RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

zeke_sf

Jun 13, 2006, 4:17 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Quantity or Quality?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing for awhile, but I have only been sport climbing a little less than a year because of a three month break (a bad move, I know). I've been fairly comfortable on up to 5.10B, usually onsighting them, and 5.10Cs happen semi-regularly. I've recently red pointed a pumpy, slightly overhanging 5.10D (first one), and I've lead on several 5.11s up to 5.11B, but those were ugly to really ugly efforts. My goal is to become a solid mid 5.11B+ climber by the end of summer. As someone who is still getting over some of the head issues associated with leading, I'd like to know if I should focus on mileage or start focusing on some projects to push me over that 5.10 hurdle? The very hardest climb I've gotten up outdoors is a 5.11D (hangdog on TR). Indoor ratings probably vary too much as a point of reference. Am I just placing too much emphasis on 5.11? Why do the harder climbs look so much cooler?

grk10vq

Jun 13, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quantity or Quality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

quanity will lead to quality.

overlord

Jun 13, 2006, 6:40 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^ ditto that.

try to climb as many DIFFERENT routes outdoor. that way youll get both your elad head and technique.

majid_sabet

Jun 13, 2006, 7:57 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a key chain saying
I AM 5.12 climber
why do not I send it to you now before you hurt your arm/fingers..... before summer doing all those hard moves

kaczoron

Jun 13, 2006, 9:18 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where I climb most harder climbs look and often climb better because they often, but not always, follow bigger and nicer features on better rock at more impressive angles. ie Slabby sandstone sport routes are hardly ever inspiring, but a steep orange arette or scooped wall says climb me now!

I think you will find that at the moment milage will set you up for a better climbing career and will help with your head no end, its hard to learn to relax on the pointy end if you are continualy over gripping due to the moves being too hard.

Proficency, at this stage, is the key to sucess.Build your self a solid grade pyramid and you will be better for it. Untill you starting to climb the odd 12 you don't need to worry to much about training as technique and time on the rock will get you there, and have you more solid, than some muscle head who needs to wire every move harder than 11a because their technique is to the shit house and can't onsite for crap.

shock

Jun 13, 2006, 9:50 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
quanity will lead to quality.

Got a point there. When I started leading i'd go out and bag 5 easy trad leads a day, but now that i've gotten better and moved up the grades i'm happy to go out a do one quality lead in a day.

fishbelly

Jun 13, 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find the grade you can consistently lead well in good style( what ever that is?) This grade should rise as your mileage does.

Pick your harder climbs intermittently and try to climb in the same style .

Throw in one every once in a while that's way harder and trash your selves.

I ve made the mistake of thinking higher numbers are better and thrashed my way up some routes.

If you work on quality mileage and challenge your selves in a consistent progression things start to come together,

cjsimpso

Jun 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Build your self a solid grade pyramid and you will be better for it.
So true. This way you get Quantity and "Quality."
(I'll assume you know better than to define Quality on difficulty alone)

musicman1586

Jun 13, 2006, 1:22 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(I'll assume you know better than to define Quality on difficulty alone)

This is very true, a climb doesn't have to be hard to be enjoyable, one of the most favorite climbs I ever did was a 10a that still even after starting to climb 11's remains as one of my most favorite climbs because the line is just a great line, the features on the rock are just really kewl and unique, and it's a climb I'll never forget even if I start climbing 14's.

zeke_sf

Jun 13, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread sort of confirms what I've been thinking. I probably need to get more climbs in the 5.10A-->D level, with the odd 5.11+ thrown in. The 5.11s I've done best on are the ones that by looks alone inspire me to climb them. The conundrum with mileage alone is that I won't usually fall on 5.10Bs, which then heightens my anxiety about falling. I start climbing more relaxed once I've taken a fall or two and that only happens on the harder climbs. Maybe I need to do the classic pyramid of climbing difficulty within my day so that I learn how to push on despite a chance of falling on the crux as well as gaining the endurance from easier stuff.

cjsimpso

Jun 13, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The conundrum with mileage alone is that I won't usually fall on 5.10Bs, which then heightens my anxiety about falling

As silly as it sometimes feels (and as hesitant as you might be...), there really is a lot to be said for taking controlled falls. I work in a gym at a University in Jersey, and I make it a regular part of my coaching to have people take falls. Most of the people I see in there - regardless of ability or experience - tend to tense up at times without ever realizing that a fear of falling is keeping them from climbing at their max. I usually encourage them to take a fall or two if they are struggling while working a project. As a result they are able to relax and climb more smoothly when they get back to it without that fear lurking in the back of their mind.

fishbelly

Jun 13, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The conundrum with mileage alone is that I won't usually fall on 5.10Bs, which then heightens my anxiety about falling

As silly as it sometimes feels (and as hesitant as you might be...), there really is a lot to be said for taking controlled falls. I work in a gym at a University in Jersey, and I make it a regular part of my coaching to have people take falls. Most of the people I see in there - regardless of ability or experience - tend to tense up at times without ever realizing that a fear of falling is keeping them from climbing at their max. I usually encourage them to take a fall or two if they are struggling while working a project. As a result they are able to relax and climb more smoothly when they get back to it without that fear lurking in the back of their mind.

Bumb it up to 10 D then 11s
Hopefully next year your will be trying to lead easy 13s like you do hard 11s

zeke_sf

Jun 13, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bumb it up to 10 D then 11s
Hopefully next year your will be trying to lead easy 13s like you do hard 11s
Hey, thanks for the encouragement :D. I'd LOVE to be in the position to even consider struggling up a 13.

caughtinside

Jun 13, 2006, 6:54 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you've got a regular area that you go to, consider picking out something that you think is just beyond your ability as a project.

That is, if you usually climb 5.10, pick out a quality .11a or b. Spend most of your day on the .10s, with two burns or so on your project. When you redpoint that project, pick another.

If you're with a stronger climber, try to get them to hang the draws on your project.

Remember, it's sport climbing, there's no reason to onsite everything. If you try stuff that you think is too hard, you'll be amazed by what you find is possible (but don't blow up your elbows cranking.)

I'd also suggest that on routes where it's safe, never give the 'take' command. Just commit to doing the route, and take the fall if you can't do the moves.

slablizard

Jun 13, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Zach.

I guess the harder routes look "cooler" because they generally are on more compact and solid rock, with fewer holds and less "dirt" or loose rock. One good way to improve is to start working on something way above your head (at first) and get comfortable pulling on holds definitely smaller than before, or on steeper rock, you'll be surprised. Later going back on 10d or 11d will feel so much better. As for efficiency repeating a route you already know climbing "perfect" helps a lot learn how to climb as efficiently as possible. Last but not least neing comfotable with falls makes you willing to push "that" move more when you are pumped and (maybe) succeed in your project without having the risk of a fall stop you, or make you climb uncoordinated.

zeke_sf

Jun 15, 2006, 5:49 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see what you said about less "dirt" or loose rock. When you came by to say "hi" at G-wall when I was on that 5.10something, I could have dislodged a few rocks that would take down the belayer (and me, I guess). Your advice about efficiency is good. I've been doing that at the gym a lot with trying to climb with straighter arms, etc.. I've got to get over that hurdle of being OK to fall. I get there with a few falls, but it is much easier to say "ok" than it is to feel it. I think I just need to get wrapped up in the process of climbing more than I am the idea of "I climbed this 5.Whatever."

In reply to:
Hey Zach.

I guess the harder routes look "cooler" because they generally are on more compact and solid rock, with fewer holds and less "dirt" or loose rock. One good way to improve is to start working on something way above your head (at first) and get comfortable pulling on holds definitely smaller than before, or on steeper rock, you'll be surprised. Later going back on 10d or 11d will feel so much better. As for efficiency repeating a route you already know climbing "perfect" helps a lot learn how to climb as efficiently as possible. Last but not least neing comfotable with falls makes you willing to push "that" move more when you are pumped and (maybe) succeed in your project without having the risk of a fall stop you, or make you climb uncoordinated.

zeke_sf

Jun 15, 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The responses I've gotten encapsulate a lot of good advice. A rare thing, really. Commital to the climb is a large asset for the climber, is what I gather. I'm sometimes so steeped in that "morbid" state of mind, that I forget I'm "sportclimbing." Sure, there are those 2nd bolt decking propositions, but most of sport climbing involves a rapid acceleration followed by giddyness. I just feel honored to put my monkey paws on these ancient relics everytime I go outdoors. Thanks again.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook