Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

strangeday

Apr 29, 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #26 of 89 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Re: The climber's beer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The best beer on earth, (other than my homebrew), is Sierra Nevada Big foot ale. It is a barley wine that comes out in the spring for a limmited time, and is so yummy, you'll smile like the first time you saw boobies.

Good beer? Definitely. Better than most beers? Yes. Best beer on earth? No. I assume you haven't had a trappist westy 12 or rochefort 10.

Bigfoot's hops aren't well balanced to its malt, and in that aspect it looses out bigtime to the trappists.

HAHA, I knew that one would would get a response.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good trappist brew, and Lambics are about as good as it gets, but I NEED the hops yo! Bigfoot, Double bastard, and Dog fish 120 min. ale are the tops of my list. IT CAN'T BE TO HOPPY FOR ME!!

However, tonight I will put down my bitter, mouth assulting brews, and will sip a nice Mort Subite just for you... and yes, the westy is THE SHIZZ!!

cosmiccragsman

Apr 29, 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #27 of 89 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Coloredchalker.
Give me a couple of Newcastles Brown Ale, and I am a Happy Trad Climber :D :D :D
2nd :robert: choice would be a good bottle of Hearty Cabernet Sauvignon :robert:
Cosmiccragsman

beckerw

Apr 29, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #28 of 89 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmm...

decided to reply after all. i climb about everything except ice and i don't drink zima. even after cranking a rad 10' boulder problem.

it is quite apparent a lot of you haven't traveled too much. or you would realize that you can't be TOO choosy about malted beverage options. it can get down right desperate in the south. there are some rules i have developed.

1. always ere towards an IPA. it is hard to screw up putting in a bunch of friggin' hops. whereas crafting a fine porter such as anchor porter takes some ingenuity and knowhow.

2. do not go to a knockoff, chain brewpub unless you like really sweet beer. they are not making beer for true afficandos.

3. find the local brewpub when so lucky, and don't be afraid to sample a couple beers. chances are that one of them will be quite satisfactory.

4. when traveling into sketchy/unknown beer local, take your own! hell, you know what you like and a lot of times they won't have it.

5. when resorting to domestic beer: i would have to second PBR. not much difference between that and anything else, plus it is at least cheap. remember not to talk about said purchase to friends though. and well, maybe it isn't that important to drink anyway at this point. after all, good beer is good, and bad beer is...like urine.

6. be wary of buying "good beer" in a place that probably never sells it. i have gotten skunky beer more than once making that mistake.

tradrenn

Apr 29, 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #29 of 89 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ZYWIEC
OKOCIM ( Green Label )
OKOCIM MOCNE ( Black Label )
EB
WARKA STRONG

Scotch

I do mostly trad and also Sport, toprope and I go to gyms.

smorgasbord

Apr 29, 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #30 of 89 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my more recent and exciting beers. It was made with what we had laying around. I'd probably reduce the boil time for bittering hops, due to the large amount of dark specialty malt. I also took a gallon and dry hopped it using a large handful of Cascade leaf hops for 10 days - excellent aroma and light hop roundness. I have a set of ingredients to replicate this but with more malt, more hops and more goodness.

Black Patent Porter / Cone's Patent Porter (dry hopped)
6 lbs Amber LME
1 lb Dark DME
1 lb Light DME
4.0 oz Crystal Malt (40L)
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt
1.25 lb (!) Black Patent Malt

1.5 oz Northern Brewer (40 min boil)
1.0 oz Fuggle (10 min steep)

1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 min boil)

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast.

=====
I'm not much of a bitter beer fan, but I do like hop flavor. I like many commercial beers, but that's not too important. I will say try anything by Moonlight Brewery - he only sells kegs and the place I go regularly doesn't sell growlers of his beer, thus I make it a point to drink these brews when I have a chance. You'll find them in bars around the Bay Area.

dutyje

Apr 30, 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #31 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What would gym climbers drink .. Malt Liquor?

They would drink any type of beer, as long as it comes in a can they can then crush in their 'grip' and say f--- yeah, but deep down they wished it where a really bottle and they weren't really gym climbers.

Wow.. you nailed it. About 80% of my climbing is done in the gym, and I wish it weren't so. My beer of choice is Schlitz (the beer, not the malt liquor), which I can only find in a can, and I wish I could find it in bottles. And I have incredibly wussy grip strength (and a very active fear gland). I suck.

Partner packclimber

Apr 30, 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #32 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shinerbock all the way

mtoensing2002

Apr 30, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #33 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fat Tire. The only good beer. Colorado beer, i don't drink but i will when i get some fat tire. Amazing.

ramblin

Apr 30, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #34 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On a road trip it is PBR, Nasty Ice or whatever cheap brew I can find. I just doesn't feel right to sit around a campfire after not bathing for a week or more, and drinking a $10 bottle of brew. I usually save the good stuff for the last day of the trip.

gav

Apr 30, 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #35 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coopers Pale, a South Australian gem.

tonloc

Apr 30, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #36 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey man,

When you're scraping together every last penny for gas on that ultimate roadtrip you've always been dreaming of, there's no money left for such discriminating tastes. Besides, bottles are too fragile for the rough and tumble life of real climbers.

There's something about climbing, that as long as the beer's cold enough, almost anything tastes like the nectar of the gods.

I'll throw in my vote for tall boys of PBR or High Life or a beat-up and dented sixer of Tecate as the true flavor of the climbing life.

the old pibber is the best you can do as far as i can say...

tonloc

Apr 30, 2006, 1:07 AM
Post #37 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey man,

When you're scraping together every last penny for gas on that ultimate roadtrip you've always been dreaming of, there's no money left for such discriminating tastes. Besides, bottles are too fragile for the rough and tumble life of real climbers.

There's something about climbing, that as long as the beer's cold enough, almost anything tastes like the nectar of the gods.

I'll throw in my vote for tall boys of PBR or High Life or a beat-up and dented sixer of Tecate as the true flavor of the climbing life.

the old pibber is the best you can do as far as i can say...

mitguy

Apr 30, 2006, 1:26 AM
Post #38 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best beer I've had in a while was the FREE Fat Tire at Red Rock Rendezvous....mmmm....free beer...

Other than that, I had a Hangdog Hefeveizen at the Brewpub in Squamish (whatever it's called...good place, 'specially on 9 dollar (Canadian!) pitcher night) that was fabulous. The smoothest drink ever.

Dark stuff can be pretty good too.

I climb trad and alpine, and sometimes sport.

dumbsocrates

Apr 30, 2006, 1:26 AM
Post #39 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ZYWIEC
OKOCIM ( Green Label )
OKOCIM MOCNE ( Black Label )
EB
WARKA STRONG

Scotch

I do mostly trad and also Sport, toprope and I go to gyms.

I agree with Zywiec but Okocim isn't so good. They have a great commercial though: "Mariola ma piekne oczy. Okocim okocim spojrzeniu" :) Lomza on the other hand... that's some great stuff.

el_layclimber

Apr 30, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #40 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whether your brew of choice is a hoppy IPA, a smooth lager, a bitter stout, or a malted 40-oz. concoction that will leave you smelling like a homeless person, I find that a very simple equation will ensure maximum enjoyment on your next climbing trip:

Less gear; more beer.

At the end of almost every route, I look at the quantity of extra aluminum I hauled up with me, and say "I could have left half of this on ground." But I have never returned from a road trip telling myself "I could have left half of this beer at home."

sbaclimber

Apr 30, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #41 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whether your brew of choice is a hoppy IPA, a smooth lager, a bitter stout, or a malted 40-oz. concoction that will leave you smelling like a homeless person, I find that a very simple equation will ensure maximum enjoyment on your next climbing trip:

Less gear; more beer.

At the end of almost every route, I look at the quantity of extra aluminum I hauled up with me, and say "I could have left half of this on ground." But I have never returned from a road trip telling myself "I could have left half of this beer at home."
Words to live by, well done! 8^)

areyoumydude

Apr 30, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #42 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbers and highliners both prefer Miller Highlife. Here's Timmy O'Neil warming up for the Bridger Jack Highline in Return To Sender.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=42277

grinspoon

Apr 30, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #43 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.edesignaudio.com/.../504/24everclear.JPG

strangeday

Apr 30, 2006, 3:29 AM
Post #44 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, we need to go climbing together..... :lol:

mur

Apr 30, 2006, 4:43 AM
Post #45 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like a good crisp IPA after a day out. Hard to find anything good in Vegas though. I miss my old McMenamins Hammerhead :cry:

Tonight I had a six of redhook blond, and few ESB's as well...I'm feeling quite content.

token_redneck

Apr 30, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #46 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to have to speak up for those of us who boulder, we don't like "watery" Beer, we like Cheep beer (30 Keystones or 18 Silver Bullets for 11 bucks). So pass me another Natty Light out of the cooler to make passing out on my Crash pad feel even better.

superbum

Apr 30, 2006, 6:07 AM
Post #47 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Fat Tire. The only good beer. Colorado beer, i don't drink but i will when i get some fat tire. Amazing.

Wow...I just laughed so hard I puked. Then I remembered that people actually consider Fat Tire "really good beer," Then I puked again. Sheesh, no love for MOST New Belgium Ales (Their Bierre De Mars is tasty and a 1554 once a month is fine by me...)

Now I don't brew, but I do have some credentials...I (almost) singlehandedly stock the imported beer at Manor Market in Bishop. We have the best beer and wine selection in the eastern Sierra and the guy who taught me all I know studied under brewmasters in Belgium.

OK. That said, I am no expert. I just get to sample many diff. brews all the time. A new favorite of mine has become Hen's Tooth by Morland Brewing in England. It's a classic bottle conditioned english ale. Very good. Definately a purist tradclimber's beer. I've also heard mention earlier of Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout...VERY good, in my opinion the best oat stout I've ever had and the second best stout we carry (North Coast Russian Imperial Stout is #1) We are getting Stone's IMperial Stout anyday and I am excited....

What else, let's see. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is GOOD and their ever popular (probably the most popular "climber beer" sold in Bishop) Pale Ale is not bad. Spaten Makes very quality beer. Their Optimator is a favorite of mine and their Dunkel (dark Hefewiesse) is perfect. Rouge's Shakespeare stout is a medal winner for good reason. My favorite overal brewery has to be Anderson Valley...their IPA is my second fav. (Lagunitas IPA is #1) and their amber is everything Fat Tire wishes it could be just before realizing that it is garbage shit beer. Their Winter Solstice is amazing too.

Jeezus, I am a beer snob. Oh well, for those that just read my whole post, you understand dontcha?

I strive to be an all-around climber w/ a focus on long free routes in an alpine arena. I've been sport climbing quite a bit lately though...just waiting for the snow to melt....

vic

superbum

Apr 30, 2006, 6:10 AM
Post #48 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like a good crisp IPA after a day out. Hard to find anything good in Vegas though. I miss my old McMenamins Hammerhead :cry:

Tonight I had a six of redhook blond, and few ESB's as well...I'm feeling quite content.

What about Lost Coast Indica IPA????? I found some of that right away when I passed through. Got it at Whole foods...

dynamo_

May 1, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #49 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Black and Tan.

reg

May 1, 2006, 4:02 PM
Post #50 of 89 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trad-ite - english ale particularlly IPA's

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook