RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

johngchrist

Apr 13, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

crag moto bike
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I feel that it gets hot in the summers in SLC utah and im cheap. SOOO i was thinking about getting a motorcycle for drives up the canyons and cheap trans to work. I have never driven such a vehicle.

Questions....

1.)any one ride with their gear on one?

2.)Would a 400cc be a bad choice if i wanted to go on trips to moab??

2.) even though i havn;t ever ridden one would i grow out of it fast??

the bike im lookin at right now is a suzuki gn 400 1981

let me know what you think

hibby11

Apr 13, 2006, 1:05 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Re: crag moto bike [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Yeah a full rack with all the webbing and rope all in a pack. Hurts the back a little but its not too bad

2. 400 cc for simple travel from pt A to B, it'll work just fine, just dont try racing anyone :wink:

3. I love mine, i think its such a different a fun time that going the crag is just as fun as the time at the crag.

As when it comes to the bike, an 81 might be a little beat up and hard to keep maintained

I'm not sure how much money your looking to spend but you could get a 95 or even later for about a grand or less.......

Hope this helps,

-H

johngchrist

Apr 13, 2006, 1:11 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

81 was going to run me 900 with less than 10.000 miles on it.... i will probably keep lookin maybe get a 650 for easier highway but i don;t know if i will be able to handle such a bike haveing limited experiance and not being to strong. and suggestions on what I should be looking for? under $900 is a must.

any one take a class i was thinking that would help alot as well?

hibby11

Apr 13, 2006, 1:14 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a 400 cc will get you to 60 mph if its in decent shape and it sounds like with the milage it should be capable of that.

I would highly recommend a state safety course it will not only give you valuable knowledge but also a discount on your insurance if thats what your planning on doing.

Riding a motorcycle isn't about the strength its about the control and a safety course would teach you all the basics that you'd need to know

For suggestions i'd say anything at or under 500cc's that will give you all the power you'll ever need just for everyday use.

Hope that helps,

-H

waterman

Apr 13, 2006, 6:49 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wwould get one of those pimp ass sport ATV's if i was going to be hauling gear alot. Of course you have to have a bike too but the Yamaha Raptor would be alot of fun.

Jeff

fobnicat

Apr 13, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

raptorman, I believe he is talking about driving to and from places.. not driving down the access trail... Although fast, the Raptor is not quite street legal and deffinetly not worth the gas milage. My number one suggestion would be, do NOT jump on the bike the first time with a pack full of crap.. Having a pack on your back greatly changes your center of balance.... I have been riding a motorcycle most of my life and when I decided to start carrying other folks on my bike or my bag to head to school in, I started out with a light empty pack and gradually worked it up to full weight.. The problem is that if you are leaning into a turn and your have a heavy pack and the weight suddenly shifts on your back, you could possible lose it.. Other than that just be safe.. Idiots on the road in their big arse SUV's tend not to pay too much attention to us on the bikes and love to cut us off or ride our arses...

kungfuclimber

Apr 13, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been riding for 12 years now and love riding to the crag. Twisty mountain roads with rock climbing? Awesome day.

Save your back and get saddlebags. I put my rope, harness, water and shoes in one and the rack, draws and snacks in the other. I put all the gear on in the parking lot and hike in all jingly-jangly.

My first bike was a 650 standard. My second was a 800 cruiser and now I ride a 600 sport. Size doesn't mean power since my 600 has more kick than either of my other two bikes. I recommend you take a course (super important). While in the course talk to the instructors about the riding you plan on doing and the bikes that would fit you. I personally do NOT recommend getting anything below a 500. Yes you'll be able to get to highway speeds with a 400 but the little bike will be maxed out and unhappy. It also won't have much power left for passing or uphills. Get something like a nighthawk 650 or radian 600 and grow into it. Also AVOID anything that is plastic and/or chromed shinny. You WILL drop the bike in your first year so why pay for something you'll ruin anyway?!

So, in order, Take the course, Get riding gear (jacket, boots, etc), find a bike, get saddlebags, enjoy days of riding and climbing!

fobnicat

Apr 13, 2006, 8:00 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes yes, dropping the bike is a deffinite... After riding for aboutabout 4 years now on the road anda bout another 10 on dirt bikes.. I recently layed my down in my driveway... Dumb yes.. but I was wearing slick soled Adidas Shelltoes (bad idea) and step on some gravel.. foot went slipping and bike bashed.. No biggy.. It happens..

I personally had not thought about the saddle bag idea.. It is deffinetly a great idea as long as you dont ride a crotchrocket.. And i am sure they will work on certain crotchrockets as well... (Only problem i would see is attaching it, and muffler contact...)

Just keep in mind, riding a bike is not always about going fast and acting like the fools I see prety often on the highway.. Motorcycles are great gas savers.. fun to ride... and cheap on insurance!!

johngchrist

Apr 13, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What im thinking from the posts is that i will take the driver corse befor getting a bike. Why throw money down i will probably drop in the first few weeks when i can learn on something else.

OVerall im looking for something very comfortable to ride on, no bullit bikes for me just a crusier.

In reply to:
I put all the gear on in the parking lot and hike in all jingly-jangly.

I would deffinitly go with saddle bags. seems to risky to have a nice sack full of rack on your back. I'd just empty everthing into the saddles and ride with the empty pack.

In reply to:
Just keep in mind, riding a bike is not always about going fast and acting like the fools I see prety often on the highway.. !

Im all about going slow hell im the A hole in the fast lane doing 50, looseing thousands of dollars to tickets isn't fun.

let me just say i can't wait to experiance rideing to the crag on a bike

kydd76

Apr 13, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would highly recommend a state safety course it will not only give you valuable knowledge but also a discount on your insurance if thats what your planning on doing.

If I had a star! :!: This is the best advice I'f have heard all day. They will teach you how to drop a bike. " It is not if you drop your bike, it is when"..

A four hundred will work fine. If it’s in good condition and you can repair it yourself, sweet. If not I would think that you can find good info on how to repair them on google. Size this bike would be a fun zippy bike for city driving or a little dirt. I would not take it on highway, or freeway. Sixty would be fun, seventy would be silly. First not that fast of a bike and second engine would hate it. See repair statements above. Wear your helmet, at least in the beginning.

Saddle bags. :righton: They will save your back and will keep you stuff dry and clean if you pack accordingly.

After a little time, yes. :robert:

johngchrist

Apr 14, 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:robert: haha i hope not but there has to be some subconscience reason, i just never figured myself for the type

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook