Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Bridges and practising ropework and stuff.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

bluenose

May 31, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #1 of 5 (456 views)
Shortcut

Bridges and practising ropework and stuff.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been eyeing this bridge in my area that would be ideal to practise any variety of ropework skills on. It's an old railway cantelevered liftbridge that has been unused for 15 years or so. Because it is over a canal they left it in the raised position, which puts it at around 45 degrees. The rails have been removed from all the ground tracks but left in place on the raised portion of the bridge. Essentially, it's a bigassed ladder.

Any pitfalls to keep in mind with this plan?

The only thing I can think of is the treatment that they use on the old tyes MAY get on the rope and gear. It's old enough that most of it should be gone or at least not likely to come off easily onto stuff.

I was thinking of free rapelling into the water and maybe doing some jugging for practise but the canal is now open and this is right over the channel so I don't need to get clipped by some passing boat.

Any things that are good to practise?

Oh, while this may be fun, I was really thinking of this as an easy way to help get the kids used to the gear and some procedures in a reasonably safe way. The tree is good but this looks better.

Jeff.

secretagent

May 31, 2006, 7:57 PM
Post #2 of 5 (456 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bridges and practising ropework and stuff. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like fun but possibly illegal, I would be carefull.
Remember man made structures have sharp edges so be mindful of your rope, I would use slings to keep the rope off the bridge itself then you don't have to worry about getting crap on your rope.

Partner ctardi

May 31, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #3 of 5 (456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like tresspassing to me.

bluenose

May 31, 2006, 8:16 PM
Post #4 of 5 (456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The railway had donated the tracks to the local trail. While the bridge isn't technically part of the trail there are no signs, warnings or anything else and the thing is so far past being used that, unless I tried to burn it , I'm certain there are no issues. Even if there were a problem, I'd just get told to not climb on it, no worries.

Jeff.

buckyllama

May 31, 2006, 9:09 PM
Post #5 of 5 (456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a reasonable place to practice on. As long as there are no signs or obvious barriers to entry, you probably won't have any problems.

For anchoring I'd head to the hardward store and pick up a length of stout chain. It's cut-proof, won't be damaged by anything, and is easy to rig with.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook