RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

alpinestar

May 24, 2006, 7:37 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Boot choice...Nepal Extreme EVO or Trango Ice EVO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

My old La sportiva boots are faling apart, shame though love those boots. So I was looking for some new, and thought I would stick with Le sportiva, as they suite my foot very well.

But cant really decide if i should go for the Trango or the new extreme evo.

The Ice evo is only 1.550 per pair, but is it warm enough. I will be doing a lot of classic all day routes in the alps, some winter routs this winter so climbing in about minus 15-20, ice/mix climbing in the winter.

The Extrem evo weighs in at 2080 per pair. so somewhat heavier, but looks a lot warmer :)

Any hints about the two models??

roadman33

May 24, 2006, 7:48 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Re: Boot choice...Nepal Extreme EVO or Trango Ice EVO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the ice evo and they are warm. I have cold feet and this was my first winter with them and I was really happy. Can't say anything about the other pair. Only thing with the ice evo is it's easy to cut off the blood flow to your feet, the lace system is very good, so don;t over do it.

pebbleman

May 24, 2006, 2:59 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Extreme lacks Thinsulate but has a Gore-Tex liner, the Ice is insulated and has the draw-cord cuff. I used the Ice in the Alps, Colorado and Quebec this past season, it was reasonably warm, very stiff, maybe a little more narrow that the Extreme but the cuff is great for keeping snow out of the boots. They will not fit in an identical manner, I take a 44 in an Extreme and a 44 1/2 in the Ice so you will need to try them on.

alpinestar

May 29, 2006, 8:25 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

@pebbleman

Yeah I see it doesn't have the Thinsulate, but instead it has a Duratherm lining, but I don't know this lining??

Here is the nepal extreme Evo:
http://www.cham3s.com/...%5Cnepalevoh0506.jpg

petsfed

May 29, 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Nepal Extreme is designed and built more for long routes and pure waterfall ice. The Trango Ice is meant for shorter stuff or "extreme" alpinism. In other words, the Nepal is meant to be warmer. The Trango is meant to be more technical and sensitive. They have very different lasts from each other though. So try them both on and get what fits best.

pebbleman

May 29, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am talking about the Extreme Evo and the Ice Evo, the Nepal Evo is a whole nother ball of wax, much heavier, I'm not even sure what this boot is for but I like my boots light and supple so I can climb in 'em. Cool? This nepal boot is an older concept, maybe warmer but who wants to lug this thing around! Light is right!

neurostar

May 30, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Nepal Extreme is designed and built more for long routes and pure waterfall ice. The Trango Ice is meant for shorter stuff or "extreme" alpinism. In other words, the Nepal is meant to be warmer. The Trango is meant to be more technical and sensitive. They have very different lasts from each other though. So try them both on and get what fits best.

Don't you mean?:

Nepal Extreme: long routes, extreme alpinism
Trango: shorter stuff, waterfall ice

It would seem to me that the nepal extreme would be better suited to extreme alpinism (since it's warmer), and the Trango would be more suited to waterfall ice (since it's more technically sensitive).

alpinestar

May 30, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

@ neurostar

That where my thoughts as well, longer alpine routs over several days, the ice series would not hold their own, but again I am not sure. Think I will opt for the Nepal boot though :)

neurostar

May 31, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #9 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Extremes. They've worked well for me so far. I haven't done any extreme alpine routes or anything, but they've worked for overnight ice cragging / winter camping trips.

petsfed

May 31, 2006, 1:38 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't you mean?:

Nepal Extreme: long routes, extreme alpinism
Trango: shorter stuff, waterfall ice

It would seem to me that the nepal extreme would be better suited to extreme alpinism (since it's warmer), and the Trango would be more suited to waterfall ice (since it's more technically sensitive).

Sportiva was playing the fast and light card pretty hard. The Nepal is perfect for traditional alpinism, where you're moving fast, but not saw-off-your-toothbrush-handle fast. That's the difference between a traditional hiking boot and a running shoe on the Appalachan Trail. Both may get you to the other end, but only one will get you there in 3 months.

rhythm164

May 31, 2006, 2:15 AM
Post #11 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Nepal Extremes, the old model w/ Thinsulate, and I love them. They have a great feel. I can't say how they stack up to the Trangos, as I've never tried them, but you definitley wouldn't be disappointed w/ the Nepals

flying_dutchman

Oct 18, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey guys, I'm also looking at buying a pair of boots and i like the LaSportiva brand... Is there much of a difference specifically between the Trango Extreme Evo and the Trango Ice? Is the Trango Ice that much more technical? Both are step in cranpom boots and look very similar. The Trango ice boot has the mini gaiter.

This would be my first pair or ice boots.
I am looking to get into ice climbing alot this winter, day trips only, waterfall/vertical ice, probably not much more then -20*c / -5*f. I usually don't get cold feet so i think leather would be the better choice for me.

I figure I can get the trango extremes for $70-$90 cheaper then the trango ice cause the local store will match MEC. MEC doesn't carry the trango ice though so no discount there.

alpinestar

Nov 5, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went for the nepal evo´s and they are great!

But if you never go below -5 and dont tend to get cold feet, I think the trango would be the better choice!

flying_dutchman

Nov 5, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ended up rolling the dice and ordering a pair of boots online ~ Kayland Super Ice was a $150 off at mountainmagic in Banff. Well, got them in the mail a few days ago and they fit like a glove! They walk good, very little heel lift, climbed an indoor wall with them... few more weeks and they should see some real ice.

Stupid boots; just had to go to the local store and buy a pair of petzl crampons friday. Great, so much for buying textbooks in january.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook