Premier Sponsor:

qwert

May 22, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #1 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

mountainbike? dirtbike? freerider?
Report this Post
Can't Post

so with all those posts on roadbikes lately, i thought id ask around about the dirty side of biking.
my good old kona lava dome is slowly falling to pieces, so i need areplacement. dirtbikes and such stuff come to mind, since having a "indestructible" bike would be nice, but a complete dirtbike would be to poser, and would suck for "normal" riding, i.e. getting to the university, riding to the crag, some small evening tours around my village (mucho uphill), or maybe some short 4day trip to italy ... and so on.
but a normal mtb? i hate it to have to adjust and replace everything when i do a few trails or little drops.

im really no mean daredevil downhiller, but i have a talent to wreck stuff, so what am i going to do?

so please ...
advice, rants about your bike, tell me how stupid i am to want a dirtbike for a transalp, praises on your killa pedals or other supreme or cheap components or whatever else you wnat to tell me.

thanks in advance

qwert

collegekid

May 23, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #2 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Re: mountainbike? dirtbike? freerider? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a roadbike and be nice to it ;) Mmm sub 20 lbs, fast riding, tight shorts...ohhh yeahhh

:D

Actually I used to have a full susp. cross country, it was light and fast and could bomb down some bad stuff, however I cracked the frame. No matter what you do, you're compromising, so just deal with it. Maybe get two bikes instead of 1.

qwert

May 25, 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #3 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

In reply to:
Get a roadbike and be nice to it ;)
i regularily take my brothers old road bikes, but i doubt that they will withstand offroad use, even if im nice to them.
In reply to:
Maybe get two bikes instead of 1.
to expensive. i want magura disk brakes, and thei are expensive enough on one bike.

qwert

ropeburn

May 25, 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #4 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look at beefy HT frames like the chameleon. Build up with reasonably light groupo, fork, and 3x laced wheelset. Throw a removable bash guard on if you have a propensity to do mean things to your rings.
Spend sometime balancing weight vs. durability and the outcome will be a good all around trail bike that doesn't break too often and can still be pedaled up hill.

Partner euroford

May 25, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #5 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a nice stumpjumper, a singletrack bike, but light fast, menuverable and certainly no slouch in the absuse department.

IMO: any offroad bike quiver should begin with a singletrack bike. being light and fast they are way more fun to ride the 90% of the time that you are just riding.

if you ride hard enough, or do enough DH/freeride stuff to exceede the limitations of a hardtail or suspended singletrack bike than i would think you can justify having both a bighit and a singletrack bike.

take it with a grain of salt: i don't hardly ride MB anymore and certainly em not up with the current trends.

bmxer

May 26, 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #6 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can build electric.

www.wildernessenergy.com

collegekid

May 26, 2006, 1:21 AM
Post #7 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you can build electric.

www.wildernessenergy.com

Heh...I doubt the electric would do much good offroad...

How's that going btw? Are you going ahead with it?

I've slowly started converting to a road bike, since it's good cross training exercise--but then again, the other day I tried pedaling hard on my electric bike, and ended up hitting 30 on the flats and 20 on uphills (my road bike = 25 on flats, 15 uphills max effort) with less effort than road bike.

The electric is good for lazy days, the roadie is good for workout.

itakealot

May 26, 2006, 6:30 AM
Post #8 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Freeride!

Please ignore the spandex wearing bier fikkers!

Go fat tire with a hardtail free ride bike with a front fork with 180MM of travel.

I was in the CZ last year and road a couple of the homegrown bikes with Shimano components and they road like butter, so if you can drive or get on a train to check out a czech bike it would be worth it.

Remember to get disc brakes. Hydralic brakes are only good for downhill.

qwert

May 26, 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #9 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Remember to get disc brakes. Hydralic brakes are only good for downhill.
?
what do you mean?
arent discbrakes (or at least the good ones) hydraulic? im looking at magura louise FR or Gustav M.

thanks for the comments so far. i will definitely get a hardtail, but im missing a few comments on uphillability (does that word even exist?).

thanks
qwert

Partner euroford

May 26, 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #10 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on the uphills...

a singletrack bike will rock on uphills, everything else will begin to progressivly suck more and more ass until you want to throw the pos wanna be motocrosser into a ditch and lay down and die.

but instead you eventually get back to the top, and weeeeeeee!!!!

bmxer

May 27, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #11 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah it works great. I built it on a mt. bike. It goes 25 mph w/out pedaling and I can get it up to 30 w/ pedaling. It's really a sweet deal if someone uses a bike for transportation.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook