RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

yellowhouse

May 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #1 of 4 (718 views)
Shortcut

Hypermotivated for Zion
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am in Las Vegas for work. I have this sunday (5/14) off. I would love to cruise up Moonlight Buttress. I can freeclimb up to 5.10 crack. I have never aid climbed (at least not on purpose).

I have my rack from the Gunks with me, but no etriers. Willing to invest in some.

I am hypermotived and I'll drive though the night to be in the right place to bag this puppy in a day.

I'm up for any other climbing too, but I'd really like to get up Moonlight.

grayhghost

May 11, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #2 of 4 (718 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hypermotivated for Zion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, but with St. George temps pushing 100 you will be hyperventilating from heat exhaustion.
Moonlight gets sun from 6am to 2pm. Brutal.

Check out the high, north-facing canyons of RedRocks to escape the heat.

yellowhouse

May 11, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #3 of 4 (718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aww shucks.

Thanks for the climate beta...

marc801

May 12, 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #4 of 4 (718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have this sunday (5/14) off. I would love to cruise up Moonlight Buttress. I can freeclimb up to 5.10 crack. I have never aid climbed (at least not on purpose).

I have my rack from the Gunks with me, but no etriers. Willing to invest in some.

I am hypermotived and I'll drive though the night to be in the right place to bag this puppy in a day.
It's great you're hypermotivated, but.....
Having never aid climbed, taking on an 8 pitch route with 5 of them aid, in a day, is rather ambitious, to put it mildly. Even without the 100+ degree heat and sun exposure, you probably should get some practice aid in first before going for Moonlight, esp. in a day. That practice should include both leading and jugging several pitches. However, given current temperatures, I'd say it's out of the question.

When you get back to the Gunks, try aiding Retribution or Nosedive (on a weekday when no one is around or a rainy weekend). You should be able to do either of those 100% on aid in under 40 minutes before heading onto M.B. Even C1 aid takes a lot longer than you think the first several times.

Oh yeah, you can't drive your car into Zion canyon between April and October. You have to use the NPS shuttle bus. It's free and runs very frequently (every 7 - 10 minutes) and starts at 6 or 7 AM. This has surprised more than one party.

Here's a topo:
http://www.bigwall.com/moonlite.html
....and beta:
http://www.bigwall.com/mlbbeta.html

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook