Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Rope snaps in low FF gym fall.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

dirtineye

Jun 1, 2006, 2:33 AM
Post #201 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rope snaps in low FF gym fall. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In terms of getting useful information the thread was a wash from tjhe git go.

At last! It took 12 pages for somebody to get it. This thread never had any hope of value. It's been entertaining watching Dirtyeye's histrionics but baiting him is way too easy. Sorry to clutter the forum to prove a point....back to your regularly scheduled inanity.

LOL, what you did Roy,was make yourself the laughing stock of every person with any background in any rigorous endeavor whatsoever.

I'm so glad to provide you with that opportunity!

Juggernaut of Junkthink and Oligarch of Obfuscation, Roy and Roofdoof, two peas in a pod if ever there were any.

sterlingjim

Jun 1, 2006, 2:51 AM
Post #202 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It's been said that critical illness has been known to enlighten people to their stupidity, but I see no sign of it, in your case.

Holy crap! That statement is way across the line. That brought forum bickering to an all time low in my estimate. I think you owe dirtineye and apology and perhaps even all of rockclimbing.com. Seriously, that is just not OK.

rufusandcompany

Jun 1, 2006, 3:06 AM
Post #203 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It's been said that critical illness has been known to enlighten people to their stupidity, but I see no sign of it, in your case.

Holy crap! That statement is way across the line. That brought forum bickering to an all time low in my estimate. I think you owe dirtineye and apology and perhaps even all of rockclimbing.com. Seriously, that is just not OK.

Look at the entire picture, or feel free to continue drawing your own conclusions. Judgment runs like water in these forums. It's an innate quality among us fallible human beings, so I don't take it personally. Nor should you. What I had to say, I said, without malicious intent, directly to Dirt.

Again, read all of my posts first, or run with your own conclusions.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Jun 1, 2006, 3:22 AM
Post #204 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's entirely not right. The fact that it was directed at a particular individual is irrelevant because it was said in the open, meaning you've waived your immunity from outside criticism. Why spew something that, in addition to going way too personal, has an outstanding chance at biting you that much harder in the ass?

In reply to:
Again, read all of my posts first, or draw your own conclusions.

Having read a fair share of your posts, and having agreed with some key arguments you've made in the past, I can fairly say that the above assertion levels any positive contributions you ever may have made to this site.

sterlingjim

Jun 1, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #205 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Look at the entire picture, or feel free to continue drawing your own conclusions. Judgment runs like water in these forums. It's an inate quality among human beings, so I don't take it personally. Nor should you. What I had to say, I said directly to Dirt.

I have read all of your posts and his. I can see nothing in either of them that warrants such a statement and BTW your first post to this thread didn't go over too well. I don't take it personally but apparently you did. Jesus! that was just beyond all sense of decency. You didn't just say it to Dirt, you said it to the whole damn world. I'm all for freedom of speech but unfortunately that doesn't require a sense of when not to speak. If I were moderator I would lock this thread if not jettison it entirely.

Partner philbox

Jun 1, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #206 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I were moderator I would lock this thread if not jettison it entirely.

I am a moderator and my finger is hovering over the jettison button as we speak. This thread has gone way too far south for it to ever be redeemed.

Jun 1, 2006, 3:32 AM
Post #207 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

:righton:

treez

Jun 1, 2006, 3:38 AM
Post #208 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whitney looks right at home in this thread.

sterlingjim

Jun 1, 2006, 3:42 AM
Post #209 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I am a moderator and my finger is hovering over the jettison button as we speak. This thread has gone way too far south for it to ever be redeemed.

Please wait for the apology then let 'er rip.

Partner philbox

Jun 1, 2006, 4:00 AM
Post #210 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread has now been split with all the petty stuff sent off to community. Feel free to visit this thread http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/113860 to continue the bickering otherwise this thread shall remain for factual discussion purposes only. Please ladies and gentlemen stick to the subject and leave the other stuff in the community forum. I have not deleted any information merely reorganised it.

If anyone has any problems with any posts left in this thread then PM me and I shall shift those posts/leave them here as well upon careful review.

Over to you guys but please keep it civil and to the point, I'll not hesitate to shift any post to the other thread should it be necessary. This is an important thread to keep clean. Much interest has been shown and it is valuable to not lose the wheat amongst the chaff.

Thank you and I hope you all understand.

dirtineye

Jun 1, 2006, 4:18 AM
Post #211 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can shit can all the stuff you moved.

So much crazed stuff that is just nonsense, it can do no good.

Partner philbox

Jun 1, 2006, 4:29 AM
Post #212 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can s--- can all the stuff you moved.

So much crazed stuff that is just nonsense, it can do no good.

I'll leave it there for the time being and then maybe quietly shift it off to archives later when all the fuss dies down. People may find some stuff in there as one member already has that should reside in this thread. I'm happy to review any post that people believe should be located in here. No reasonable request will be refused.

Oh yes, we are contributing to the chaff by this short discussion so please let's get back to the subject with any quality posts.

Over.

billcoe_

Jun 1, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #213 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Oh yes, we are contributing to the chaff by this short discussion so please let's get back to the subject with any quality posts.

Over.

By way of reference to anyone wondering: Phil took approx 10 pages of speculation and personal attacks and really made this thread interesting and informative at a total of 5 pages now. The other 10 pages of baseless yelling and slander is still available as well.

Great job Phil! Kudos.

Lets settle back and wait for the test results now. Nothing we say will contribute any further facts.

I will further add: on the Supertopo thread, 2 people note incidents where battery acid ate away their clothing, and they had no idea it happened.

Rope bags save lives, I'm convinced.

My other move: at the start of the year, early spring, I will pull out the cloth covering in my trunk or back of the car, and wash it with soap and water. Every year. You never know if some fertilizer or spray might have leaked and have the potential for contact thus causing the rope to fall apart or weaken.

Rope failure is rare, and we do not know what REALLY happened to this one yet, but when you are hanging by only a single thin line........be nice to know for a fact that it is still full strength and have no doubts.

Regards:

Bill

saxfiend

Jun 1, 2006, 4:54 AM
Post #214 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Anyone wanna stop bickering? and wait...
This whole thread reminds me of what Jesus told the Teamsters . . .

JL

Haven't heard that one... what did Jesus tell the Teamsters?
Heh heh, I wondered if anyone would ever ask! :D

"Don't do anything til I get back!"

JL

rufusandcompany

Jun 1, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #215 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil,

There is no need to jettison the thread. I'll be glad to bow out. This thread was going south before I joined in, and I would rather move on than contribute to its demise.

curt

Jun 1, 2006, 6:18 AM
Post #216 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...This thread was going south before I joined in, and I would rather move on than contribute to its demise.

Absolutely hysterical. :lol:

Curt

squierbypetzl

Jun 1, 2006, 6:38 AM
Post #217 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is no need to jettison the thread. I'll be glad to bow out. This thread was going south before I joined in, and I would rather move on than contribute to its demise.

Man, why in the world would anyone want this thread to stay around? (other than for laughs, frickin´ hysterical)

It´d be easier to send this whole thing out into the darkness, where there is weeping and gnashing of the teeth, and start a new thread.

But I hope it does manage to squeeze past philbox´s wrath, it´s just too funny.

rufusandcompany

Jun 1, 2006, 7:58 AM
Post #218 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...This thread was going south before I joined in, and I would rather move on than contribute to its demise.

Absolutely hysterical. :lol:

Curt

I thought so, although I'm pretty certain that our reasons for laughter differ.

rufusandcompany

Jun 1, 2006, 8:47 AM
Post #219 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

That's entirely not right. The fact that it was directed at a particular individual is irrelevant because it was said in the open, meaning you've waived your immunity from outside criticism. Why spew something that, in addition to going way too personal, has an outstanding chance at biting you that much harder in the ass?

In reply to:

Having read a fair share of your posts, and having agreed with some key arguments you've made in the past, I can fairly say that the above assertion levels any positive contributions you ever may have made to this site.

That it was directed at one person was the entire point. You would be far less offended by my comment if you were willing to hear it as a component of everything else that I said. You, of all people, should be able to distinguish between shock & awe and passing on the truth.

My best friend has terminal cancer, and we keep it very real - something that doesn't happen much around here. There is plenty of volume in these threads, but the truth rarely gets told. Being ill does not relinquish Dirt from accountability for bad behavior. He went there, and I called him on it.

Blonde,

Let's you and I get real for a moment. The reason that you have agreed with my key points is because they make sense. You can't level sense with something with which you disagree. One does not negate the other.

You also sent me a trophy PM, because of my comment to PTC. I believe your words were, and I'm paraphrasing, That post made my day. That's interesting, considering that the comments, which brought you such elation, were not very funny to PTC. There are different levels of offended - not offensive - and my remarks to PTC didn't meet your threshold. My remarks to Dirt obviously did, so I will remind you of this: Don't be a hypocrite.

As long as Dirt is among the living, and I hope that he is here for a very long time, I will approach him with the same level of honesty that I would extend to any other intelligent human being. The truth isn't always pretty, but it beats the alternative.

There. Extrapolate to your heart's content, but the words are as they are. I said what I meant, and you got it or you didn't.

dirtineye

Jun 1, 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #220 of 358 (38034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
This thread has become pretty worthless for actually getting information about the accident. Is there a better source for info on the investigation?

I didn't notice among all the mud slinging and accusations if the following information was available:

1. How much did the climber weigh.

2. What type of belay device was used.

3. What was the diameter on the cord.

4. Was a ground anchor being used?

1. estimated 155lbs (see the 1st post in the supertopo thread.

2. ATC.

4. AFAIK Touchstone gyms do not use ground anchors.

As dingus has already pointed out, this stuff is irrelevant.

There are facts that are as yet unknown to the climbing public that will come out soon enough, one more time, WAIT.

I'm not interested in another episode of playing a rabid Mr. Spock. That gives me a headache.

wjca

Jun 1, 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #221 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^so much for bowing out (two posts later).

sterlingjim

Jun 1, 2006, 1:13 PM
Post #222 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, I vowed to myself not to get involved in these sorts of threads. I vowed to myself that I would only participate where I thought my input might be valued. I'm breaking that vow because I feel you have committed a great injustice, a rather vile act.

The above posting is grossly patronizing and pathetic. Nothing but self serving justification for crossing the line of what it means to be compassionate and civilized. You guys were trading barbs pretty aggressively but nothing truly personal. You made it personal. You took a shot at the extreme misfortune of someone else only to stroke your ego. You simply kicked a guy while he's down and that's just plain wrong.

'Keeping it real' is fine for someone that is OK with it and perhaps close to you but you have no right to treat the disease of someone else the same as you treat your friend's.

Sad, very, very sad. That's all I have to say.

dirtineye

Jun 1, 2006, 1:33 PM
Post #223 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil, I know I asked you earlier to delete this stuff, because of the dangerous modes of thinking put forth as good analytical methods.

BUT, I want to make it CLEAR, that there is no reason to delete attacks percieved or otherwise against me.

The fools that persist when they are dead wrong are best hoist on their own petard, and damned by their own words.

Let this thread stand as a memorial to rampant stupidity, that it may be forever etched in the minds of those who pursue it, and as a warning to those who would consider it.

Of course, a disclaimer should be made that the 'logic' oops the ILL-logic espoused by a few here is painful to cast one's eyes upon, and possibly dangerous if you are mislead by it, but also can be quite funny, if taken as the JOKE that it is.

I really don't have anything mean to say, now that the serious and meaningful rope thread is salvaged, and the light of reason is allowed to shine, uncovered by the dim and gloomy shrouds of ignorace and willful stupidity.

BUT, I am EXTREMELY PROUD of the appelations I created--

Juggernaut of Junkthink, and Oligarch of Obfuscation.

They fit soooo well, ROTFLMOA!!!!!!!

saxfiend

Jun 1, 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #224 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The fools that persist when they are dead wrong are best hoist on their own petard
You know, I bet that's what happened to the rope in question: it was weakened because someone used it to hoist a petard! :P

JL

dirtineye

Jun 1, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #225 of 358 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The fools that persist when they are dead wrong are best hoist on their own petard
You know, I bet that's what happened to the rope in question: it was weakened because someone used it to hoist a petard! :P

JL

John,
Did you ever get to finish your joke? now would be a good time.

I'm dying to know the answer!

(slight gallows humor there)

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook