Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

duncan_s

May 1, 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #26 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Re: First Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
duncan_s what things have I said that you disagree with? From what I see we both are saying it is OK to use a static line depending on the situation and if a person trusts their belayer 100 percent? Is this true, or am I just speculating?

The main bit I disagree with is buying a static for climbing on. There may be situations with good belaying on a straight up route that you could get away with it, but I don't think it is worth it.

redpoint73

May 1, 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #27 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't bother with buying a short rope just to save money. You will be limited in what you can climb, and may end up having to pay for a real rope, anyway.

Look for sales and deals. Many times you can get last years rope for a discount, just because they changed colors.

As far as using a static rope, it only takes a few second of belayer inattention for their to be a bunch of slack in the system. You can end up falling quite a bit more than you planned, and loading the rope and your body much more than you think.

My advice would be to just get a nice, standard length dynamic rope. Why worry yourself about having enough rope, or whether the static is safe enough? Equipment that your life depends on is one thing you don't want to be cheap with.

wenclg1

May 1, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #28 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the real question here is, who are you people climbing with? Non-attentive belayers? 4 feet of slack? True, I don't want my life depending on faulty gear, but the gear is only as good as the people using it. I guess I don't run into the problem of not being able to TR on many sites, because I have both a static and a dynamic rope. If I know the route will require extra slack, yeah I'll use the dynamic. I also trust my belayers, with my life, and they trust me with theirs. Many people think of belaying as a break from climbing, and those are the people who I don't go climbing with, and that I wouldn't trust belaying me on a static or a dynamic line. So yeah, for your first rope, better get a dynamic, you really don't know who you will run into.

At least we all have one thing in common. We all LOVE to Climb. AND

I agree with bryanboonern that would be a great rope for you:

In reply to:
Go to www.gearexpress.com

They have a good deal on a great rope. I bought one and love it. It is a Edelweiss 10.3 mm 60 meter dynamic line. You can pick it up for $120 with free shipping.

cragkiller

May 1, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #29 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont listen to any of these people save the money and free solo so you can buy a brain bucket instead. rope is only if your going to fall and if you plan on falling then your really not climbing

krusher4

May 1, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #30 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tr'ING your not going to be taking falls more then a foot. I would get a dynamic rig because you will soon move away from top roping. I love how many new climbers (and I will get attacked for saying this) follow a path. Gym, Top-ropeing, Following either sport or trad. Then start leading up to a year or so after discovering climbing. Safer I guess.....

duncan_s

May 1, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #31 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not that bad a route really, I guess a lot depends on how close you are to the nearest rock compared to a wall, your transport and if you have more experienced mates who don't mind taking you out and have the kit.

The best way to learn is go out with a group of people who know more then you, who don't mind taking time to show you stuff and let you second routes. There is not much sport climbing in the UK, so its quite an expensive undertaking to get into trad climbing. If you are under 18 as well there is the problem of getting older people to take you out and accept liability and financially starting at the wall makes sense.

curtis_g

May 1, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #32 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the real question here is, who are you people climbing with? Non-attentive belayers? 4 feet of slack? True, I don't want my life depending on faulty gear, but the gear is only as good as the people using it. I guess I don't run into the problem of not being able to TR on many sites, because I have both a static and a dynamic rope. If I know the route will require extra slack, yeah I'll use the dynamic. I also trust my belayers, with my life, and they trust me with theirs. Many people think of belaying as a break from climbing, and those are the people who I don't go climbing with, and that I wouldn't trust belaying me on a static or a dynamic line. So yeah, for your first rope, better get a dynamic, you really don't know who you will run into.

At least we all have one thing in common. We all LOVE to Climb. AND

I agree with bryanboonern that would be a great rope for you:

In reply to:
Go to www.gearexpress.com

They have a good deal on a great rope. I bought one and love it. It is a Edelweiss 10.3 mm 60 meter dynamic line. You can pick it up for $120 with free shipping.

serriously dude, stop adding to your train wreck and just admit that you shouldn't be climbing on a static rope and that for NO reason should he prefer a static rope so he DEFINITELY shouldn't buy one for climbing.

just say it.

oh, and even with the most attentive belayer...if I'm standing on good feet on TR and jump up 3 feet for some jug... and miss!!! i should wouldn't want to be falling back 3 feet onto a static rope...

that is unless you like pissing blood.

wenclg1

May 2, 2006, 2:22 AM
Post #33 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g would you really take a 3 foot jump on a static line? I wouldn't. I'm assuming you wouldn't. So why did you bring it up? When did I ever say that a person should prefer a static line over a dynamic? Hmm. I didn't! So please stop putting your own words into my mouth, and also please stop your silly What if scenarios. If you open your mind, instead of living in your static world and read the things I have been saying, then you will realize that your reply to my post is irrelevant.

treez

May 2, 2006, 2:43 AM
Post #34 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Get a static now

Bad advice that reeks of inexperience. End of story.

wenclg1

May 2, 2006, 3:05 AM
Post #35 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Things sure look different out of context huh?

rhythm164

May 2, 2006, 3:07 AM
Post #36 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Falling a few feet on a toprope is a "what if scenerio'? I prefer a little slack in my belay as opposed to getting dragged up the rock by my belayer.

thegreytradster

May 2, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #37 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get the least expensive, full length, fattest, DYNAMIC! rope you can find.

It will stand you in good stead thru your learning years. When it is to fuzzed up to trust, make a dormat out of it. (3-5 years)

As for wenclgil

http://www.geocities.com/...on/military/huya.jpg

treez

May 2, 2006, 3:25 AM
Post #38 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Things sure look different out of context huh?

Not really. It still looks like you told him a static would be a good first rope.

Simply not true any way you shake it.

A static rope is a specialized piece of equipment for rescue workers, aid climbers, and NOLS instructors who yard beginners up climbs.

Feel free to keep digging. I don't really care, but it is entertaining, so I'll check back later.

wenclg1

May 2, 2006, 3:54 AM
Post #39 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not digging, i'm not convincing, i'm only informing, in a very kind fashion. Everyone is entitled to what they would like to believe. More information, which I will not, call as my own. Enjoy...

http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/toproping.htm#static

http://spelean.com.au/BW/TM/BWtechsta.html

http://www.acmeclimbing.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=6 (second paragraph under single ropes)

treez

May 2, 2006, 4:10 AM
Post #40 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not digging, i'm not convincing, i'm only informing, in a very kind fashion. Everyone is entitled to what they would like to believe. More information, which I will not, call as my own. Enjoy...

http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/toproping.htm#static

http://spelean.com.au/BW/TM/BWtechsta.html

http://www.acmeclimbing.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=6 (second paragraph under single ropes)

The one link that worked helped explain why you are wrong.

The combined experience of those disagreeing with you on this thread is enormous.

Find one person with more than ten years of experience to agree with you that a static rope is a good "first rope" for a beginner climber to buy.

curtis_g

May 2, 2006, 4:31 AM
Post #41 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The combined experience of those disagreeing with you on this thread is enormous.

Find one person with more than ten years of experience to agree with you that a static rope is a good "first rope" for a beginner climber to buy.

heck, find one person who has bought and climbed on a rope before...we could cut it down to like two years of experience. really...anyone?

sterlingjim

May 2, 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #42 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems the OP got more than they bargained for. I hate to get involved in such a volatile thread but what the hell.

In my humble yet expert (29 years climbing, 9 years making rope) opinion I have to say I agree with those that say a static rope is not a good choice for a beginner. The catches are hard and the lowers can be jerky and difficult even for experienced belayers.

Personally I find static ropes to be fine for long top ropes of say 30 meters or more but like I said, not for beginners.

There's another issue as well. There are a few different types of static rope with very different properties. Some are simply low stretch while others are very low stretch. Some are all nylon, some are all polyester, and some are a combination. Knowing the difference and how they will perform is something that even experienced climbers may not know.

So to answer the OP's question: Dynamic rope of a diameter of 10.2 or more. Go for the least expensive you can get.

Jim

wenclg1

May 3, 2006, 8:09 PM
Post #43 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Treez, all of the links work just fine. The one link that did come up as a hyper link is the one that am assuming that you are referring to as the one that worked. www.acmeclimbing.com/index.asp (second paragraph under single ropes)

Quote from acmeclimbing website....

In reply to:
Top-ropers and rappellers will want to choose a rope in the diameter range 11 mm down to 10.2 mm. The most common will be 10.5 mm, 10.3 mm, and 10.2 mm. These beefier ropes are more durable and offer more friction when running through carabiners and belay/rappel devices. This means the user will have a rope that will last longer and and they will be able to control the rate of descent better when rappelling or lowering someone off of a climb. If the rope is to be used for nothing but toproping and rappelling then a static rope (also called "low elongation") is a fine choice, although you can't go wrong with a dynamic rope, and if there are any plans to lead climb then the dynamic is the only choice. Check out our rope selection

This is exactly what I have been trying to say this entire time. Static is fine, to TR on, but if in doubt a dynamic is a good choice. Maybe I haven't been as clear as I thought I was. I'm not sure how the website, or any of the others posted prove me wrong. But I'm content in the ways that I choose to climb, and the people that taught me how to set up climbs. (NOLS) an organization which is internationally recognized and has more than 40 years of experience in outdoor education. Please call NOLS at their Lander, Wyoming office and ask them why they use static ropes and also let them know your feelings on the situation. I'm sure that you and they will appreciate the phone call. Their phone number is (307) 332-5300.

treez

May 3, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #44 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus Fecking Christ Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try to spell it out for you one more time.

You told the OP that he should buy a static rope now, and get a dynamic later.

FULL ON BULLSH#T!!!!!

Do you know who that was that posted above you!?!?!?!?

Does anyone really exclusively top-rope for 5 years?
One day he'd be at the crag, ready to lead, and he'd have to go buy the rope he should have bought in the first place!

So read the entire thread again and see if you get it. If not, unfortunately, there is no hope for your critical thinking skills.

jeffthecedar

May 8, 2006, 4:31 AM
Post #45 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everone for your suggestions. I ended up ordering this:http://www.rei.com/...LET_SSHP_CLIMBING_SA
It's suppossed to get to me this friday, can't wait...

treez

May 8, 2006, 4:52 AM
Post #46 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perfect.

rhythm164

May 8, 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #47 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bravo.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook