RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

petey23

Jun 29, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #1 of 5 (562 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Shops and Insurance--Quick Reply Requested
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got a different screenname on here, but didn't feel inclined to use it for such a dumbass question that will probably earn some criticism. My buddy just blew into town about a month ago and got a job at the local climbing shop, after I introduced him to the owner.

He was at work tonight and left the door unlocked while he went to get some food across the street. The store was robbed, I think a couple of ice axes were stolen just (he's not positive yet, just called me). They're near the door, so he thinks that's all that's gone. A few hundred bucks obviously. He's a stupid ass, it's true.

The owner doesn't get back in until tomorrow morning, but I'm wondering whether climbing shops have insurance to cover stuff like this? Never worked at one myself, and I don't want the owner to be saddled with the cost obviously (since he's an acquaintance and a guy whose respect I would like to have), but also don't want my friend to have to cover it. Mostly cause he's paying me rent or is supposed to be, and he isn't making much money as it stands.

I don't know shit about insurance. Think a business would have insurance for things like this? What kind of deductible? Consequences for an employee who is a fuck up (obviously depends on the owner and the usefulness of the employee in other situations, but stilll.....)??

Thanks. He's kind of dreading tomorrow. I almost had to laugh a little, but it does suck I guess. SHouldn't be having taco cravings until after you're done with work.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 29, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #2 of 5 (562 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Shops and Insurance--Quick Reply Requested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there are insurances against theft but often times the deductable is in the thousands for a shop unless they pay through the nose for good coverage. Even my home owners coverage is a $500 deductible and frankly if all the store lost was a couple ice axes they were damn lucky.

petey23

Jun 29, 2006, 6:03 AM
Post #3 of 5 (562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, they were definitely lucky. Looks like it was 2 axes (not sure on model) and three pairs of shoes (Mythos and something else). Those were close to the door as well, right under the axes, so I guess that was just most convenient?

He just finished with the police report and all that and got home. I think the total value of missing items is probably in the $750 range. I'm not sure cause I don't knwo the exact value of the shoes.

I guess they're lucky. Hopefully he doesn't get his ass fired, but if I was the shop owner I'd have to consider firing him. What a stupid ass.

I guess we'll find out about that insurance policy. I don't think the owner can afford a ~$700 loss and my friend's paycheck probably isn't that much in 3 weeks. Anyways, thanks for the help. I should have been able to figure that out on my own, but thanks.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 29, 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #4 of 5 (562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, if it is a really small shop there also isn't any promise that the shop owner paid for insurance to start with.

Partner ctardi

Jul 1, 2006, 2:10 AM
Post #5 of 5 (562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you can't be made to pay for anything you break at work, but i'm not sure about theft.

He did make a mistake, and not locking the door is only his fault, not anybody elses...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook