RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

natrajk

Jun 13, 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #1 of 6 (952 views)
Shortcut

Serenity 8.9mm as Half-rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi!

What do you guys and girls think about using the new Mammut 8.9 Serenity rope as a half rope? It is a bit heavier than most half ropes, but it is also way stronger.

Is the extra weight worth the extra security, or should I just buy a regular half-rope?

regards
Kjartan, Norway

sterlingjim

Jun 13, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (950 views)
Shortcut

Re: Serenity 8.9mm as Half-rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't mind the extra weight and the extra expense, probably around an extra $70.US per rope, they would be fine as half ropes. The sheath of these new breeds of super skinny ropes is thinner than ordinary ropes so overall durability may be a bit less than you would expect. The sheath is thinner because in the designing of these ropes there is a minimum amount of core necessary to survive the single rope drop tests. The only way to make the rope skinnier then and still pass the test is to thin out the sheath.

natrajk

Jun 13, 2006, 1:50 PM
Post #3 of 6 (950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply!

So what you're saying is that these ropes will be less durable than standard half-ropes also? If that is the case then I will definitively buy a regular half rope. I was actually hoping that the rope would be both stronger and more durable than a regular half rope.

Does anybody know how thick the sheath of this rope is compared to other half-ropes?

Partner angry

Jun 13, 2006, 2:14 PM
Post #4 of 6 (950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Beal Joker, at 9.1 is rated as a half, single, and twin.

As a half, I believe it's rated for 25 falls.

sterlingjim

Jun 13, 2006, 2:20 PM
Post #5 of 6 (950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My guess, and I say guess because I doubt Mammut will share the official information, is that the sheath is roughly 30% thinner than an ordinary rope.

Strength and durability are not really the same thing. The strength of a rope is mainly determined by the core while the durability is mainly determined by the sheath. Strength is not all that important of a feature of a climbing rope though. Personally I feel overall durability is most important. Others may argue that the fall rating, or the impact rating are most important, however, all those numbers are out the window after the rope has been used a few times so going for a durable rope has more value. This is, of course, dependent on the type of climbing you do; fast and light vs average recreational.

If you are the heavier climber you may still want to consider a half rope of a larger than average diameter. Something between 9mm and 8.6mm.

wannabe

Jun 13, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #6 of 6 (950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Beal Joker, at 9.1 is rated as a half, single, and twin.

As a half, I believe it's rated for 25 falls.

I'm using two of the jokers as half ropes, works well for alpine and you can still lead on one as a single without worrying about strength.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook