Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

pastprime

Apr 20, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #51 of 55 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Re: Are climbers tree hugging hipies? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A lot of good thoughts above. In answer to the origional question, a lot of the boulderers who've discovered Ibex certainly don't have any environmental concerns passing through whatever it is they are using for brains. Ibex used to be one of my favorite places; it felt almost sacred; and I can't even stand to go there any more. They camp and build fires wherever they feel like, dotting the valley with campsites and old fire pits ; and they drive their vehicles right over the brush and grass so they can park next to the boulders to save walking 1/4 mile, leaving a network of two rut roads through what used to be a place that looked, and felt, untouched.

pastprime

Apr 20, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #52 of 55 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, ironically, I have a couple of freinds who know the author of the guidebook to Ibex, who say he complains constantly about how the place has been trashed and lost it's magic.

Duh.

Partner heximp

Apr 20, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #53 of 55 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, J Tree use to have the same problem until places were sectioned off. The forest service first blocked off most of the areas from cars. Then they made camping illegal except for certain designated sites.
Most of the region that was completely destroyed from human misuse has now recovered. It is still being heavily used by climbers, but it has returned to it's old charm.

If the place matters to you so much. I think you should fight to have the same measures used.

hazgas

Apr 21, 2006, 9:37 PM
Post #54 of 55 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rhythm, I think you also make a lot of valid points and your elaborations definitely provide some exceptions to some very general statements I made.

In reply to:
hazgas--It's nice to see you putting some real thought into your post, some of the things you said, I wholeheartedly agree with, but others I think you over-simplified a bit. I'll elaborate. You said that an environmentalist uses emotion and junk science to guide their opinions and a conservationist relies on logic and reason, I don't think it's that cut and dry. Maybe I could understand you better if you would define 'junk science'.

Okay, here's an example of what I mean by "junk science". I have met several environmentalists that love to quote MSDS sheets about chemicals in attempt to tell me how dangerous they are and should be banned. What they fail to realize is that an MSDS sheet is a legal document, not a technical one. So yeah, it tells you that everything in the world is going to give you cancer and kill you, poison your liver and brain, etc. etc. In reality, it just says that because the manufacturer doesn't want to be held liable for anything. True, there are plenty of dangerous chemicals around and proper methods are used in their disposal and handling. But telling me that acetone should be banned because of some non-technical person reads on an MSDS sheet is silly.

Another good example would be these medical "studies". Every other day I see some ridiculous statements in the media like "people who talk on the phone have a higher risk of cancer." Nevermind that the actual risk increase was statistically insignificant or the method was not 100% valid. Idiotic journals like the New England Journal of Medicine and JAMA love to publish that crap just to make them look important. (Yes, I called NEJM and JAMA idiots!)

In reply to:
I do agree (and I'm probably a bit bias here) that conservationists do use logic and reason, and speaking as one, I do have a problem with the paper industry (and surprise, it stems from logic and reason). I take no issue with logging, someone mentioned clear cutting before; and I DO have a problem with that, no the issue that I have with the paper industry is there are better alternatives. The manufacture of paper is a messy and chemical heavy process, where as if a company where to start large scale hemp (yea, I said hemp, no I don't smoke weed) paper production, it would be easier on the environment as hemp is a rather hearty plant, goes rapidly, is easy to produce sustainably, and (and I'm not 100% sure on this) takes less water to maintain than other crops. This would of course involve the legalization of hemp production which will likely never happen due in no small part to the ties between government and industry, but that's a different thread. I do agree with you about paper companies protecting their land and it's inhabitants, but this is really more of a convienient sidebar than and intention. Though I will take it over tract housing.

I definitely agree 100% that paper production is a horrible process. While I haven't been to a paper plant, we did study them and I am glad I don't work in one.

So yes, paper production is a problem but logging definitely is not.

As for the hemp, my personal opinion is that it is a smoke screen put up by drug advocates to get it legalized. But I will admit that I don't truly have all the facts on the subject.

I do know that from a clothing standpoint, synthetic fibers are probably more environmentally friendly than naturally grown ones. (I'll talk more about organic farming and stuff at the end...) The runoff from agricultural areas is pretty bad. It's destroyed a lot of the St. Johns river and the Everglades here in FL. I don't even like to eat the fish I catch because of all the mercury.

In reply to:
Second, I think we're somewhat on the same page here. Hunting does help control species overpopulation, though this is not likely their main concern. There are those overzealous indiviuals out there, some of whom I've seen overstepping their bounds (my dog has similar coloration to a deer, so I'm a little tweaky about his), but done responsibly, I take little issue here. Not to say I agree with it. Let me first define MY version of responsible: Eat what you kill, use it all. Stay within designated areas, and within season. And I know the prize is a big ol' buck, but don't kill the breeders. Oh and don't shoot my dog. PETA does cause quite a stink about all this, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's only so they can whine.

People who hunt in unethical ways, such as shooting more than the State set bag and season limits are not hunters, they are poachers.

And while hunters may not have the best interest of the animal they are killing in mind, they most definitely do have the interest of the species as a whole in mind. I will take a moment to bring the remarkable comeback of white-tailed deer and turkey in North America to your attention. That was mostly due to money used for conservation that came from the Pittman-Robertson Act (1934, I think it was set up.) The PRA is one of the BEST and far-sighted environmental laws ever set up. This act puts an excise tax on all fishing supplies, guns, ammunition, and hunting supplies. This goes into a fund that is distributed to states based on the number of hunting and fishing licenses sold in that state. The money is required to be used for conserving hunting/fishing areas and management of game on those areas. As a hunter and a fisherman, I am more than happy to pay these extra taxes.

But hunters' contributions aren't just legislatively mandated. I belong to Ducks Unlimited, which has helped purchase literally hundreds of thousands of acres all over North America to help conserve waterfowl habitat. Ultimately, it's so the ducks will thrive and we will have plenty to hunt in a sustainable fashion. Those marshes provide habitat to thousands of animals, not just ducks. There are also hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of acres set aside as private game preserves, or at least are lucrative enough in hunting leases that other development is stopped.

Compared to that, I don't think the environmentalist movements have put a drop in the bucket.

In reply to:
I don't know if we see eye to eye about recycling however. I do see what you're saying, and I absolutily agree with you about aluminum (I think the last statistic I read was that America throws away enough cans every year to rebuild the entire fleet of every airline in the country), and yes, it does take fossil fuel to recycle, but what if that energy came from a renewable resource? The issue with recycling isn't just so we don't have to make new stuff, it's also so the old stuff won't become more of a problem than it already is. Yes you're right about landfills, well, probably not 100% right, but at least some right, but that space WILL run out. It is a bubble that is going to burst at some point. If the recycling program could be modified to incoroporate more sustainable energy methods, I think it might render your arguement moot. It is a big if, unfortunatly. And as far as someone just throwing away the new product, well, that's the "it's not my problem" mentality that we should all work to change.

Yeah, of course recycling would be a great thing if energy were from a renewable, non-polluting resource. Not just recycling though, everything would benefit from that. Unfortunately, that energy source is not here. (Well, actually it is here... but the environmentalists have succeeded in stopping development of nuclear power, both in construction and research, for decades now. Which has had the wonderful effect of making us more dependent on oil and everyone's favorite fuel -- COAL!)

As for organic farming. I like the idea and think it's great. Unfortunately, it just won't work. Pesticides, fertilizers, genetic engineering, and high yield farming methods are the only way to feed the 7 billion people on the planet. Unless every 3 people in the world wants to be a farmer (which would eliminate specialization and destroy our economy, by the way) we're going to have to use these methods.

I think what a lot of it boils down to is that there are too many damn people on the planet. But, I want to live just like everyone else. I want have kids just like most people do. So there's no end in sight.

josephgdawson

Apr 21, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #55 of 55 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a climber and I am not a tree hugger or an environmentalist. I resent that liberal climbers assume that because you are climber you are a fellow liberal and enviromentalist kook.

I believe in leaving no trace, but I dont not believe in the tenets of environmentalism and global warming, which are based on lies propagated by special interest groups and 'scientists' who have been bought and paid for.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook