RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

May 11, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #1 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Static anchors for rappel stations: a warning
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry to start yet another thread about slings, daisies, PASes, etc., for anchoring, but I don't think this issue has been addressed yet. I feel the situation I'm about to describe is common enough to do so in its own thread. First a reference point... Jim Ewing's static anchor drop test results. The are the results of high-factor falls onto static materials, instead of dynamic climbing rope.

11/16" nylon, impact force 18.4kN, held
1" nylon, impact force 21.11kN, held
1/2" Spectra, impact force, 20.02kN, failed
5/8" Spectra, impact force, 19.2kN, failed
10mm Dyneema, impact force, 18.9kN, failed

In the above, don't focus on whether or not the material held or failed. Focus on the force recorded at the peak (if it held) or when it failed. The lowest number there is 18.4kN, which far too high for the average human body to absorb safely. In other words, even though 11/16" nylon held, the climber is dead from a shattered spine and internal bleeding.

Onward.

In the midst of all the recent daisy-chain/sling hoopla brought on by Jim's surprising (shocking) drop-test results, many have stated that it's still acceptable to use slings or PASes for rap anchors. Solely for convenience reasons, I'm mostly one of them. I use slings to anchor at most rappel stations.

But I have a crucial exception.

I see many a rap station (trees at the edge of cliffs come immediately to mind), which require one to thread the device while sitting above the anchor, then climbing down below it before unhooking and rappelling on. That actually puts you in the worst possible situation, where, depending on the height of the seat relative to the anchor, it is entirely possible to slip and high-factor the static sling, PAS, daisy, whathaveyou. If it happens, one will feel the full fury of Sir Isaac. One will become a human funkness device in every sense.

So, if I can hang or sit comfortably below the rap station, then yeah, I'm all about the ease of the sling. Rapping from an anchor that starts out below me, however, no way. I use the end of one rope and then untie and throw it only once I'm in position and ready to rappel.

I'm not here to tell anybody what you should and shouldn't do. I agree that it's your choice and, as long as you know the limitations of what you're using and feel that you can mitigate them, then have at it.

Now you know another limitation. Have at it. :)

kman

May 11, 2006, 5:10 PM
Post #2 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Re: Static anchors for rappel stations: a warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

How was the test set up? Was there any knots in the material?

sspssp

May 11, 2006, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry to start yet another thread about slings, daisies, PASes, etc., for anchoring, but I don't think this issue has been addressed yet. I feel the situation I'm about to describe is common enough to do so in its own thread. First a reference point... Jim Ewing's static anchor drop test results. The are the results of high-factor falls onto static materials, instead of dynamic climbing rope.

I don't know the details of this test, but I assume he is dropping a chunk of metal that is attached to the anchor. This does give really high shock values.

However, the human body inside of a harness has a lot more give. The harness will change shape and the body has a bit of give to it, unlike a piece of metal. So a person won't generate this high of static loads.

Dropping onto an anchor is going to be a shorter distance than some of the falls on a daisy while aid climbing. The metolious spectra adjustable daisy has broken in this situation, but I think part of it is due to the ajustment mechanism.

It is certainly good to be careful in this situation and using a nylon sling instead of or in addition to a spectra is a good idea also. However, I can't remember hearing of fatalities from this.

Partner j_ung

May 11, 2006, 5:31 PM
Post #4 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't know the details of this test, but I assume he is dropping a chunk of metal that is attached to the anchor. This does give really high shock values.

However, the human body inside of a harness has a lot more give. The harness will change shape and the body has a bit of give to it, unlike a piece of metal. So a person won't generate this high of static loads.

Dropping onto an anchor is going to be a shorter distance than some of the falls on a daisy while aid climbing. The metolious spectra adjustable daisy has broken in this situation, but I think part of it is due to the ajustment mechanism.

It is certainly good to be careful in this situation and using a nylon sling instead of or in addition to a spectra is a good idea also. However, I can't remember hearing of fatalities from this.

Yes, all very good points. Have at it.

findingit

May 11, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

How was the test set up? Was there any knots in the material?

Are you asking this to determine whether a knot would have caused the material to fail? Or to determine whether a knot would have absorbed some impact by tightening?

Either way I feel it matters not, considering that the impact forces are way beyond what is safe for your body and potentially your anchor (depending on the construction of it), not to mention your sling if it's girth hitched.

I will definitely take this into consideration in the situation that you describe j_ung. This has very specific relevance to one of my local areas where everything is accessed top down, many times with rap/belay anchors positioned over the edge.

Thanks for the heads-up.

clint.

dingus

May 11, 2006, 6:19 PM
Post #6 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Behold the beauty of an adjustable daisy in that scenario. And too, it will break at far lower forces!

Anyway, starts out tight and short, ease off, use guide hand to release a bit to get adjusted, once ready to rap, unclip daisy from anchor and clip to backup knot... on rappel!

DMT

mdacar

May 11, 2006, 6:31 PM
Post #7 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still fairly new at this so this question may be way off base but here goes anyway. Would it make sense to take a rope that had been retired but was still in workable condition and cut a piece and make a sling with that? Only one would be required so the extra weight would be minimal and then you would have your dynamic anchor.

pastprime

May 11, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #8 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was talking about this scenario at the Black Diamond store about a year ago, and they said one of the employees there had fallen about three feet onto a sling clipped to a bolt a couple of months before, and his back had still not recovered. It had mucked him up worse than one would ever have thought.

Regarding the sling made of dynamic rope; yes, that would work, if you wanted to haul the thing around. A loop of rope would have higher impact forces than a single strand, (but not twice as much, for reasons I don't understand), but still much lower forces than you would experience from a static sling. I suppose if you really cared, you could take a piece of rope and tie a figure 8 loop in each end and use that. If I were looking to carry something like this specifically as a shock absorber, I'd probably look for a piece of 9mm , or even 8mm rope, rated for double rope use; both for more give in a short piece, and for weight and bulk issues.

chossmonkey

May 12, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #9 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a pretty decent topic Jay. One that tends to get over looked pretty often. I think I might send a trophy your way. :)

So, what about just slapping a Screamer in between you and the anchor?

I admit, 95% of the time I just use a sling. But 95% of the time I'm confident it isn't going to become issue. Times that I think it might, I use a Screamer in my connection. For me it normally isn't an extra piece of gear if I'm doing trad routes.

I don't know if using your rope would be safer, but a Screamer is quick and easy, therefore more likely to be used. As long as your leash isn't ten feet long it should be able to absorb most of the energy if you slipped.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :tinfoilhat:

Partner robdotcalm

May 12, 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #10 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about a sling tied from 6mm perlon? Easy to carry and since it's a doubled sling, my conjecture is it would be plenty strong as well as being easy to carry.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

kubi

May 12, 2006, 2:58 AM
Post #11 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Jay, but allow me to put on my devil's advocate blouse and panties. Those force figures are for perfectly static weights being dropped on the various materials. Has anyone ever seen any data illustrating how "elastic" the human body is? Obviously a 150lb bag of guts is going to absorb some of the force from a high fall-factor fall...but how much?

bluenose

May 12, 2006, 2:27 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the third similar thread about rapping with the PP below the edge that I have read this morning. Don't know who was first.

Here's a newbie idea, let me know if it has any merit. I didn't try this yet, took my chances with the regular sling, easy stepping off raps or short walkoffs so far.

I always carry a mini HMS, redundancy, and have some cords (6 and 8mm) for cordalettes along with the webbing in my bag of tricks. The anchor is setup and I have the ATC set for rapping on the main rope with a backup set below the device. Clip a cordelette into one of the anchor points, munter onto the HMS, rap that until the ATC takes weight and the backup catches. Undo the HMS setup and away you go.

To save a step, use the cordelette as your safety while setting up the anchor. It's easy enough to provide slack to munter the HMS then go or munter with a double mule as your safety in the first place.

Issues:

Will a doubled 6 or 8mm work using a munter hitch? Perhaps undo the cordelette and just clove to the anchor point biner and use the cord as a single.

Is a double mule on a munter secure enough? Perhaps clip a biner through the loop as a safety.

Make damn sure the cord is long enough to get you past the PP, I think tying a safety knot in the end may cause more trouble than it is worth.

Any thoughts?

Jeff.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

May 12, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #13 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I question whether 3 ft. of dynamic rope vs. 3 ft. of sling material will make that much difference in reducing the impact force of the type of fall described here. Will it make the difference and will you avoid injury. It's going to be a hard fall anyway.

After all, the impact absorbtion of a dynamic rope comes from having a lot of rope out. The more rope between you and the belay, the lower the fall factor (well that's part of the equation anyway). Which is precisely why the most dangerous falls are the ones that happen when you fall directly onto the belay before putting the first piece in, with very little rope out-the factor two falls.

I like the screamer idea BTW.

Anyone know what the impact force of a fall onto 3 ft of rope would be vs. sling.

sspssp

May 12, 2006, 4:30 PM
Post #14 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I question whether 3 ft. of dynamic rope vs. 3 ft. of sling material will make that much difference in reducing the impact force of the type of fall described here. Will it make the difference and will you avoid injury. It's going to be a hard fall anyway.

I think it would make a huge difference. A 3 ft fall onto a 3 foot rope is only a factor 1 fall. A rope should handle that with ease. A 3 ft fall onto a daisy/sling is a different animal.

Re: 3 foot fall injuring back. Backs are tricky. You can step off a curb and screw your back up (at least I have).

Many years ago aid climbing (back when I aided with a fifi hook), I had a piece pop and I fell about 5 feet, and while falling my fifi hook happened to snag onto a biner of a stopper and I came to a very static stop (and people use to warn about fifi hooks breaking, I wish). I came out of it ok. Although a month later i could still see the ugly yellow marks on my hips and legs from where the harness caught me.

sterlingjim

May 12, 2006, 4:38 PM
Post #15 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/111061

Seems odd to quote myself but here:

In reply to:
Disclaimer: this is totally non scientific as it is a very small sample and should not be considered conclusive in any way shape or form. Personal results may vary and may cause serious injury or death. Listen to your mother and quit climbing.

Here's a snap shot:
approximately 4 foot drop, factor 2, 80kg, all forces in kN, all specimens are new, 2nd drops carried out 5 minutes after the 1st.

10.4mm (single) 1st drop = 7.24, 2nd drop = 9.82, held both
8.8mm (half) 1st drop= 8.95, 2nd drop = 12.15, broke at knot on 2nd
7.7mm (twin) 1st drop= 7.32, 2nd drop = 9.83, broke at knot on 2nd
8mm acc cord (for laughs) 1st drop = 13.59, broke at knot on 1st

Again, this is a SERIOUSLY HARD drop and is impossible to duplicate in real life.

pastprime

May 12, 2006, 4:43 PM
Post #16 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kubi; see my post about the Black Diamond Employee for anecdotal evidence of how much the flexibility of the body helped in at least one instance.

Others; The use of a perlon sling would be a good idea if you were sure the perlon you used was dynamic. A lot of the accessory cord sold in climbing shops is static.

As to the shock absorbtion of a short piece of climbing rope; the impact force is entirely a function of the ratio between the length of the fall and the length of the rope catching it. A 3 foot fall on 3 feet of rope creates the same impact force as a 30 foot fall on 30 feet of rope. A short piece of rope will soften a short fall as well as a long piece of rope will soften a long fall, in other words.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

May 12, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #17 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As to the shock absorbtion of a short piece of climbing rope; the impact force is entirely a function of the ratio between the length of the fall and the length of the rope catching it. A 3 foot fall on 3 feet of rope creates the same impact force as a 30 foot fall on 30 feet of rope. A short piece of rope will soften a short fall as well as a long piece of rope will soften a long fall, in other words.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

clayman

May 12, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #18 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

After all, the impact absorbtion of a dynamic rope comes from having a lot of rope out. The more rope between you and the belay, the lower the fall factor (well that's part of the equation anyway). Which is precisely why the most dangerous falls are the ones that happen when you fall directly onto the belay before putting the first piece in, with very little rope out-the factor two falls.

I like the screamer idea BTW.

Anyone know what the impact force of a fall onto 3 ft of rope would be vs. sling.

The fall factor is a ratio, it isn't simply more rope out=low fall factor.

niles

May 12, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #19 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree with Jay, but allow me to put on my devil's advocate blouse and panties. Those force figures are for perfectly static weights being dropped on the various materials. Has anyone ever seen any data illustrating how "elastic" the human body is? Obviously a 150lb bag of guts is going to absorb some of the force from a high fall-factor fall...but how much?

Sounds like a job for the Mythbusters!

kubi

May 12, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #20 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Many years ago aid climbing (back when I aided with a fifi hook), I had a piece pop and I fell about 5 feet, and while falling my fifi hook happened to snag onto a biner of a stopper and I came to a very static stop (and people use to warn about fifi hooks breaking, I wish). I came out of it ok. Although a month later i could still see the ugly yellow marks on my hips and legs from where the harness caught me.

That'd be what, like a factor 5 fall onto a steel/aluminum/static cord system? I think it's obvious that the human body absorbs a significant amount of force. According to the theoretical predictions your body should have been in two pieces windmilling towards the bottom of the cliff, Darth Maul style.

hoofers_andy

May 12, 2006, 6:31 PM
Post #21 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not going to say that concerns about breaking strength of nylon are unwarranted, but i dont know why people worry so incredibly much about static falls onto daisy chains. i'll leave out the long story and silly circumstances, but i took a nearly full-length fall onto my daisy and it barely even hurt. this was a real big fall, my daisy was clipped into a bolt at the second to last loop and i was equally high above the bolt- obviously i ended up just as far below the bolt as i started above it- a 6+ foot fall...
even under those circumstances (a 6 foot, factor two daisy chain fall) i was completely uninjured, and my daisy only blew one stitch. not one set of stitches, but ONE STITCH.
if nothing else, this made me trust my daisy more than ever. i'm not saying that every situation would turn out this nicely, just that mine did. flame away :wink:

stymingersfink

Jul 29, 2006, 8:55 PM
Post #22 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
one of the employees there had fallen about three feet onto a sling clipped to a bolt a couple of months before, and his back had still not recovered. It had mucked him up worse than one would ever have thought.

Indeed it did, but $450 in co-pay to a good chiropractor has me feeling better than ever!

Some background and a few points to make:

I was on P2 of Zodiac, cleaning back to the P1 anchors located under the roof. Since I had cam-hooked through sections on the ascent, I also had to cam-hook back through it to clean. While standing on a cam hook I reached (too far) out to the anchor and clipped it with my ladder/daisy setup. Before I could step into my ladder, the cam-hook i was standing shifted and I took a "daisy fall".

Since I was under a roof the bolt that I had clipped was approximately at nipple height, so I was NOT above the piece which caught me. The daisy I was using was 145cm (58") nylon. The impact to my hips was the worst in a fall I'd ever experienced up to that point. (Had my daisy failed my gri-gri would have caught me, however at this point there was too much slack in the system to have had the rope catch me)

Now, looking at some of the impact forces mentioned in the OP, the most conservative being in the 18kN range, let's look at just how much this really is.
    18 * 224 (lbs per kN) yields in excess of 4000lbs.

The reality is, once you begin to subjest your body to forces in excess of 1200lbs (5.3kN) you will be looking at some serious internal injuries. (is it any wonder your belay loop and harness begin to fail at about 3500lbs? While this helps to ensure the body won't be left for others to gawk at, it also obviates the need for a high-angle rescue..er, body recovery.)
In reply to:
4.2 EFFECT OF JOLT
Jolt is defined as the rate of onset of acceleration. For the range of acceleration or deceleration
considered in this study it is probably best explained as
    Initial peak acceleration

Rise time

which can be expressed in m/s(cubed) or, as in most of the papers reviewed, G/s.

The human body can tolerate very high jolt levels over very short periods of time, usually because the amplitude, or distance travelled, is small. Jolt becomes a serious problem when the duration or amplitude increases. For subjects exposed to positive G the means of constraint of the body is
important.

If the torso is positively secured, as for example in a modern ejection seat, the basic vertebral strength can be enhanced because the bulk of muscle and general body tissue provides support for very short periods of time.

It appears that most of the workers in the area of +Gz research have concentrated on tolerance of the spinal column. Where the subject individual is less securely constrained (as in an industrial
harness) the risk of spinal damage increases with high G forces and with high jolt levels
! There is greater risk of flexion of the spine, and consequent injury. There is also a risk of internal injury due to inertia of the major organs. Figure 4 illustrates how
the heart and lungs are separated from the lower organs (liver, kidneys, intestines etc) by the diaphragm. In a fall-arrest event a reasonably erect spine is, to an extent, supported by the bulk of the musculo-skeletal system, but the inner organs are more ‘loosely’ suspended and thus more affected by jolt. Swearingen [47] tells of crashes where helicopter pilots died of ruptured aortas, and argues that 10G measured at shoulder level is a survivable maximum for helicopter pilots.
Wallace and Swearingen [51] also describe a tragic case where 6 young men died in a light aircraft that hooked a power line and came to earth “in a flat attitude”. None of the victims showed any external sign of injury. All had died from “severe impact trauma to internal organs (brain, heart, liver, spleen etc)”. In both reports the levels of positive G and jolt were unknown, but the nature of the injuries alerts the reader to the vulnerability of the inner organs in conditions of high
positive G and jolt.

*Emphasis mine*

Now a tower technician, I am regularly exposing myself to the chances of sustaining a daisy fall, due to the limited anchoring possibilities at the top of said towers. The difference is, my "daisy" is actually a "fall-arresting lanyard" with built in shock absorbers. The lanyard is 6' in length, however when subjected to a fall it will deploy a "screamer" type load-limiter automatically, allowing my fall to total just over 9' while keeping impact forces under 1100lbs. It is very bulky and inflexible relative to my climbing daisy, and not nearly as versatile in it's lack of ability to adjust for length. It is the best for the circumstances however.

When will daisy's with integrated load limiters become standard equipment? Probably never (though if the marketing people get wind of this thread we may see them as early as next spring).

However, if one continues to refine their own best safe practices, they should never need it. This includes knowing what kinds of situations to avoid (like the ones mentioned above) and then finding safe ways to work around the situations when they do arise.

Remember:

The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

I knew of the dangers, yet had failed to fully appreciate just how much flirting with that danger could cost.

pastprime

Aug 2, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #23 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Styminger; two questions: How did you get down? What would you do different to keep the same thing from happening again in a similar situation?

stymingersfink

Aug 3, 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #24 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, since I was daisy'd into the bolt at the anchor and my aid-ladders were clipped to my daisy, all it took was stepping into the ladders and standing up.

At that point I was finished cleaning, so I set up the haul for the morning.

What would I have done differently to avoid the daisy fall? I should have placed a piece between me and the anchors, even if it were just another cam-hook. I was just barely within reach of the anchors at the time, if I stretched all the way out to the left. This probably contributed to the shifting cam-hook.

IOW, trying to save time by not making an intermediate placement is the principal reason it occurred.

Later in the climb (P15) while leap-frogging cam-hooks, the one I had moved onto popped in the process of stepping up. This time I was ABOVE the piece that caught me, though it was more slabby (which helped slow the fall). Suprisingly, the cam-hook I had moved off of caught me, with only a slight tweak to it's shape. Lucky for me, as I was probably 10' out from the anchors horizontally and maybe 5' above it with no gear between it and me. I still use it.

It would seem as a general rule that cutting corners to save time takes more time than doing it the way it should have been done the first time, in almost every circumstance.

Or, as a wiser man once said:

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how will you find time to do it right the second time?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook