RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

justsaynototake

Apr 16, 2006, 9:19 AM
Post #1 of 4 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Failure to Launch Movie Filmed at Sandrock, AL
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just went to go see the new Matthew Mconahoozawhatsit movie, Failure to Launch. In this movie Matthew Mconahoozawhatsit (Trip) is a 35 year old man who has not left the comfort of his parent's house. His parents then find a girl, Sarah Jessica Parker, to lure him out of the house by creating a romantic relationship where she suggests that he move out. All of this is besides the point.

There is a climbing scene in the movie that I found rather humorous. In the scene Trip is sport leading and a rather large lizard bites his hand causing him to take a lead fall. What I found humorous about this is that

a) He was at Sandrock (I know that because they say they filmed it in Alabama and also I remember when it was closed for the filming of a movie with Matthew Mconahoozawhatsit) and the Lizard was way bigger than any of the lizards that are actually there. This I can see was added for dramatic purposes. After all who would be scared of being bitten by a 3 or 4" lizard when you can by bitten by one that is 6 or 7".

b) Watching his belayer's technique was horrific to begin with but it happens to turn out that when his friend stops watching him climbing and bends over to grab some poweraid is the exact time when the lizard bit him causing him to fall. Since the belayer was not paying attention and I believe he let go of his break hand, Trip falls to the ground and decks on a nice cushy bed of leaves and dirt.

c) That brings me to the second thing that I found humorous. I think I could tell which climb he was on, correct me if you think I am wrong. But I think he was on Oyster on the Holiday Block. There are no such leafy places to fall on in this area (also I think for movie making purposes). But on the other hand who wants to take a 40 ft whipper, hit the deck and not have it be a nice cushy pile of leaves that I have no doubt were covering a nice soft mattress?

d) Which brings me to the fall. Trip was at the bolt or a little above when he fell (and if any of you have been to sandrock, you know it is not known for being incredibly run out). If the belayer was holding onto the break and just not looking, I am not so sure that he would deck considering where he is when he falls.

e) Last but certainly not least, he was not wearing a helmet, which although I realize there are a lot of different opinions amongst the readers of this website, I think it is stupid to not wear a helmet when leading.

I guess it's not quite as funny as I thought because making a movie with a rock climbing scene and not having it be cheesy to the general public is one thing and I guess it is expected to be a little on the cheesy side for true climbers.

Take a look for yourselves and let me know what you think about the scene. Or this could be just a waste of your time because the movie wasn't that good to begin with. So in that case I would like to say w00t to having sandrock in a movie. I am glad they didn't show any of the spray paint that is in that place because that is just disgusting and sad.

invinciblenow

Apr 16, 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #2 of 4 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Re: Failure to Launch Movie Filmed at Sandrock, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just enjoyed seeing how much trad gear he had weighing down his harness when he was doing a sport climb...

He looked like he knew how to climb though, his clipping was smooth and safe (no z-clipping or back clipping), but the route didn't look very technical... 5.6 maybe?

jabtocrag

Apr 16, 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #3 of 4 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait, the climbing portion of the movie wasn't accurate...shocker!! :roll:

porcelainsunset

Apr 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #4 of 4 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wait, the climbing portion of the movie wasn't accurate...shocker!! :roll:

Yeah, I guess the producers didnt spend enough time watching Vertical Limit to get it right. :lol: :lol:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook