Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Daisy chain use while setting up anchor on bolts?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jjanowia

Jun 26, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #1 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Daisy chain use while setting up anchor on bolts?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was taught (by friends who were climbers, not experienced guides or instructors) that I should carry one daisy chain girth hitched to my harness for when I reach bolt anchors on a sport climb. Upon gaining the anchors, clip the daisy into one of the bolts with a locking biner, and then set up an anchor with slings, etc. for a toprope, or thread the rope through for a rappel if no one else will TRing the climb.

I've seen people doing this with slings girth-hitched as well, but was told it is more convenient to use the daisy because one can adjust the length to avoid awkward positioning.

I'm concerned that this is not a redundant system. Should I be carrying two daisies (or slings) girth hitched to my harness, and clipping them each into a separate bolts while I set up an anchor?

beesty511

Jun 26, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #2 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Re: Daisy chain use while setting up anchor on bolts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm concerned that this is not a redundant system. Should I be carrying two daisies (or slings) girth hitched to my harness, and clipping them each into a separate bolts while I set up an anchor?
Yes. But two daisies are too bulky. That's why people use slings.

caughtinside

Jun 26, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #3 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The simplest way to do it is to have a couple extra quick draws. Chain them together onto your belay loop, into each bolt. This way you're on both bolts, and you also avoid the unfortunate consequence of looking like the gumby with a daisy chain.

Daisy chains are for aid.

norsk

Jun 26, 2006, 5:31 PM
Post #4 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that using a daisy chain is bulky (not to mention the possibility of a blowout if used incorrectly), but I disagree that one should use extra draws clipped together to attach themselves to the anchor bolts. The main reason for this is simply because it can increase the chance of something going wrong. Imagine you have two draws chained together going to each bolt, for a total of four draws. That is many parts that could fail, or get bumped into and open up, etc. Morevoer, if others have climbed the route and there already are draws there (in use as the anchor), and the last climber attaches themselves to the anchor with even more draws so they can begin cleaning the route, now there is nothing but a mess of draws and a weary climber could become confused and unclip the wrong one. Finally, carrying extra draws for this use adds expense and weight, although both I suppose are marginal.
I think the best thing to do is to have two brightly colored slings attached to your harness with a girth hitch and use those to attach to the anchor. Cheaper, lighter, less likely to get confused with something else, and less likely to fail.

justthemaid

Jun 26, 2006, 5:31 PM
Post #5 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah- you can just girth hitch a runner or I've got one of those really thin daisys (basically a 24"runner with some stitched loops).

More often than not when it's a sport climb with two bolts at the top, I'll just use my spare quickdraws to hook into both bolts.

In your case if you like your daisy- just use linked quickdraws for the second bolt.

bill413

Jun 26, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #6 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Upon gaining the anchors, clip the daisy into one of the bolts with a locking biner, and then set up an anchor with slings, etc. for a toprope, or thread the rope through for a rappel if no one else will TRing the climb.

I'm concerned that this is not a redundant system.

Well, if you are still on belay (like while setting up an anchor for TR) it is redundant, because, if your single bolt fails, the belay should catch you at the next one. If you are taking the belay off, then you really want redundancy in what you are clipped into, and having it in what you are clipped in with is nice also.

If you are using a daisy chain, make sure you look at the threads about how it can become unclipped (the daisy chain magic trick) if more than one pocket is clipped with the same carabiner. Also, make sure you stay below the anchors, or else, if you slip, you could exert a tremendous load on the anchors since the daisy chain is not a dynamic system.

olib

Jun 26, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #7 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For single pitch sport I only carry quickdraws. If I am leading I carry two extra draws made from runners and locking biners. I don't thread the rope through the anchor bolts, just clip on the last two draws, clip in to those and lower.

The 2nd climbs the other end of the rope, cleaning on his way up. When he reaches the top he goes direct with the draws he cleaned, threads the rope and raps down.

This system is very simple, requires very little gear, and there is virtually no wear on the anchor bolts.

pnoone

Jun 26, 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #8 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about a 6mm cord (looped with a double fisherman's). If you use a prussik loop in the end you'll want to clip (the end that you'll clip your locker to then clip into the anchor) the length is adjustable, which is a great feature. It's light enough that you could carry two for redundancy.

potreroed

Jun 26, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #9 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The daisy chain is fine; you can always clip it to both bolts.

kovacs69

Jun 26, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #10 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have beat this subject to death. Just do a search for this subject...I guarantee there are lots of threads covering daisy chains and their uses.

JB

rockprodigy

Jun 26, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #11 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Daisy Chain + Sport Crag = Gumby

Now you can debate until the cows come home about whether or not the above equation is FAIR, or even JUSTIFIED, but it would be as productive as debating whether or not 1 + 1 = 2 is fair and justified. It is simply a fact.

Oh yeah, and IC is a sport crag, so if you have a daisy there, guess what?

kiwijason

Jun 26, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #12 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always use a chicken sling when ever I am near an edge, when I get to the top of a climb and I start putting in pro for an anchor I am on belay from below (as long as my second is still awake) and I clip the chicken sling to the first bit of pro, the second bit of pro that goes in gets a alpine hitch clipped in to it from my climbing rope (which is tied in to my harness at the right length to allow for movement). Once the anchor is finished and equalized etc I might re clip the chicken sling to the focal point of the anchor but I leave the rope clipped where it is till I am ready to lead the next section, once I am back on belay and ready to climb I unclip the rope last and climb on. At no time is there no redundancy because I am on belay till I have two points clipped in and I have built my anchor. The belay only then comes off so my second can start climbing. I don't use the daisy chain as such I use the Mett PAS that has the sewn loops.

mped

Jun 26, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #13 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at REI a couple of weeks ago looking at the Metolius PAS

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/pas.htm

Anyway, reading the directions it works like this: girth hitch specified end to harness, clip the next loop to desired distance to bolt 1, and clip last loop, which has a different color to bolt 2.

I am unsure, but I think one would not have a problem if they did they same with a daisy chain. I "feel" safer with something like PAS over a D-chain.

paganmonkeyboy

Jun 26, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #14 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Now you can debate until the cows come home about whether or not the above equation is FAIR, or even JUSTIFIED, but it would be as productive as debating whether or not 1 + 1 = 2 is fair and justified. It is simply a fact.

Oh yeah, and IC is a sport crag, so if you have a daisy there, guess what?

w00t ! i've been promoted to gumby !!! and i was stuck at n00b for what seemed like forever...

(off topic - anyone else listen to daisy chainsaw ? they rock...)

codhands

Jun 26, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #15 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right or wrong this is my method. I take a 48" runner, clove hitch it in the middle through my tie-in points, put a locker on each end, and clip them to a gear loop. This set-up has worked well for me and it has proven to be very versatile. Anyone see any problems with that? If you do then tell me why.

secretagent

Jun 27, 2006, 1:21 AM
Post #16 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always carry a daisy but I don't always feel the need to use it.
Also I carry a 48inch runner which like the daisy is not always used, I guess what I'm trying to say is the use of these tools can both be useful but use is situational.

roninthorne

Jun 27, 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #17 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Don't know if it's fair or justified, but you're wrong. Working gear + comfort = safety. Being concerned about what someone else thinks of your gear is assinine and some combination of paranoid and narcissistic. Use what is safe and works for you. That's what it is all about in the end.

And THAT is a fact.

Partner heiko

Jun 27, 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #18 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kewl, another daisy chain thread! :lol:

there are safety issues resulting from wrong use of daisy chains, so maybe you want to check this thread for the gory details:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ewtopic.php?t=111061

I got a daisy chain, and retired it soon after. After your first time in a hang-belay for an hour you will realize that the 2 minutes you spend at the top anchor of a sport climb are meaningless, and thus don't require special gear to make it more convenient. Just use one (or two!) normal shoulder-length slings, anchor, thread the rope, and leave. Some people use a chain of draws, as mentioned. Others use an adjustable friction knot on cord. Some use a prusik. Do what suits you best. If you're a beginner, a redundant solution seems advisable tho.

edited n times to correct spelling.

flying_k

Jun 27, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #19 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was taught Daisy chains are not safe.
I am a new climber and should probably keep my mouth shut but I feel a few points that should be raised here.
First if you are using a sling or daisy girth to your harness it should be short enough that you can always reach it when it is at full length.
Second if you are on belay why not clip a biner to the bolt and clip your rope, then build your anchor and then clip your sling or daisy to the master point.
I have a 30in. sling girthed to my harness and with an overhand not at half length so I can tie in at full length or half
The few leads I have done (both of them) had no bolts so I put in a piece clipped it then built a bomber serene and then cliped my runner to the master point.

I have only been climbing eight times now so take this with a grain of salt and let me know if I am wrong.
cheers Kenny

potreroed

Jun 27, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #20 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockprodigy is wrong (he's probably one of those super-macho trad climbers) I've been climbing for 39 years and have put up over 100 routes, including some of the longest bolted routes in the world so I don't think I qualify as gumby. Sport or trad I always keep a daisy chain (Metolius PA system) girth hitched to my harness.

caughtinside

Jun 27, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #21 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rockprodigy is wrong

No, his reply was correct. He even pointed out that the perception of gumby may not be right or fair, but that it is there.

And you know why that perception is there? Because at a sport crag, a daisy chain is unnecessary gear. 95% of the time, the climber at the sport crag with a daisy chain is either a gumby, or a visiting trad climber, who is also likely to rap down after completing the route.

Like he mentioned, it may not be right or fair, but there it is.

If you're a sport climber, there's no reason to buy a $25 daisy, when the same job can be done with 2 draws, which are more versatile and useful.

jt512

Jun 27, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #22 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm concerned that this is not a redundant system.

It's not. Most experienced sport climbers simply clip in with two ordinary quickdraws. But no matter which system you choose, you should always be independently clipped in to two anchor points before untying from the rope or being taken off belay.

Jay

jt512

Jun 27, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #23 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Your equation is a special case of a more general one:

X + Sport Crag = Gumby, where X = just about anything on your harness, other than quick draws.

X may take on the following values, for instance:
    [*:c36fe59d30]locking carabiner(s)

[*:c36fe59d30]prusik(s)

[*:c36fe59d30]quick link(s) :shock:

[*:c36fe59d30]ATC (rarely justified)

Jay

sketch

Jun 27, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #24 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out this 10 page guide on how to clean bolted anchors. It was put together by Rick Weber, owner of Muir Valley Nature Preserve in Kentucky. This method is my personal preference for cleaning routes at Red River Gorge:

http://www.muirvalley.com/pdf/CleaningBook_v1.pdf

jt512

Jun 27, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #25 of 63 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Check out this 10 page guide on how to clean bolted anchors. It was put together by Rick Weber, owner of Muir Valley Nature Preserve in Kentucky. This method is my personal preference for cleaning routes at Red River Gorge:

http://www.muirvalley.com/pdf/CleaningBook_v1.pdf

That technique requires 4 :shock: locking carabiners, an ATC, and a prusik. See my list above. This is a record-breaking gumby technique!

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook