Premier Sponsor:

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 26, 2006, 2:21 AM
Post #1 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

here 'I' go again (unluckly or lucky?)
Report this Post
Can't Post

well...was nearly killed today at work.....GOD FUCKING DAMNIT, the climbing season has just gotten into full swing....i'm on compo for who knows who long.....

damn near broke my hip today...and i'm 21....before the shift started, my shop steward (2nd in command type dude, just below the foreman) was joking to me about "the Short timer curse" since i start my fulltime Machinist/CNC course in 13 days (13 days)...i then laughed and told him that tomorrow (april 26th) would have been my one year anniversary of working at Continental Steel.

OK, recap, i work in a steel shop, as the first aid dude, a welder, a fitter (i do general steel fab)...on my side of the shop, we do production welding making custom steel joists....

this particular job, these joists at about 20m long, 1.5m deep (aka tall) and weigh damn near a ton each....well, me, my foreman and another welder were pulling a stack of 5 of these joist apart to get at a pipe that wasn't welded

we pulled one off and moved it, the one we were gonna weld, was going to be move and tilted on its side so i could weld it, just before i was going to wrap the chains around this joist with one of our 5 ton over head bridge cranes, the fucking thing poped out from its stack (which was at 75 degrees leaning away from me) fell towards me and knocked me over and pinned me between another joist being welded just behinde me on horses...the top flange of the joist pinned me at the left hip (right at the eliac crest) and my thumb was some how caught in that mix....i was also pinched at my right leg...the flange of the joist i was knocked onto in the back of my right knee and one of the cross member pipes cross my right shin......cuts and scrapes every where.....i did not go unconscience....me, my foreman, a welder, the steward (a gorilla of a man) pulled the joist off me which seems like 2 seconds after the whole EKKKK, Crack, Smack, Boom!...the loudest "Fuck" ever heard was yelled throughout our massive shop....i kept my headspace...i told one of the welders to get himself in a better position as we pushed it back....blah blah blah was said....shit like that has never happened...the other first aid dude wanted me to go to the hospital (which i agreed) after we limped to the first aid room... at this point my walking was at 20%.......ER, x-rayed and this and that.....i'm fucked up but nothing can really be done besides rest, sleep and doing jack all.....

i'm lucky my hip is in tack after taking a direct hit.....i'm lucky i was in a good position and none of the uprights or crossmembers got in a any critical areas......lucky a bridging clip wasn't baried in my back......lucky to be walking around like an old man.........so far, i haven't pissed blood...lucky.......

good news, i only had one cigarette through this.....took two pulls and i tossed the fucker out...gross

now i ride out my last few days on compo before school....away from a shitty shop, but still a good crew

Partner philbox

Apr 26, 2006, 2:26 AM
Post #2 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Re: here 'I' go again (unluckly or lucky?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, freaky accident man. Glad you kinda got out of it in a semi sortta Okay way. Coulda been really bad. Seems that steel truss had a mind of its own.

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 26, 2006, 2:50 AM
Post #3 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://i46.photobucket.com/...limber/me-welder.jpgheres a shot of me welding from about a month ago...

you can see the our larger "east" jig in the bottom corner, me welding the joist on the horses and finished joists standing upright in their stands..
smaller shit like this, we use the 1/2 ton jib crane...bigger stuff, one of the 2 5 ton or the 3 ton OH bridge cranes on our side of the shop...

the yellow thing at the top is the middle 5 ton crane.....the 3 ton can been seen in the distance.....its not really that dark in the shop....the extreme UVs thrown off of our 3 phase 360 volt MIG welders fuck up the camera's auto-exposure :roll:

slavetogravity

Apr 26, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #4 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear you got your self hurt Phil. That sucks man. My only advice is that you listen to every word your Physical therapist tells you, and do what he/she tells you to do with a religious devotion. Jobs, money, and ambitions come and go, but you've only got ONE body. Treat it well.

Get well soon.

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 26, 2006, 4:24 AM
Post #5 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totally aaron...

i got out of the shower....my entire right leg from ankle to just above the knee is swollen like a .....like ??...a??...really really really really swollen thingy....ah?humm.... my shin is black and red and pussing

left hip is pretty much the same....swollen and pussing from its 4 inch gash...no buising yet...sucks to move....i can stand still without pain now....moving causes lots of pain....still haven't taken anything for it yet...meh...pain i can handle....being house-ridden i can't

lol, hell, lookin forward to tomorrow...playin my guitar, read a book....hopefully its sunny so i can lounge around outside on the deck....maybe i can ask my sister to bring her dog over to keep me company over the next while....too bad the dog is retarded and doesn't know how to fetch me a beer or at least a rye-and-coke....lol

kantkatchme

Apr 26, 2006, 4:26 AM
Post #6 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that sucks. i hope at least that its raining.

as they say, lifes a bitch.

peace

Partner macherry

Apr 26, 2006, 5:03 AM
Post #7 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeezus Phil. I don't like hearing about close calls like that. I'm so glad it wasn't more serious.........sounds bad enough. get better for the may long weekend. Even if you can't climb, you can always be my belay bitch!! :D

seriously, you show up and the crown royal is on me

mmmmmkay!!!

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 26, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #8 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
seriously, you show up and the crown royal is on me

mmmmmkay!!!

i'll hold ya to that....

though ....a harness+phil's hips=OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockguide

Apr 26, 2006, 5:26 AM
Post #9 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Intense !

Bad news and could have been worse.

I am glad we managed to get out for a day of climbing last weekend! More to follow when you can get back into a harness.

best luck for the recovery, and don't push it (yeah, right. I bet you do inactive well :roll: )

Brian

blondgecko

Apr 26, 2006, 8:31 AM
Post #10 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock:

That sounds seriously nasty. Those are some strong bones you've got there.

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 26, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #11 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nasty?you should see my bed sheets...i guess this kidney patch came off in the middle of the night, what a horrable night sleep only 3-4 hours i think....though things seem on the up and up

strong bones? (milk does a body fucking good!), i guess so...as far as i understand, none of my joints are damaged....all good....as i told my foreman this morning (called work) i'm lucky to be peeing, the first time i did after the whole gong-show, i was screaming and cheering that 'i was' and that there was no blood....happiest pee of my life....though, my foreman feels pretty bad about the whole thing, i think he feels its his fault, but i think i know the exact reason, after i talked to the welder for a bit last night (the one who was working next to me at the time and helped pull the joist off me), of why the joist came down on me

as for recovery: listening to Judas Priest, Rusty (my sis's dog) is here, and i've recracked the spin on Joe Simpon's 'Game of Ghosts'. Though its over-cast here, so i guess i won't be playing my guitar on my back deck in the sun

elvislegs

Apr 26, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #12 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn dude.
glad you are ok.

if it makes you feel any better, i thought this was totally hilarious:

In reply to:
the loudest "Fuck" ever heard was yelled throughout our massive shop...

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 26, 2006, 7:18 PM
Post #13 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
damn dude.
glad you are ok.

if it makes you feel any better, i thought this was totally hilarious:

In reply to:
the loudest "f---" ever heard was yelled throughout our massive shop...

hehehehehe, profanity!....believe me man, steel workers are on par with truck drivers which are both 20% below sailors on the 'Swear Scale'

though, i'm pretty sure i yelled 'fuck' louder last night when i was watching the news and found out that Coach Mark Crawford of the Canucks was fired yesterday.....truely a depressing day it was :cry: i love that mans hair:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/...2226_crawford203.jpg
http://i.a.cnn.net/...s.ap/p1.crawford.jpg
man i hate this new GM

Partner philbox

Apr 26, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #14 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, ya gotta tell us your theory on why the steel fell on you.

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 27, 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #15 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well....its really really hard to explain..(it will probablly sound like blather)..the when why stack our joists in the stands, they sit the the previous one's 'seats' ....the seat is the small pad (typically 80mm by 100mm by 1/4inch steel, but it can vary alot) that sits on the building (ie, its the part of the joist that is welded to the I-beams)

now, we actually made a previous attempt of getting at the area to weld the missing weld....after there is 5 joists in the stands, we put a steel strap around it, crimp it, and send it off to the dip tanks to be painted.....as for the previous attempt, i cut 2 of the 4 straps, and using a crane, putted up on the particular joist pulling the end of it directly out of the stack...we attempted to weld it, but the whip of one of the welders was really being stretched and the liner was putting drag on the wire, causing a really shitty weld, thats when my foreman opted on pulling the entire joist out to do the weld properly....

i think because we pulled up on one of the joists (the one that fell on me) it was one sitting the on joist back it's seat properly, causing it to be unstable and off balance...

hope this ain't againist the TOS, i censored it....but i found this lil gem:
http://i46.photobucket.com/...limber/me-locker.jpg
anyone know who that is on my locker there????? :D :lol: 8^) :P

boondock_saint

Apr 27, 2006, 4:06 AM
Post #16 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i'm a climber, i'm not even human in my books...fucking mortals :roll:

you're right any mortal would have been totally squished in your situation!

God, I love being a rock climber ...

overlord

Apr 27, 2006, 6:25 AM
Post #17 of 17 (628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man, glad you were ok. that was really lucky.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook