Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

theirishman

May 10, 2006, 5:34 AM
Post #1 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

does the word "chick" offened you?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was climbing the other day and this lady next to me was crankin out a hard 5.12b and i said to my friend,"hey dude look at that crazy stuff that chick is pullin!" and as we look astonished cause were weak 5.10 trad people another lady behind me turn around and said in a very disgusted voice "she's not a "chick" shes a woman!!!" does anyone take offence if someone calls you a chick in a non-derogetory way?

climberbabe79

May 10, 2006, 6:34 AM
Post #2 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Re: does the word "chick" offened you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as it isn't derogatory i don't really have a problem with it, especially if i was able to climb 5.12!! I dunno, i think life's too short to worry about being too politically correct. I stand up for women who have been or are being abused, neglected etc in any way, but chucking a tanty over someone calling me a chick - i don't think so. Besides, most girls have no issues with calling guys 'hotties' etc so what's the difference?

acacongua

May 10, 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #3 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As long as it isn't derogatory i don't really have a problem with it, especially if i was able to climb 5.12!! I dunno, i think life's too short to worry about being too politically correct. I stand up for women who have been or are being abused, neglected etc in any way, but chucking a tanty over someone calling me a chick - i don't think so. Besides, most girls have no issues with calling guys 'hotties' etc so what's the difference?

So a 5.12+ climber should be okay with being called a chick? should 5.12 Black woman/man be called a "n*****"?

Life is too short not to be politically correct and cause fights over believing a word that is absent in meaning in your mind is the same in another's mind. To some, it is very pregnant with meaning and we should respect that.

Now to directly answer the original question, the term, "Chick" has a very flippant nature and said in the wrong context, is very derogatory. For example, "I'm going with my girlfriend to see a chick flick." The women you encountered may take an overall offense to the word, especially since it has often been used to imply a weaker nature of our gender.

Just be careful how you use it and realize that not all women will take the offense, but some will.

kimmyt

May 10, 2006, 1:44 PM
Post #4 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never found the word to be offensive, however I am aware that some words can seem offensive when used in a certain way when in other situations they can be completely non-offensive.

My mom calls me 'chicky' all the time, and as such I often use the term. I also tend to use it to talk about other girls, particularly if I admire them. "Man, that chick rocks!" "Check that chick out..." both of those statements when they come out of my mouth are terms of respect. A chick, to me, is someone who is edgy, hardcore, not soft.

Although, as aconcagua said, you never know how folks will react to a controversial slang word, so better not to use it around people you don't know.

I wonder... would the woman have gotten as offended if another woman had been the one to label her a chick?

Also, I tend to find the word 'girl' more offensive than chick at times like these.

K.

Partner macherry

May 10, 2006, 3:20 PM
Post #5 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i'm with kimmy, i really dislike the word 'girl',. As for chicks, i call my best girl pal chick or chicka all the time

I was at the bike park in whistler a couple of years back and my friends and i had just ridden a pretty wicked trail and some guys were watching and when we got to the bottom, we could here them say, "did you see those chicks rip?" We got a huge laugh out of it considering we were all over 34+ and moms!!!! I guess it all depends on the connotation. Used as a compliment fuck ya!!!!!

as for the chick flick thing, my women friends and i call "guy movies" sausage parties

wjca

May 10, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #6 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So a 5.12+ climber should be okay with being called a chick? should 5.12 Black woman/man be called a "n*****"?

Now to directly answer the original question, the term, "Chick" has a very flippant nature and said in the wrong context, is very derogatory. For example, "I'm going with my girlfriend to see a chick flick." The women you encountered may take an overall offense to the word, especially since it has often been used to imply a weaker nature of our gender.

1) Are you really equating the two terms?

2) The term "chick flick" is not 'very' derogatory. It may be a 'little' derogatory to some, but not 'very'.

acacongua

May 10, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #7 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

1) Are you really equating the two terms?

2) The term "chick flick" is not 'very' derogatory. It may be a 'little' derogatory to some, but not 'very'.

1) Did it sound like I was? I was drawing an analogy. A word is offensive or not and grade of climbing should not alter that.

2) I said it's a flippant term, meaning that it can take any degree between no offense to very offensive. Yes, to some it is very offensive (thus, derogatory). To others, it is not.

jakedatc

May 10, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #8 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

women use "chick" all the time .. ive especially seen this in athletic clubs

field or ice hockey/lacrosse - Chicks with sticks, biker chicks etc

some people are just wound a bit too tightly. that sucks they yelled at you for basically complementing the climber

acacongua

May 10, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #9 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As Snoop Dog said, "White people can't say nizzle." Nizzle is a new slang for the word example I used before. But if you're black, you can say it.

Often saying words about another gender, race, ethnic group can imply a viewpoint of below the speaker's status. You can't imply that if you are in the same gender, race or ethnic group targeted by the term.

jakedatc

May 10, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #10 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and you can't assume that all men are speaking to degrade women.. :x

the N word has a deep history through slavery, segregation etc.. "chick" comes no where near that even when spoken in a derogatory way.

thorne
Deleted

May 10, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #11 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but chucking a tanty over someone calling me a chick

Chucking a tanty? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aussie Chicks Rule!!!

Back to the OP, some people just need an excuse to get offended.

Glad I'm not like that. 8^)

acacongua

May 10, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #12 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and you can't assume that all men are speaking to degrade women.. :x

the N word has a deep history through slavery, segregation etc.. "chick" comes no where near that even when spoken in a derogatory way.

Um, I am not assuming that.

I'm not arguing whose top would blow faster should those words be spoken. How difficult it is to understand that a word can be offensive? Yes, there are degrees to which one is more offensive in society, but it still remains, the word "chick" can offend.

My last post was merely to point out that there are double standards (for lack of a more suitable phrase) with slang and the best quote example was that. If you hold the same status, the word spoken will not incite the anger it typically does.

If you really do your research, you'll find that the N word started out with a different meaning. Language changes.

caughtinside

May 10, 2006, 6:56 PM
Post #13 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't chick like the equivalent of dude? :?

I think I probably have more outdoor adventures with cool chicks and dudes, than men and women.

kantkatchme

May 10, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #14 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use the word all the time, but im not one to care how others take what i say.

or maybe i can pull it off because i am one.

but i'd rather be called a chick than a girl or bitch (as in "yo bitch").....

acacongua

May 10, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #15 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Disclaimer: I am not personally offended because that's hard to do with me, but I had to do research on the word and see the perspectives. Plus, I like to antagonize.

tavs

May 10, 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #16 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Disclaimer: I am not personally offended because that's hard to do with me, but I had to do research on the word and see the perspectives. Plus, I like to antagonize.

I'd be curious to hear more on what you found (derivation of the term, uses, etc), because, in general, I probably have the same perspective as Caughtinside--seeing chick and dude as pretty similar. And so on something like the "chick flick" idea, it's only derogatory when used in certain ways and those ways would still be derogatory if the term used was "women flick" (but since that doesn't have the same kind of "ring" to it.......it becomes chick flick).

climberterp

May 10, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #17 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mind the word chick generally, but it depends on the context and the tone of the person saying it. As one poster pointed out, it seems to often be used to describe a woman who's a bit hardcore/edgy/non-wimpy.....which is fine by me! 8^) I don't think it's too hard to tell when a guy is using the word in a non-derogatory way (which the OP's situation sounds like), but some people just have trigger words that really bother them no matter who says it or how it's said. Different strokes....

Words that were originally derogatory aren't always used that way.....one of my climbing partners called me a ballsy little bitch the other day and I took it for the compliment it was :) I was damn proud of that lead!!

comet

May 10, 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #18 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Re: does the word "chick" offend you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that tone and intent are generally obvious, and have a ton to do with whether or not I find "chick" (and similar) offensive. I'm generally not offended by being referred to as a chick.

But what I HATE is men referring to women as females. As in, "My FEmale knows how to take care of me" or "Damn, look at those fine FEmales."

It sounds like you're talking about a piece of meat. Please don't.

wes_allen

May 10, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #19 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Re: does the word "chick" offend you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I may have quoted this somewhere here before, but this is the best way I have seen this topic explained.

http://www.iceboxman.com/carlin/pael.php

In reply to:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those words in and of themselves. Their only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. Bullshit! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad.

girlyoutalkto

May 11, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #20 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been really offended by "chick" unless it's used in a negative way... I've used it myself sometimes... it seems like it's the equivalent of using "guy" to refer to a man.

Something that DOES bother me, though, is when a guy calls me a "dude." Am I the only one? I can't STAND it! Bugs the hell out of me.

climberbabe79

May 11, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #21 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to clarify - as some others have said - if i could climb 5.12+ and someone chose to compliment me, throwing in the word 'chick', i couldn't care less about the non-PC of it all! I'd just bloody climbed 5.12!! Woohoo!

You can be right or you can be happy. Yes others have their opinions and i too went through a stage of being totally pc and found i was extremely unhappy.

I said before i would always stand up for women, especially those in abusive situations, mainly because of my family background and relationships i have been in, but in my life, i would rather be having fun and experiencing the best life has to offer than worrying about whether someone called me a chick. If it was directed at me in a derogatory way, i would give them hell, then never be involved with them again because they are not worth my time and energy.

Thank you Thorne for your support! I also think aussie girls rule (not that i'm biased or anything!) :D

kimmyt

May 11, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #22 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep in mind that while most of us have stated that the word doesn't bother us, that doesn't mean that there aren't those out there who find it offensive. Perhaps you just happened to use a 'trigger word' for that woman. You had no way of knowing she would take it harshly, and no doubt you didn't mean it negatively, but maybe in the past that word has been used offensively towards her, and as such she is more sensitive to it's use.

granite_grrl

May 11, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #23 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Keep in mind that while most of us have stated that the word doesn't bother us, that doesn't mean that there aren't those out there who find it offensive. Perhaps you just happened to use a 'trigger word' for that woman. You had no way of knowing she would take it harshly, and no doubt you didn't mean it negatively, but maybe in the past that word has been used offensively towards her, and as such she is more sensitive to it's use.

The problem is that there are different trigger words for everybody, which makes it hard to edit our speech to accomadate that. How carefully should a person thread? Just in this thread alone we've seen a few odd triggers that I wouldn't have thought about.

oopps

May 11, 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #24 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can't moderate your speech in such a away that you wont offend anyone, unless you stop talking, so apologize and forget about it if this happens. If you are offended by a term you hear someone else using, politely ask the person not to say that around you, and forget about it. Seriously, just deal with it. The whole PC concept is really getting out of hand.

Personally, I don't find the term "chick" offensive, but then I find very little offensive. I don't like it when someone I don't know well calls me "Sweetheart" or "Dear" or similar, but even then, I just ignore it as much as possible. Life's too short to waste getting offended at other people's mistakes.

kimmyt

May 11, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #25 of 35 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think a person should moderate their speech to such an extent that they attempt to cut out all things possibly offensive. Language would probably cease to exist.

But maybe not be so astonished if someone reacts badly to a use of a word? Different strokes, different folks, you know. So if someone gets offended when you use a word that you did not mean in a negative way, like someone else said, apologize to the person and get over it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook