RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

bonesz

Aug 24, 2002, 10:20 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2929 views)
Shortcut

bolts vs pro
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

how 'bout this for a small idea...only to be devils advocate, climb two routes, one with bolts previously placed (by others). The other using only pro which you place. Think of how the skill level changes, on the one hand your taking the easy way out by using the bolt already in, on the other hand how many muscle pulls does it take to place a nut, or a cam that's slightly out of reach.

I agree that if you climb a lot and go woth bolts you stand to A: carry extra weight. B: your wallet loses weight, they aren't a fortune but, still you do leave the money in the rock.

Ask yourself this; whens the last time you saw naked beautiful rock ? Not damaged or comprimised bu drill and fill ?

paintinhaler

Aug 24, 2002, 11:48 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2929 views)
Shortcut

bolts vs pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do sometimes look at it and grown. Some places its pretty bad, the bolts. But I still sport climb. Its just part of it. I was thinking maybe if someone invented a sucksion cup bolt. So it would be like trad but the bolts are not there. So as you climb set sucksion cup pro. Maybe the army could invent it. Maybe someother than a sucksion cup, but still trying to think about some way you could have removable bolts. Nevermind, im stupid.....

[ This Message was edited by: paintinhaler on 2002-08-24 17:01 ]

fisaacs

Aug 25, 2002, 12:52 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Artificial Gravitation my friend, that's what the world of sport climbing needs and the physicists won't have for another few hundred or at least 50+ years. Till then I think we should just invent better "boltaflage" to keep them from being so damn apparent. Anodized rock-colored metal?

rock_climbin_06

Aug 25, 2002, 1:37 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always wondered about that. Do they make a camo type of bolt? That would be nice for different areas. They could make them blend in so the hikers really wouldn't care anymore. I'm still looking for them so my dad and I can place a route with the new routes.
-Adam

bonesz

Aug 26, 2002, 2:12 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not create them ourselves ? A little Testors brand hobby paint and they'd be next to invisible. Then again you need to remember where they are if you can't see them.

john1987

Aug 26, 2002, 2:13 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think bolts should be used unless its a matter of life and death.
John

the_elk

Aug 26, 2002, 2:44 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of what I climb is trad... however, I am getting into a bit more of the sport side of climbing.
My theory, if it really matters, is this. If gear can be placed, there should not be a bolt. But if I'm climbin' it, and that bolt is already there, I'll use it.
It's really the 1st ascentionists perogative. But they should get permission from appropriate people involved, whoever that may be.
Cheers
Elk

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook