

Therefore, all climbers need written permission to be on the property and can not drive their vehicles to the climbing area to access it with out such written permission in their immediate possession. Each vehicle on the property is subject to citation. There is ample parking on Sierra Avenue.

The R.O.V.E. unit is conducting active enforcement in the area and will continue to do so for the remainder of 2006. We are actively enforcing this off road violation due to numerous citizen complaints of high off road activity in the area. which includes but is not limited to high dust and noise issues, but in addition, illegal dumping issues.

We do not want to discourage climbing at this site, however we would appreciate voluntary compliance regarding taking your vehicle off road to the climbing area.

I can be contacted for questions or comments at the Jurupa Valley Station located at 7477 Mission Blvd in Riverside in person or via telephone at (951) 955-9225 or by email at kahowell@rc-lawnet.org.

Everyones anticipated cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Deputy Kelley Howell

swylie

Aug 4, 2006, 8:49 AM
Post #2 of 7 (9485 views)
Shortcut

Re: Riverside Quarry, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for that information. Can you please let all of the climbing enthusiasts know how they might obtain the written permission to climb in the Riverside rock Quarry, and or how the process works? I was there last week and I like to be in accordance with the Riverside County Ordinance in order to climb.

socalbolter

Aug 4, 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #3 of 7 (9485 views)
Shortcut

Re: Riverside Quarry, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We have gone to great lengths to attempt to obtain this written permission. While the Owner (and the Sheriffs) are fine with us being there and with the climbing activity in general, we are not likely going to receive written permission to drive into the Quarry.

We are asking that all climbers park on the street and walk into the Quarry (5-10 minutes depending on which wall you are going to climb on). This way, access is not endangered and everyone involved (from a management and policing standpoint) is happy with the climbers and our respect for their wishes. Even with this walk-in policy the Quarry offers one of the shortest approaches in So Cal.

Thanks for being sensitive to the conditions attached to climbing in the Quarry.

Have fun out there and be safe!

Scrupuruss

Mar 21, 2009, 5:01 AM
Post #4 of 7 (7059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Riverside Quarry, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard that the land that the Quarry is on came under new ownership very recently and sheriffs were telling climbers to leave.

Any more info or updates on the situation?

jimmyjat

Mar 24, 2009, 6:54 AM
Post #5 of 7 (6925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scrupuruss] Riverside Quarry, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard of the same thing. If anyone has any updated info I'd appreciate it greatly. Gonna make a trip out there soon. Hope access is still ok as long as we park off site.

socalbolter

May 27, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #6 of 7 (6490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimmyjat] Riverside Quarry, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ownership has not changed at all. What has happened is that one of the Vice Presidents of the ownership company has become more aware of climber usage at the Quarry. We are attempting to address his liability concerns at present.

There was only one day that climbers were asked to leave and that was a few months ago. Since that time, climbers continue to climb there with no Sheriff activity at all.

Please continue to park out on the street and when possible park in the residential area instead of on the outer street.

Scrupuruss

May 27, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Riverside Quarry, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, that's good news!

Thanks for the update!

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook