RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

psprings

Apr 14, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Supercam feedback after lots of use
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, it hasn't quite been a year since the supercam came out, but I got one when it did and have been using it ever since (including some early and late winter climbing in southern utah) and wanted to let you all know what my experience has been with it, and was hoping to find out what other people who have been using it have thought.

For me, my rack consists of nuts, small tricams, metolius TCUs and the larger Forged Friends, so the Supercam was a nice way to double up with some range (useful for indian creek :D). I have to say, my experience with this supercam makes me want to replace my WC friends and get the bigger supercams! I think the thing that I like about it so much is how stable it is, both in granite and in nasty entrada sandstone. The width of the axis has never been an issue for placements for me when climbing in granite (Little Cottonwood Canyon), and it makes me feel super when I'm in sandstone. Plus, I'm a single axis fan and love the holding power. Those wide cam heads inspire me with confidence. Also, the action is still really nice on it too... doesn't seem to be gumming up like the TCUs that I own (and have cleaned). I've never had tangling issues with the spectra cord, like I know some people have. I actually think that's what keeps the action so smooth... no trigger wires to bend.

As far as dislikes go, I've had the cam walk on me once, but I'm not sure if I hit it with a foot or not (I was pumping at indian creek!) or if it just tweaked while I was lowering. I haven't had any other issues with it walking, but older posts seem to say that other people have. Initially I was nervous about the width of the axis and the ability to place it, but I haven't hit any issues in placing it, and I've put a ton of miles on the thing. Other than that, I think the only other drawback is eyeing placements with it. Camalots I think are more intuitive to place because they are symmetrical; the Supercam took me a couple climbs to get the sizing, but nothing hard... it's just different than other cams.

Anyhow, I was wondering other users input, and just in general if people like it or not after having used it for a while.

ps- has anyone heard if they are going to make it for larger OWs like it was originally designed for? I hope they're only releasing these 3 now because of the demand... but who knows?

skateman

Apr 14, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Re: Supercam feedback after lots of use [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo psprings,

I am a big fan of the supercam as well! Do you ever have any problems with the trigger wire slipping? This causes the cam to behave more like an offset. I could probally easily fix this with duct tape or hot melt glue. Although I never seem to get around to it after a long day of climbing followed by mandatory drinking.

I just started useing maxcams and link cams as well. They just don't seem as solid. Maybe they just have a longer learning curve!

Dan

psprings

Apr 14, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan,
Hehe, you'll have to post a review on those link cams and max cams... they all seem like they have too many moving pieces for me, but those link cams look like they have MEGA range! I'd rather keep it simple since I'm on the more stupid side of things, if you know what I mean :roll:
As far as the "slippage > offset" thing goes, I did have one of the teflon tubing pieces on the trigger move on me once that did the same type of thing... that wasn't the spring though. Because both of those teflon tubes weren't lined up, the tension wasn't quite right and one side of the cams didn't extend all of the way. I just pushed the tubing back up and haven't had any problems since.
And word on the beer after the climbs... you have to have priorities!
PS

jimdavis

Apr 15, 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dan,
Hehe, you'll have to post a review on those link cams and max cams... they all seem like they have too many moving pieces for me, but those link cams look like they have MEGA range! I'd rather keep it simple since I'm on the more stupid side of things, if you know what I mean :roll:

You don't like the supercam cause it has too many pieces, but you like the LinkCams?

Jim

Partner csgambill

Apr 15, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Dan,

You don't like the supercam cause it has too many pieces, but you like the LinkCams?

Jim

Hmm... somebody had their smartness dial turned down today. I guess reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit.

psprings

Apr 15, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, actually I was saying that they ARE more simple... I'm glad somebody got it.

So does anybody else who's been using one have any feedback? Same results, or is Metolius' product pretty consistent. Anyone else out there with different feedback on these babies?

PS

jimdavis

Apr 15, 2006, 5:01 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, actually I was saying that they ARE more simple... I'm glad somebody got it.
PS

Yeah, dont worry about me....give a shout when you need someone to shove their foot in their mouth again....

Jim

psprings

Apr 16, 2006, 3:32 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jim,
Hey, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad; obviously if you misread my earlier post, I'm sure other people did too. I just wanted to clarify.

Anyway, any other users have any input? I'm especially interested in any of you regular Camalot users. Most of my climbing partners have camalots, so I get to use those a fair amount... but have any of you BDers bought or used a Supercam? How do you think they compare?

PS

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook