RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

superdiamonddave

Aug 23, 2002, 8:31 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Castleton Tower Aquisition
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am just curious if any RC.com folks have made a contribution to the cause of buying Castleton and the surrounding acreage. I have donated $20 that will be matched by Petzl and I hope that many more of you will do the same if you haven't done so already. If you have never climbed the tower, let me just say it is well worth the drive. I just can't stomach the thought of housing development and strip malls at it's base. To me, commercial development would be a serious injustice to such a pristine and rustic area. And the scenic views...WOW!!!

rollingstone

Sep 1, 2002, 4:13 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Castleton Tower Aquisition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dave: I remember reading about this in one of the climbing rags; can you post an address to send $$ to?? it would indeed be a shame for this area to be developed as they have proposed... I soloed the Kor-Ingalls route about 20 years ago one day in April, and I had the entire approach, climb and descent to myself. What an awesome place!!
Mick

superdiamonddave

Sep 3, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right On!!!
Actually, as I am at work and I do not have that magazine with me right now, I will post the information for you tomorrow.
Dave

superdiamonddave

Sep 4, 2002, 1:54 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, here goes:

Utah Open Lands
1790 South 1100 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84105

or call: 1-877-800-2874

Be sure to mention Petzl. Petzl will match the first $7500.00 that is donated. Also, your donation is tax-deductible. To be considered part of the initiative, they are asking for a donation of at least $12.50. However, I'm sure that any donation will gladly be accepted. Every dollar donated goes directly to this project so give what you can.

On another note, Utah Open Lands mailed me a really nice letter of appreciation, personalized and signed by two individuals in real ink. I thought that was a nice touch. Also, they enclosed a Utah Open Lands sticker as well as a Petzl sticker.

freeballn

Sep 4, 2002, 2:37 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just sent out a donation. I haven't yet had the opportunity to climb Castleton, but I sure hope to someday. From the pictures I have seen, and stories I have read, it sounds amazing. Thanks for the reminder David, I saw that pull out in the climbing magazine and meant to donate.

madriver

Sep 4, 2002, 3:46 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dave

I belong to the Access Fund and have been aware of the aquisition for a while. My question is this..I recently watched a program where they documented a group mountain biking a neaby ridge trail (x-treme) and then climbed Castleton Tower. Awesome adventure! I have not been there. But watching the program it looked like Castleton is one of several towers and mesa's in the area in the middle of a desert. The aquisition is for Castleton and a small amount of acreage for aproach. I'm definetly for this (I.E - look at Rumney). But it just dosen't look like an area that could or would be developed? And would the realitively small area Castleton takes up be able prevent surrounding development if it were to occur? Again I already contribute to The Access Fund and will continue to do so, but I just did not see how or where the Castleton aquisition will work? Great thread by the way Dave...I hope more people will get involved with The Access Fund becuase of it.

Mad River

"Climb it if you can"

[ This Message was edited by: madriver on 2002-09-04 09:54 ]

superdiamonddave

Sep 4, 2002, 4:07 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bob

I see what you mean. I do not know the specifics of how much land will be aquired, but it will at least be Castleton Tower and hopefully the Rectory formation as well. From my understanding the climbers campground will also be saved from development and hopefully left as is (very rustic and isolated).

I have only visited the area one time but I plan on going back someday. Maybe there is some locals on this site that can elaborate the full scale of what the Utah Open Lands are trying to do.

I don't even know if the Access Fund has a hand it this or not. I support your decision in maintaining membership with the Access Fund as I believe that they have done a great job with saving our crags. One of which is in my home state (Quartz Mountain aka Old Baldy). Actually my membership to The Fund has slipped and I need to send them some money as well.

At the very least, Castleton Tower will not fall into the hands of private ownership, but instead be accessible to all the climbers of the present as well as the future. At least that better be the case!

woodse

Sep 4, 2002, 4:46 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My donations to the Castleton Tower effort have been through attending presentations by climbers such as Timmy O'neil and Kitty Calhoun. There is usually like a $5 donation at the door and then you can buy raffle tickets and T-shirts. I would say I've probably donated around $50-$60 total. Not much but I guess it helps!

SUPPORT THIS EFFORT!!!!!

woodsE

superdiamonddave

Oct 8, 2002, 5:00 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just bringing this thread back to the top. This is a worthwhile purchase. Everyone, please give what you can.

rocknpowda

Oct 8, 2002, 5:21 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I am not mistaken, it is mainly the access that is threatened. The climbers camp and trail head is right off the road below castleton. This land and other stuff around the base could make beautiful home/ranch sites (if your into that kind of thing). I think the push is to buy the land surrounding the base of the tower and talus cone so when we climb it we have a nice place to camp and we won't have to cross anyone else's land to get to the tower Then, when we're on top, we don't have to look down on houses. I think it is currently owned by a gov't agency-maybe the school trust but I am not sure-who needs money and put it up for sale. Basically if climbers and other concerned parties don't buy it, developers will.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook