Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
What is current access situation for Halfway Dump Ontario?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

mountainmiss

May 2, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1143 views)
Shortcut

What is current access situation for Halfway Dump Ontario?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking for a good bouldering spot near Tobermory and I've come across Halfway Dump and Cave Point, only to find there have been access issues up through 2004. I can't find anything recent regarding access though. Anyone know of anything? Thanks.

darkside

May 2, 2006, 6:25 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is current access situation for Halfway Dump Ontari [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Up until last fall, I was fully involved in access in that region as head of access. Now I have handed the position to someone new because I relocated to the Rockies. I have left a good bunch of folks working on it though and I'm sure they will eventually get the issue resolved. It was looking fairly positive when I left although there were lots of details to sort out. I know there are some new people involved and as such they need to become familiar with past work, the land managers concerns, and the land managers themselves. I'm explaining this to show why things have taken additional time over other delays from the land managers.

I find the time it takes to re-open an area like this to be frustrating and I have no doubt that other climbers do too but it shows very clearly why as climbers we need to keep a low profile and be extremely aware of how the impact we have can affect our access. One afternoon of poor judgement closed this area and look at how long it has taken to develop a solution. Yet what was done would have had lesser consequences in other areas of lesser concerns that are more stable. I can assure you that this is being treated as a key issue because continued access to other areas in the Bruce will pivot on what happens at Halfway dump. An access success can be used as an example for other climbing areas.

As I said, I know the issue is still receiving attention, so please hang in there and respect the Bruce National Parks closure to bouldering because it will make the Access Committee's job a lot easier to reach an agreement on re-opening the area.

mountainmiss

May 2, 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is current access situation for Halfway Dump Ontari [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Darkside - thank you. I appreciate the thorough explaination.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook