RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

peterd

Apr 26, 2006, 2:10 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Who said "A tendency to inertia in the mind_____"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am trying to track down who said:
"A tendency to inertia in the mind can have great force upon the body"

It was an early mountaineer, Edward Whymper I think, but I can't find reference to it. I have googled and searched on this site.
I read it in a book many years ago.

I'd also be interested to know the approximate date it was said, if you have any idea.

Many thanks. PeterD

clayman

Apr 26, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who said "A tendency to inertia in the mind_____&qu [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not sure who said that, but Henry Miller said,"More obscene than anything is inertia"

sidepull

Apr 26, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who said "A tendency to inertia in the mind_____&am [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

someone's writing a paper, no?

peterd

Apr 27, 2006, 8:10 AM
Post #4 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies but I am looking for the specific quotation.

No, I am not writing a paper - it is a quotation that I sometimes use when presenting about Mental Toughness (in particular a psychometric measure of mental toughness called MTQ48 - it's fairly new so you probably won't have heard of it and it is unlikely to be of interest to anyone on this site, unless they are in HR or training). I also think it is very insightful and it has stuck with me for many years but I can't remember who said it, although I think it was Edward Whymper (around the turn of the century). I particularly like the fact that it was made by a mountaineer - I used to rock climb (not very well) many years ago in Snowdonia - I now just hill climb.

Thanks. PeterD

sidepull

Apr 27, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who said "A tendency to inertia in the mind_____&am [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is mental toughness a state or trait variable or an attitudinal measure? I've read about hardiness - there's an interesting study on Israeli soldiers going through bootcamp and how hardiness moderates their levels of stress. Similar?

peterd

Apr 28, 2006, 2:24 PM
Post #6 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please see www.aqr.co.uk and look under "products" if you want to know more about MTQ48. Alternatively, let me have your email address and i will send you some sample reports (as this forum is probably not an appropriate place to get into discussion about the topic).

MTQ48 is a measure of mental toughness designed, by Dr Peter Clough, et al, at Hull University, mainly for occupational use; it is aimed at being an aid to managing stress and achieving peak performance. He, Peter Clough, started by looking at previous work on hardiness (eg, Kobassa, Dienstbier, etc) and progressed from there.

The bootcamp training to which you refer sounds more like the Dienstbier model (physiological toughening leads to psychological toughening).

pastprime

Apr 28, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe it's just because you planted the idea, but your quote does sound like something I faintly remember from Wymper's book, Scrambles in the Alps. I'd have to re read the whole thing to find it, though. Not that that would be a bad thing, come to think of it.

It sounds to me like your topic would be very relevent to a climbing forum, and a lot more interesting and potentially valuable than some of the lengthy discussions about what's the best carabiner for racking tri cams. I, for one, would be very interested.

peterd

Apr 28, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many thanks for your reply and interest in MT.
I will try to find a copy of Scrambles in the Alps but if you do read it first, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.
As far as MT is concerned, my knowledge is limited to the measure (MTQ48) that Dr Peter Clough developed and I'd be happy to tell you more about that but it is designed mainly as an occupational psychological tool to help with stress/performance.
Peter has developed a peak performance/stress management workshop around it - this uses traditional approaches (breathing control, progressive muscle relaxation, etc) and more modern methods (visualisation, positive thinking, anxiety control, guided imaging, creating "cues" and biofeedback, etc).
Peter is (as I think i said) head of psychology at Hull University (England) and is a Chartered Psychologist; I am an HR consultant (also in England) , not a psychologist, and one of the things I sell is MTQ48 (amongst others), So i don't want to be seen to be using this site as a sales pitch. I am a newcomer here and don't want to upset anyone.
I suggest you have a look at www.aqr.co.uk (products) and if you then want to know more let me have your email address and I will send you some sample reports.
Thanks again for your interest.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook