RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

axelcrash

Apr 20, 2006, 1:00 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Gunks guidebook
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the best guide to have for trad climbing at the gunks?

clymber

Apr 20, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i use the todd swain and the dick williams books together....they are really good to cross refence between both of them....the pictures in the dick williams book arealot better..only real complaint about the 2 of them is that the ratings have changed on some of the routes...dont know what one to go by

Partner taino

Apr 20, 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

For the Trapps: Dick Williams' "Guide to Gunks Climbing", also known as the "Grey Dick".

For the Near Trapps: Dick Williams' "Guide to the Shawangunks - Near Trapps", also known as the "Black Dick". There are a few versions of this, one for each major cliff area. The Trapps guide is impossible to find in stores, but the Nears/Millbrook is still kicking around.

For the highlights of both: Dick Williams' "Select Rock Climbs in the Gunks" - currently out of print.

If you can't find anything else, you can get the Todd Swain "Blue Book" - however, be warned that, while it has every route, the route descriptions are horrible. If you use the Swain guide, you will inevitably "get Swained".

T

granite_grrl

Apr 20, 2006, 1:23 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

For the Trapps: Dick Williams' "Guide to Gunks Climbing", also known as the "Grey Dick".

For the Near Trapps: Dick Williams' "Guide to the Shawangunks - Near Trapps", also known as the "Black Dick". There are a few versions of this, one for each major cliff area. The Trapps guide is impossible to find in stores, but the Nears/Millbrook is still kicking around.

For the highlights of both: Dick Williams' "Select Rock Climbs in the Gunks" - currently out of print.

If you can't find anything else, you can get the Todd Swain "Blue Book" - however, be warned that, while it has every route, the route descriptions are horrible. If you use the Swain guide, you will inevitably "get Swained".

T

Agreed. I much perfer the Dick Williams books. It may cost a little more money, but its the most up to date (grey dick) and he actually climbed every route that he put in there I guess.

ericbeyeler

Apr 20, 2006, 1:34 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

T
I am looking at getting a guide to the Gunks as well. This is an updated (2005) version of the Williams books. I read about it here. Does anyone have any comments on this new one?

Eric

blueeyedclimber

Apr 20, 2006, 1:35 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

T

I think I got "swained" this weekend. Ended up getting lost a little on the second pitch of Overhanging Layback.

Partner taino

Apr 20, 2006, 2:14 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am looking at getting a guide to the Gunks as well. This is an updated (2005) version of the Williams books. I read about it here. Does anyone have any comments on this new one?

Eric

That's the "Grey Dick" I mentioned above. Excellent guide book.

T

chossmonkey

Apr 20, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gray Dick

axelcrash

Apr 21, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I dont want to end up Swained!

napoleon_in_rags

Apr 21, 2006, 2:13 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read the history of the Gunks in the Grey Dick. Its hilarious.

alpine_monk

Apr 23, 2006, 2:55 AM
Post #11 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Todd Swain's BBL (pronounced bible, stands for "big book of lies) is the way to go. a tad more adventurous... Don't be a pussy just go ground up :P edited to add that the only thing the "gray and black dicks" don't do is climb the route for you.

Partner taino

Apr 24, 2006, 4:00 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Todd Swain's BBL (pronounced bible, stands for "big book of lies) is the way to go. a tad more adventurous... Don't be a sissy just go ground up :P edited to add that the only thing the "gray and black dicks" don't do is climb the route for you.

:lol: :lol:

I was going to retort, but your response is too good. It has to stand without comment.

*clap, clap, clap*

T - Hi, my name is Tai, and... and... I've been swained on several occassions...

scrapedape

Apr 24, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

T
I am looking at getting a guide to the Gunks as well. Does anyone have any comments on this new one?

Eric

We bought it when we were up there last fall. It never steered us wrong.

piton

Apr 25, 2006, 1:07 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpine monk i think you are getting mixed up w/ the brown book of lies of the south platte. different climbing area and author.

swain guide is fine.

alpine_monk

Apr 26, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
alpine monk i think you are getting mixed up w/ the brown book of lies of the south platte. different climbing area and author.

swain guide is fine.
yeah but when I couldn't find his 14c testpiece with house sized blocks, I just had to do that old Miss Piggy route :wink:

piton

Apr 26, 2006, 5:15 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

swain guide is fine.
yeah but when I couldn't find his 14c testpiece with house sized blocks, I just had to do that old Miss Piggy route :wink:

mmm my favorite place to climb millbrook. rubel w/out a cause. did you notice the FFA date 4/1

alpine_monk

Apr 26, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no I didn't, thats funny though! I think it's in the trapps but one of the FA dates is the mid fourteen hundreds and credit goes to chis columbus.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook