Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

threefox

May 6, 2006, 6:56 AM
Post #26 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing for 1 month did 5.11a, now I need gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
This thread is as bad as the one I saw yesterday where someone who supposedly leads ask what a Z-clip was(WTF). CLIMBING IS DANGEROUS enough without having idiots thinking that because it looks cool that they can go outside and crank 5.11's, not knowing what z-clipping, backclipping, clipping, or the right and wrong way to set up anchors, TR's, or how to bail off a route, which is obviously going to happen to this guy when he gets on an 11 outside. Then like the z-clipping monkey from yesterday, they're gonna either get so spooked that the freeze or they're gonna fall and break something or gods forbid die and my day is ruined trying to evac them down the f---ing mountain...You wanna work out your back do push-up in the safety of your home...

It's azzhowls like you that drive people away from the forums. This is a place for knowledge to flow. It's supposed to be a place for people to ask questions from more experienced climbers. This thread doesn't appear to be in the humor area, I don't think the originator was trying to act arrogant.

Obviously what ever experience you have is limited by your attitude. Remember this isn't NHB fighting it's climbing!

Hmm based on your post I wouldn't let you evac my corpse.

natrajk

May 6, 2006, 7:19 AM
Post #27 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi!

Congrats on discovering this great hobby!
I would suggest that you also take a lead course in the gym. Leading sport routes is not rocket science, but there are a couple of things you must remember. Once you start leading you will have a lot more options since there are many routes that it is impossible to set up a top rope on without leading first. The most important reason for learning to lead is that it is great fun!

Just start leading at a grade you feel comfortable with in the beginning.
The only extra gear you need for leading is some quick draws. If you start with 8 there will usually be a lot of routes you can climb (check a guidebook for your area).

Good luck!

toejam

May 6, 2006, 8:35 AM
Post #28 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen guys top-rope 5.11 fairly quickly after starting, and it certainly is normal to get immediately hooked on climbing, as we all can attest. But definitely take gym grades (and all grades for that matter) with a grain of salt when heading outdoors. Start leading on 5.6-5.8 and work your way up. When most people say they can climb 5.11, they mean that they can lead a typical 5.11 safely. Me, I climb 5.10.

rhythm164

May 6, 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #29 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
5. I don't use "tennies;" they give out shoes at the ARC, it's just that the shoes don't edge well because they have big holes in the toes and on the sides and it is annoying. I can put them on a .5" ledge and they just fall off, so I need to use my arms to hold me up.

After a month you're climbing 11's with blown out shoes? I predict the first 5.16 will be sent at this gym... Not to flame you dude, but you're in for a rude awakening when you take it to real rock.

But look on the bright side, at least you'll be jacked from holding yourself up with your arms.

For gear, I'd say check around the net, and maybe you'll catch some clearance sales or web specials. I'd steer clear of ebay, as it's not a good idea to invest in used gear. Maybe check mgear.com or gear express, sometimes even Seirra Adventure has ok deals on ropes and stuff. Happy hunting.

grinspoon

May 6, 2006, 1:07 PM
Post #30 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I encourage everybody to read the original post after a 6 pack..you think it's funny now..I split my sides last night :lol:

tradclmbr

May 6, 2006, 2:14 PM
Post #31 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

must comment here just because I dont think your getting the obvious here (and in hopes of clarifying for you why your getting shit)

.......UC Davis outdoor adventure climbing guide implies nothing but a very minimal degree of safety knowledge for setting up top ropes. Its great your stoked on climbing - no foul there - but tone down your grade blathering and you'll generally find people more supportive. Ive seen 10 year girls attending a birthday party at a climbing ym scamper up 11a - so be less impressed with yourself than you come across

The best climbers Ive ever met were so damn humble I wondered afterword if they were really who I thought they were (Kauk, Braun, Caldwell, Rodden). People who write things like "climbing for 1 month did 5.11a, now I need gear" would 99.9% of the time sh*t themselves on an exposed 5.6 outdoor climb like Big-E at the gunks. More near home for you - go try Sheister or Hardings at Sugarloaf then come back and let us know how your "working up to 5.7 - need gear and technique classes!"

rhythm164

May 6, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #32 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
. People who write things like "climbing for 1 month did 5.11a, now I need gear" would 99.9% of the time sh*t themselves on an exposed 5.6 outdoor climb like Big-E at the gunks.

You mean High E, and you're right.

mcfoley

May 6, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #33 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since when is a mountain bike or Jeep an investment?
Your JEEP becomes an "investment" when it goes from this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/.../4/8/6/4/small_a.jpg

To This (mine):
http://webpages.charter.net/...520arrow_sedona3.jpg

and eventually something like this:
http://www.quadratec.com/...Tuesday_Moab0040.jpg

it IS a jeep thing and YES you wouldn't understand...

BTW THIS TROLL (OP) sucks!!!!

majid_sabet

May 6, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #34 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If this was FJ40 land cruiser I would call it an investment, at this point it is a Jeep and you may get 1/2 what you paid so far.

atpeaceinbozeman

May 6, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #35 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If this was FJ40 land cruiser I would call it an investment, at this point it is a Jeep and you may get 1/2 what you paid so far.

The question remains.....would you be wearing a helmet?

Tom

climb_plastic

May 6, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #36 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I encourage everybody to read the original post after a 6 pack..you think it's funny now..I split my sides last night :lol:

You know what's funny too? How predictable all of your responses were going to be....How many of you guys jumped all over this guy...How many people have to tell him he's a troll and how hard it is to climb outdoors? I think he gets the point. There's a lot of haters and know it alls on this website that's for sure! Welcome to Rockclimbing dot com! Be very careful what you say on here especially if you climb indoors....

dirt_machine

May 8, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #37 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Whoops I guess I suck. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I thought that since the forum said "beginner," I wouldn't get flamed. I guess "beginner" means "experienced." Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I opted for the package at pagangear.com

I'm going to Yosemite in 2 weeks and to Cosumnes in 4 weeks. I hope this eases all of your woes.

trenchdigger

May 8, 2006, 6:29 PM
Post #38 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Re: Whoops I guess I suck. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm going to Yosemite in 2 weeks and to Cosumnes in 4 weeks. I hope this eases all of your woes.

Have fun and climb safe. I saw some frigteningly unsafe climbing there over the weekend and most were much more experienced and knowledgable than you.

Who's providing the rest of the gear you'll need to climb at these places? And the knowledge to use it? Hiring a guide?

krusher4

May 8, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #39 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You know what's funny too? How predictable all of your responses were going to be....How many of you guys jumped all over this guy...How many people have to tell him he's a troll and how hard it is to climb outdoors? I think he gets the point. There's a lot of haters and know it alls on this website that's for sure! Welcome to Rockclimbing dot com! Be very careful what you say on here especially if you climb indoors....

I thought that this is how that site works? Well and there are mountains of great info too.

Partner j_ung

May 8, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #40 of 56 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was working on 5.9's and struggling, and then all of the sudden last week I did a 5.9+, 5.10-, 5.10a, and 5.10c in one day. Then this week I did a 5.11a. I have been able to navigate several 5.10c routes without falling or anything...

The first thing you need is a napkin. :lol:

FYI (if you haven't figured it out yet): running down your list of accomplishments is called "spraying." In many circles, including this one, it's considered a bit of a social faux pas. That's the real reason why you're catching a bunch of shit -- your first three sentences on RC.com -- and it has absolutely nothing to do with your climbing.

dleighto

May 8, 2006, 6:58 PM
Post #41 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Who's providing the rest of the gear you'll need to climb at these places? And the knowledge to use it? Hiring a guide?

I am pretty sure he is playing along with the criticisim and just messing with you trenchdigger.

alex234

May 8, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #42 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow....i love these kind of posts.....this ones not quite as good as the 5.12 in a year one though

dirt_machine

May 10, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #43 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

sorry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the "spraying."

No, I'm not playing along, I'm actually going to Yosemite and Cosumnes. I am only bouldering in Yosemite, and a friend of ours has ropes and other stuff and has been climbing since the earliy 90s so he should know enough for us to learn from.

Yes, I understand now. Honestly, sorry.

joshy8200

May 10, 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #44 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Re: sorry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No, I'm not playing along, I'm actually going to Yosemite and Cosumnes. I am only bouldering in Yosemite, and a friend of ours has ropes and other stuff and has been climbing since the earliy 90s so he should know enough for us to learn from.

Yes, I understand now. Honestly, sorry.

Ohhh....ok y'all...he's just going bouldering in Yosemite. Everything is right in the world now.

bighigaz

May 10, 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #45 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF is that?! HEHEHEE... sigh...
Hehe... uh-o, here it comes...
hahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahahaha :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :D :shock: :lol: heheahhahahehaheahehehahahah This is the greatest thread ever! I love RC.com for this! Troll? Don't know, don't care! A sincere apology at the end though. Props to dirt machine. ...and if he's still trolling, please, don't stop! I'm so happy. :D

treez

May 10, 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #46 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya! I wish I could read it for the first time again. The title alone is fricken hilarious.

joshy8200

May 10, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #47 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="bighigaz"]
In reply to:
Troll? Don't know, don't care! A sincere apology at the end though. Props to dirt machine. ...and if he's still trolling, please, don't stop! I'm so happy. :D[/quote]

Same here...Don't know for sure, and don't care. It gets funnier and more convuluted each time it pops up.

I mean apparently this guy has it all...he's climbing 5.11 in his first year. Buying gear. Ohh...and not to mention his girl is climbing in the same range...And now, he's going to the big show, he's going to Yosemite...but just to boulder he says. Interesting...

Partner epoch

May 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #48 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T 2d

If you are going to buy gear (Harness, shoes, biners) Buy new... You don't want old shotty equipment that may fall apart.

200lbs 5'11" on a good day??? WTF???

skinner

May 10, 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #49 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ATTENTION WORLD
BEEN CLIMBING 30 YEARS
CAN LEAD 5.10+
at 10,000' in crampons

Where can I buy some Humility?

How Much Will it Cost?

What's The Best Kind to get?

also..
should I invest in a harness?
what color?

Partner epoch

May 10, 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #50 of 56 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what color?

Pink???

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook