RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

crazyclimbinfool

Aug 23, 2002, 9:16 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1004 views)
Shortcut

East Coast ain't so bad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so you thnk eascoast, you don't think climbing. Sure we got the North Carolina bigwalling, and yes, up more north you'll find some good trad and maybe sport. Nothing's to say anything bad about the Gunks, legendary at least for this area. But in Virginia, people think of Civil War Battlefields, and old presidents. No one thinks about climbing meccas. Well think again. Unknown to many save the wonderful ring of climbers in the state fortunate to have a rockclimbing.com to communicate about this with, there are gems of walls nestled in the Shenandoahs, and even along side the Rivers many will call boring. We take for example, Meditation Rocks, along side the Rappahannock in Fredericksburg, this nice little spot is ideal for the newcomers, or just one time enthusiasts. But that's not all, it's got a quick little 5.12 ('Testing the Waters') and a nice overhanging 5.9(Little General). Another wonderful shot is nestled back on 694 behind Luray, 'Elizabeth Furnace' holds a strong overhanging 5.10c, that finishes in 5.7 form. (If anyone knows what this climb is rightfully called, by all means, i must know. But especially, to me at least, the place not many know about, that many should, is the perfect little natural gym for the students of Mary Washington College, and local residents, Alum Springs Park. This is a bouldering area holding many strong shots between V0-V2, as of now, who knows what else one could find. There has to be some hidden V4 or V5, maybe even up to V7, who knows.

so basically, if you aren't in california or colorado, don't give up hope. Get your butt up and go hike along a creek or river, you are bound to find something. Every state has it's little haven, Virginia is no exception.

benfieldj

Aug 23, 2002, 9:42 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1004 views)
Shortcut

East Coast ain't so bad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm biased of course but the climbing in North Carolina is about as good as you'll find anywhere. We have bigwall on Whitesides and some on Looking Glass, we have great trad climbing at Linville Gorge, Moore's Wall, Looking Glass, Stone Mountain, and Rumbling Bald just to name a few. The bouldering at Hound's Ears and Blowing Rock are known nationwide. About the only thing we don't have much of is sport.

climbinganne

Aug 23, 2002, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you two are both right, i was down your way recently and there is some great rock!!!
Have either of you been to hidden valley???

i live in PA and we have our fair share of rock here too...just some major access issues...have fun and enjoy your fall climbing weather!!!!...you just may see me there come november!!!!

crazyclimbinfool

Aug 23, 2002, 10:31 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nah, no hidden valley for me, but i've heard and have been interested. i'm actually out on the west coast for school this year, ironically enough, but when summer rolls back around, i'll be back in VA, we'll have to get a group trip somewhere fun goin.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook