RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ledavis23

Jan 20, 2006, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 5 (743 views)
Shortcut

place to live
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, My husband and I are mainly sporties and I'm looking for recommendations on places to climb and work. Requirements are: entry-level jobs available, rent not too high (Boulder, Bishop, too high), and able to hit lots of good climbing after work- nothing that takes more than 45 minutes to get to.
Suggest away.

flyfshmn

Jan 20, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #2 of 5 (743 views)
Shortcut

Re: place to live [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My thoughts are Colorado. Maybe Loveland or western slope. The climbing is great from Loveland, as Boulder is close by, as is RMNP.

Grand Junction, on the western slope, you have Rifle close by, Moab, Indian Creek, plus many others.

I think that the job market on the Front range is very good, unsure of the western slope.

Just my thoughts.

I lived in Colorado for 35 years - cant wait to get back home (maybe early next year :D )

Thanks
Fly

fortfun

Jun 1, 2006, 3:15 PM
Post #3 of 5 (743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SLC
super close climbing and skiiing
Cheap rent, good jobs...

whipperboy

Jun 1, 2006, 4:08 PM
Post #4 of 5 (743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you were single I'd say Lander, but beings that you're married, I'd say...well, Lander. Seriously, if you don't mind being 4 hours from the nearest major metro area (SLC, around 5ish to Denver), and you don't need a high paying job (they are few and far between), it's a pretty cool place.

Disclaimer: The social scene sucks! There are certainly cool people to hang with, but the back yard barbeque or the bar are where most social interaction takes place (aside from the crag that is).

Climbing is available 10 minutes from town, rent for a two bedroom apartment runs in the $500 range (though there are cheaper ones out there if you look), and there's lot's of entry level jobs. You can climb in Sinks Canyon pretty much year round (there were multiple days last winter when it would be 10 degrees in town and 50+ up at the wall).

Good luck in your search!

chouca

Jun 1, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #5 of 5 (743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lander is my favorite city in the USA. The job situation may be the biggest hurdle, but I can't think of a nicer place to live if you were married (Wyoming is not known for having lots of single gals), liked outdoor adventure, and were starting a family.

SLC is a great alternative if you prefer a living in metro area. The Front Range has become expensive and Californicated. It's also a 30 minutes minimum drive to the mountains or climbing anywhere but Boulder. There is also a wide expanse of bad neighborhoods there to avoid from East and North Denver into Aurora. It's still not a very dangerous city, but is not lacking ghetto crime and grime.

Marc B.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook