RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

adam_j22

Jun 20, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut

'Wild Blue Yonder' Rumney
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows if and when 'Wild Blue Yonder' at Triple Corners is in the shade during the summer. I go to Rumney almost every weekend and have been at Waimea a lot this summer, and haven't payed any attention to the sun over at Triple Corners. The route description sounds attractive to me (although I haven't heard anything else about it), and I think I am going to start working it next if the shade cooperates. Thank you, Adam

jrathfon

Jun 20, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Re: 'Wild Blue Yonder' Rumney [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Triple Corners has the same Western exposure as Waimea, being right next to it.

I don't have my guidebook and am not familiar with the route, but I think its the huge prow in the center of Triple Corners. If so, the fourth class approach/first pitch is entirely in the trees. The prow and its slab are right facing (south facing), so they are probably sunny everyday. The majority of the prow is above the trees, but the belayer will probably be shaded by both the trees and the overhang. The lower slab and the dike/gully directly to the right of the big prow are usually shaded and wet. Especially with all this rain and seepage.

redpoint73

Jun 27, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The slab and the first section of the prow are likely soaked.

Pretty sure most of the route is in the sun, most the day.

Bonsai has very nice climbs in the 12 range in the shade pretty much all day. Try Kundalini (sp?), Social Outcast, and Noodle.

There is always Monsters of the Id, and the cave at Lower Vadar is pretty shaded.

Have you done Giant Man at the Hinterlands? Its a stellar climb and in the shade most of the time.

adam_j22

Jun 27, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't tried Giant Man, in fact I've never made the hike up there to any of those crags, but it sounds cool. I may wait till the fall, b/c my weekends are limited now before I go to Rifle for a couple weeks, but it sounds really good up there! Thanks for the info!

redpoint73

Jun 28, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should definately hit up the Hinterlands when you get a chance. In addition to Giant Man, you really should climb Jolt. Even if you are a 5.12 climber, you will love it. In my opinion, its the best 5.10 at Rumney.

scoobee

Jun 28, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there anything dry up there these days? Weather has been miserable down in CT and was thinking we could find something dry up there. Probably anything up into 11's we could handle.
cheers

jrathfon

Jun 28, 2006, 7:32 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the roofs stay dry, and there are alot. Again dont have my book with me, but there are a few 11's on lower vadar (all roof) and an 11a and a 10d on upper vadar (roof again), all that should stay dry, minus a touch of seep.

I was told by some harder climbers most of waimea stays dry in the rain as well.

Oh and starship enterprise as well has some 11's and is all roof.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook