Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

spank_spank

Aug 28, 2002, 6:28 PM
Post #26 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Biggest or scariest whipper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ask Manboy about his whipper. Or should I say Decker.

I took a 40 footer from vertical to slab in Potrero. I think I crap my pants a little bit to.

woodse

Aug 28, 2002, 6:38 PM
Post #27 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Longest yet was a 30 footer. Mixed sport-trad lead in Moab, badly placed #1 camalot pulled, an old rusty piton caught me...2 feet from the ground! Damn I love flying!

woodsE

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 28, 2002, 6:48 PM
Post #28 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ask manboy...

You mean the one where Sonny Trotter dropped him ???

atg200

Aug 28, 2002, 6:54 PM
Post #29 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine was rope soloing an aid route on Devils Tower. Tried to do an A3 hammerless. I blew a camhook, and then blew a bunch of RPs and bronze offsets and went past a few other camhook placements before a #4 Bronze Offset caught me. I remember watching all the gear flying down the rope at me after I stopped. It was about a 40 footer, and my clove hitch system worked flawlessly.

My eyes were bugging out of my head while I prussiked back up to the offset(didn't want to use ascenders, and i didn't know about the gri-gri ascender yet). I placed a nest of about 5 and promptly bailed off. Spent the rest of the day shaking and drinking whiskey - nothing like having your first solo fall be your worst fall yet.

I also fell 35 feet and hit the ground in the Needles in South Dakota when a hold broke and I hadn't reached the first gear placement yet. That one hurt like a mother, but I walked away from it.

zippera5

Aug 28, 2002, 7:18 PM
Post #30 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

40+ footer on something interresting in the Gunks. One piece pulled and the second held. luckilly! They were both kind of shitally placed. I had placed the 2 pieces and than caught an easy stretch of the climb. Than i got to a crux and i did not have any gear on me that could fit in! I tried with everything but could go no further. What happened next is still kind of a mystery to me. i've gotten most of my info. on the fall from others that were at the crag on that fateful day.
In my usual stupid condition i was not wearing a helmet either. I wound up cracking my skull and my 3rd vertibrea. I also left the living for a moment on the air-lift to the hospital. All this and i still diden't make the accidents in N.American book that comes out yearly.
This fall was a little over 3 years ago and still affects my life in varying ways. I have learned to wear a helmet from it! You can check it out on the gunks web site also, under leader falls.

wigglestick

Aug 28, 2002, 7:33 PM
Post #31 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been pretty lucky and haven't had too many major whippers while trad climbing or aid climbing. I have taken a few 20-25 footers but nothing to get excited about.

I fell while trying to make the third clip on a sport route and the only thing that stopped me from hitting the ground is catching the rope going from the belayer to the first bolt between my legs. Ouch.

I sprained my ankle pretty bad falling 5 feet on a boulder problem in Joes Valley.

While hiking to an area called Hoot Bluff in Iowa there was a log which spanned across a loose gulley. This log had held me and hundreds of other people thousands of time before but it broke while I was in the middle and sent me for a 50' cartwheeling tumble culminating in a dead stop against a tree with my back pack strangling me and all my friends laughing at me.

[ This Message was edited by: wigglestick on 2002-08-28 12:35 ]

rockjock04

Aug 28, 2002, 9:34 PM
Post #32 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do top rope falls count?

but seriously, I love the rush. It used to be that everytime we got to go climbing, we did this thing on top rope. I discovered this . As I got about half way up the 25' foot face, I told my belayer to stop taking the slack in the rope. So when I got near the top I told him to lock it off tight. Then I just let go. It maybe was only 10 feet but it was scary. Now I cant wait to lead climb

rocknalaska

Aug 29, 2002, 5:27 PM
Post #33 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Outside the biggest whipper I've taken was at the enchanted tower in new mexico about 45ft. Not really scary though, all I hit was air.

Scariest outside was a thirty footer down a slab in vedawoo, Wy. I hadn't even gotten to the first pro. Ended up bruising both heels pretty bad, but that's all.

Inside took a twenty foot flip after a hold spun and headfirsted into the wall, got knocked unconscious for a few minutes. Also got dropped inside from about twenty feet(another hold spun and I was clipping), straight onto my back. Couldn't breath for several minutes, almost blacked out because I couldn't breathe.

Most injurious was bouldering on the 45 degree wall in Heuco. I fell from the dyno, foot went between two pads and landed on the edge of a big rock and Cracked. I thought it was just bruised really bad and went on to send later. On the walk out I realized it was pretty bad, but I didn't think it was broken. When I woke up the next morning, my foot looked like a melon. Went to the Doctor, they x-rayed and found that I had broken it in seven places on two bones.

That's the best I have.

Todd

sheppe

Aug 29, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #34 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've not had any huge whippers (I mustn't be climbing hard enough ), but I had a pretty painful one. I was leading Lil' Prana (a 10c) on the Heli-Pad at the Lonely Boy crags, in Kelowna BC, and I slipped while getting over the crux. As I fell, I got rotated and dropped about 15 ft. On the way down I hit, butt-first, an outjutting of stone. I kept on climbing for the rest of the day, but I couldn't move my leg too well. My butt cheak hurt for the next three days.

It kinda pales in comparison to some of these other injuries tho.

-Sheppe

wonder1978

Aug 30, 2002, 12:14 AM
Post #35 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scariest: I wanted to take a rest on a no2 friend placed in broken rock, as I weighted it down, the rock moved and the piece slid out, I plummeted down 15 feet towards my next pro: a sling around a bush as big as my index. As I was dangling at the end of the rope I could see the roots slowly ripping out. That bush was my only other pro. The fall would have led me 50 below the anchor and on a ledge that would have most probably killed me. I bailed out and never set foot on that route again.
cheers
Steve

climbercam

Aug 30, 2002, 12:52 AM
Post #36 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

20-35-50+

I had a 15-20 footer on natural pro in Joshua Tree much like Pelliot's in that I inadvertently got the rope caught behind my leg which flipped me on the way down. A little rope stretch but more importantly, my helmet saved me from severe brain damage and a long hospital stay. Bad rope burn and bruising, couldn't climb for weeks.

I had a freaky 35 footer on the egg wall in Little Cottonwood Canyon Utah, lost my balance right below the bolt and stopped BELOW my belayer. Freaked him out more than me. I finished it and his girlfriend voted us both off the island for being idiots.

I had a 50+ foot slider on a misdirected 5.11 variation to Grand Funk Railroad on Stone Mountain, NC. Ripped my hands & soles pretty good, stopping just 15 from the ground. A friend bandaged up my hands and I finished that one too - 600' of friction

junkie

Aug 30, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #37 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

25-30 meter winger off a run-out-to-hell 12c slab in Australia. Fell right past my belayer (hanging belay). Unscathed but shaking quite violently afterwards.

dovaka

Aug 31, 2002, 3:22 AM
Post #38 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i took about a 30 footer when i was younger my belayer who i will never climb with again wasnt paying attention for about 2 seconds on a 60' top rope and the rope went right threw his figure 8 i landed on a slab of rock and shattered my wrist and now have 3 pins in it so it sucked at the time but i bet you couldnt break it again now

rocknpowda

Sep 13, 2002, 10:21 PM
Post #39 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prestidigitator (10a), Snow Canyon State Park, Southern Utah:

I was leading the second pitch, the crux fingercrack, and realized I only had one piece that would fit the crack well. I placed it, moved up a little, placed an old TCU (before they put any traction on the lobes) in a flare and pulled out the one I knew fit well to place it a little higher. Of course the shoe goo patching the hole in my shoe didn't friction as well as sticky rubber and next thing I knew I was off. I wasn't scared at first because the tcu was at my feet, then I felt a tug as the rope tightened up on that piece but then I kept right on going. I flipped upside down and was plummeting head first "superman" style toward the ground. I had an amazing amount of clarity and could pick out the exact spot my game would end. It was grassy but had sandstone boulders strewn about. Then as I was about to hit I jerked to a stop about twenty feet off the ground. The fall had factor of two because the only gear I had in pulled and I went right by my belayer and he caught me on his harness-I was dumb and hadn't even clipped the rope through the anchor he was tied to. All in all I went about 45 feet. I only had one little scrape, but my belayer had grooves burned deep into his hands and couldn't climb for a while. Thanks again Tyler for catching me on that one!

[ This Message was edited by: rocknpowda on 2002-09-13 15:49 ]

unirock

Sep 13, 2002, 10:38 PM
Post #40 of 64 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My worse whipper was a 25 foot fall at Cedar Rock, North Carolina. Lot of run-outs in NC. I was 15 feet to the right of a #1 TCU and fell reaching for a jug. Luckily the TCU held or I'd have fallen 50+ feet. I sprained my ankle pretty bad nonetheless. That was 12 years ago.

All's well now.

-Uni

whipper

Sep 13, 2002, 10:41 PM
Post #41 of 64 (4440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a 50+ footer onto a number 1 tcu (blue Trango) in the desert sand stone of Red Rocks. My next piece was a good 20 ft below that. After I got back up to the piece I saw that it had tracked about 6 inches before catching. It broke the spring on the cam but caught me. Oh what a great day.

antimatter

Sep 16, 2002, 7:31 PM
Post #42 of 64 (4440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

20' on Sundance at Suicide.

My partner didn't want to lead the pitch so (of course) I took the lead but I had not checked out the topo for the pitch. I made the traverse past the last bolt and wrongly thought I was supposed to climb up the dihedral instead of to the right. I got a #1 nut slotted in sideways at the base of the dihedral. After climbing up and getting totally pumped, I realized I was off route. I figured, "no problem, I've got that #1 to fall straight onto." Unfortunately, when I looked down, I saw it had popped out and slid right down to the bolt. I was too pumped to down climb and told my belayer that I was about to whip and then whipped. Actually, it was more of a slide on the slab. I banged the back of my foot somehow but it was only momentarily sore. After a minute I went right back to it, made the crux move, got on-route and then stupidly slipped and fell again. At that point we decided it was a good time to bail.

I wonder who's got that REI Oval now?

sparky

Sep 16, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #43 of 64 (4440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my first trad whip was freaky, i only fel about 6 feet tops but i was 200 feet up and i had never put weight on a piece o gear that high up, let alone fall on one, that number one hex held though, but i dlon't think i have the pants anymore, they got a little soggy

lilred

Sep 16, 2002, 9:41 PM
Post #44 of 64 (4440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...I took a whipper in Rifle Canyon about a week ago, and DAMN was I lucky.
It was on an absolutely HORRID route, ("Bumblebee")... I was warming up, and having a terible day....got to the anchors, my foot blew, and I missed the deck by TWO FEET...

ccartier

Oct 3, 2009, 7:28 AM
Post #45 of 64 (967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phlyfisher] Biggest or scariest whipper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My biggest/scariest whipper happened today and i now have 7 staples in my head to prove it.

I was attempting to lead a very run out 10d. I got to the crux move at the roof and got the clip right before attempting to pull the roof. This was reassuring seeing how the last bolt was a good 15' below me. I got up over the roof and my feet were at the bolt. Now the way I was oriented made it so that I could not see the draw. Moments later I detached from the wall, expecting to have a pleasant, short fall to right below the roof. But instead I see the draw sliding down my rope and next thing I know im hanging 25' below gushing blood from the back of my head. The climb was in a corner so halfway through my fall, I hit the left side of the corner with my head before the rope caught me.

Few lessons learned today....

ALWAYS wear a helmet. I own a nice helmet and the one day i forget it I fall and split my head open.

Don't use other peoples gear without properly inspecting it first. Now I'm not saying that the gear was the total cause of the fall, I placed the draw with the gate facing the wrong way, allowing the bolt to open it... BUT the action on the bolt end of the draw was a little loose after inspecting it afterward. I feel that if i had used my draws, that have a stiffer gate action, this may have been avoided.

Someone was watching out for me today and Im just glad im able to type this post tonight.

Remember helmets are cool
-Chris

gmggg

Oct 3, 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #46 of 64 (949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ccartier] Biggest or scariest whipper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ccartier wrote:
My biggest/scariest whipper happened today and i now have 7 staples in my head to prove it.

I was attempting to lead a very run out 10d. I got to the crux move at the roof and got the clip right before attempting to pull the roof. This was reassuring seeing how the last bolt was a good 15' below me. I got up over the roof and my feet were at the bolt. Now the way I was oriented made it so that I could not see the draw. Moments later I detached from the wall, expecting to have a pleasant, short fall to right below the roof. But instead I see the draw sliding down my rope and next thing I know im hanging 25' below gushing blood from the back of my head. The climb was in a corner so halfway through my fall, I hit the left side of the corner with my head before the rope caught me.

Few lessons learned today....

ALWAYS wear a helmet. I own a nice helmet and the one day i forget it I fall and split my head open.

Don't use other peoples gear without properly inspecting it first. Now I'm not saying that the gear was the total cause of the fall, I placed the draw with the gate facing the wrong way, allowing the bolt to open it... BUT the action on the bolt end of the draw was a little loose after inspecting it afterward. I feel that if i had used my draws, that have a stiffer gate action, this may have been avoided.

Someone was watching out for me today and Im just glad im able to type this post tonight.

Remember helmets are cool
-Chris

Glad you're OK!

You might want to get checked for concussion though. You are replying to a 7 year old thread.

socalclimber

Oct 3, 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #47 of 64 (946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Biggest or scariest whipper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my biggest was around 40 feet while aid climbing. It was a nice upside down, head first gear ripping screamer. Managed to break my ankle in the fall (not badly) and self rescue back to the base.

Loads of fun...

Partner j_ung

Oct 3, 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #48 of 64 (912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Biggest or scariest whipper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've a couple 30-35 footers, but they were both clean as a whistle. All my other falls have stopped shy of 20-25 feet. I guess I'm doing something right... Tongue

amigosandiego

Oct 3, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #49 of 64 (906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spank_spank] Biggest or scariest whipper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all and good morning. Just curious. Are we adding in our rope stretch to these numbers? Reminds me of the calculations of surf...California 10ft is considered 3ft Hawaiian.

onarunning

Oct 3, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #50 of 64 (873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phlyfisher] Biggest or scariest whipper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yesterday I was top roping in the gym, doing a little stemming action on two corners. One of my feet slipped and I hit my eyebrow on a hold.

It hurt a lot.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook