Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

svilnit

Jun 30, 2006, 7:37 PM
Post #1 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Trad pack
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking for some suggestions for a new pack. I currently have the Kelty Origami. I really like it for the fact that it is comfortable + it easily organizes the gear inside. So basically I'm trying to get something along those lines, but just a bit bigger. And no, I don't want a haul bag, many of the spots I go to have a bit of a hike to them and I would like it to be a comfortable one :D

Any suggestions would be great.. yes, I did search.. didn't find anything extremely useful

bobruef

Jun 30, 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #2 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Osprey Exposure 50. It comfy, and holds a good load, but as far as internal organization, all its got is a daisy, and a sleeve for a camelback. Might not be what you're after, but its a cool pack. My climbing partner really likes his Gregory Alpinisto.

chanceboarder

Jun 30, 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #3 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the Deuter Guide 45+ on the recommendation of a partner of mine from Germany and I absolutely love this pack. The suspension system and hip belt are great for carrying heavy loads, the alpine back system lets air move really well along my back as well as making it very comfortable to carry. The main compartment can be divided into 2 to allow for a sleeping bag to be carried separately or is can be left open to be one large compartment. The material is very rugged has been standing up well to abuse. It's 45 liters plus another 10 with the main compartment sleeve fully extended, so that gives you 55 liters of space to work with.

I can get my harness, good sized first aid kit, pair of shoes, and my full trad rack in there (which includes like 25 cams, 3 sets of nuts, 1 set of hexes, a few tri cams, like 15 to 20 slings, and biners to go with it all), plus 100oz of water with no problem.

I think I paid like $125 or so for it. http://www.deuterusa.com/guide45.html

http://www.deuterusa.com/fut28img/guide45.gif

Jason

Partner csgambill

Jun 30, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #4 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the Moraine 3600:
http://www.kelty.com/...acks/Moraine3600.jpg

Although, I almost wish I had something a little larger - in other words, I've got way too much gear - :-)
I like the Moraine, it's comfortable with quite a bit of weight. Sometimes I do have difficulty getting the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips. The Moraine has about 71% more space than the Origami, so it's quite a bit bigger than your pack. Overall, I've been happy with it. It's a good crag pack especially if you're going to be increasing the size of your rack in the future.

svilnit

Jun 30, 2006, 8:46 PM
Post #5 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback guys! Greatly appreciated. I'm a little scared of the size of the Deuter Guide 45+. It might just tempt me to fill it up with more gear :shock:

Speaking of which... got some more toys today, the damn origami is splitting at the seams :cry:

chanceboarder

Jun 30, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #6 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a little scared of the size of the Deuter Guide 45+. It might just tempt me to fill it up with more gear :shock:
And that's a bad thing because.... :wink:

They do make a smaller version of it with similar features, I think all they did was make it smaller and eliminate the divider so it's only one compartment. It's the Guide 35+ which has a max capacity of 45 liters with the sleeve extended.

Jason

svilnit

Jun 30, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #7 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm a little scared of the size of the Deuter Guide 45+. It might just tempt me to fill it up with more gear :shock:
And that's a bad thing because.... :wink:

They do make a smaller version of it with similar features, I think all they did was make it smaller and eliminate the divider so it's only one compartment. It's the Guide 35+ which has a max capacity of 45 liters with the sleeve extended.

Jason

Because I've already spent $400-500 in climbing goodies this month... next month may not be able to pay the mortgage but I'll have enough gear to climb anything :D

renohandjams

Jul 1, 2006, 6:57 AM
Post #8 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sold my Osprey on Ebay so I could get my Vortex 5800. The durability was WAY better than my Osprey. I still use my 5800 Vortex ALL the time for climbing, hiking, camping, etc.. and it hasn't ripped a single stitch :D , http://www.vortexbackpacks.com, I think, just google vortex backpacks (They are the same company that makes badlands hunting backpacks)
http://www.vortexbackpacks.com/...roducts/58medium.jpg

wrbill

Jul 1, 2006, 9:27 AM
Post #9 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just like chanceboarder I got a Deuter the Aircontact 55 +10. I love the pack. I have carried 80+ lbs and it was still comfortable. I like it very much. Their are two side pockets and the divided compartment for the sleeping bag or like I do is to use the sleeping bag compartment to carry my tard gear. Then put my rope and everything else in the main compartment. It too also has a compartment for a 100oz bladder, but I use that for all my slings and runners. I put my camel back on the outside with the use of clips. If you like I can send you a pic of how I attach the camel back. I love the pack and would recommend it to anyone. Good luck finding the right pack and make sure you find what you like. I pack is like buying a car, you want to get something that you like and is comfortable to drive, or carry hehe.

Bill

Partner tgreene

Jul 1, 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #10 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Kelty Redwing, because the whole face of the pack unzips. This affords me the opportunity to use it like a tarp (albeit a very small tarp), but when it's time to move along, I simply zip the flap back up, and am ready in a matter of seconds!

crimpstrength

Jul 1, 2006, 3:18 PM
Post #11 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my Alpinisto 55.

I want to try the Cilogear and the Mtn Hardwear Trance

My brother's Mammut Ice 45 is really nice too.

The external crampon holder on the Alpinisto is nice, probably like the Cilo and Trance. In the summer, I use it to strap my shoes on so the bag doesn't get too much funk. The compression strap system is nice - the Wraptor stabilizer. Nice top pocket for small stuff. It is a good pack. I haven't beat it up too much yet so I am not sure about durability but the bottom panel material does seem a bit thin.

rsmillbern

Jul 1, 2006, 3:18 PM
Post #12 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an rei talus 35 that has been great. I have beat the crap out of it and it has held up pretty well along with carrying 45 lbs pretty well on a hike in.

I got mine on close out for about $50, but the new version (REI Catalyst) is still pretty cheep.

http://images.rei.com/media/624397.jpg

scoTt

chollapete

Jul 1, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #13 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I sold my Osprey on Ebay so I could get my Vortex 5800. The durability was WAY better than my Osprey. I still use my 5800 Vortex ALL the time for climbing, hiking, camping, etc.. and it hasn't ripped a single stitch :D , http://www.vortexbackpacks.com, I think, just google vortex backpacks (They are the same company that makes badlands hunting backpacks)
http://www.vortexbackpacks.com/...roducts/58medium.jpg

Which Osprey did you have? I've been thinking of getting one of the Exposure series, probably the 42L. Thanks

Partner euroford

Jul 1, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #14 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa, you guys carry some stupid huge packs.

for trad climbing, you just simply don't needs packs that big!!

you need something big enough to hold all the gear, a rain jacket, some snacks and water. it then needs to pack down small enough that you can comfortably lead with it on.

the recomendation for the rei talus 35 above is a good one. thats what my partner carries, but even that i find a bit big for 90% of what we do. though its nice for one of us to have a slightly larger pack for when we plan to bivy. it compresses down very well after you pull the trad toys out of it.

i use a north face spire 30, its a 1800 cu in pack that weighs under 2lbs (trimmed down from the factory 2lbs 8 oz). on a day trip i can easily carry double cams, double stoppers, draws, harness, ect, rope, snacks, a couple of beers, 3l of water in a bladder, precip jacket, helmet, headlamp, and it carries like nothing is there.

when we plan to bivy between my partner and i can carry the full rack, lead rope, tag line, bivy gear, jetboil, extra water, food, a couple of beers even, tons of snacks, radios, extra clothes, crampons, ice axe.

i mean, what the heck do you guys need these big packs for??? we manage to bring everything AND the kitchen sink with a 35l pack and a 30l pack.

Partner climbinginchico

Jul 2, 2006, 4:50 AM
Post #15 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Gregory Juxt that I use if I'm gonna be climbing in it, and a Marmot Eiger 36 if I'm just carrying a bunch of crap in. Both are awesome packs, no complaints at all.

svilnit

Jul 2, 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #16 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about the inside of these packs... are their daisy chains to keep the gear from just becoming a giant CF in the bottom of the bag? Or do you guys just through everything in their and sort it out when you get to your destination? That's the one reason why I have kept the origami this long. Daisy Chains all over the inside and the ability to open the pack easily made it a lot easier to select the gear I want without having to take everything out. I guess it's the OCD side of me popping out :lol:

moose_droppings

Jul 2, 2006, 3:03 PM
Post #17 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a look at the Fish Crag Pack. Its looks to be the shanitz and being its a Fish, it's got to be bomber. Every now and then you can pick one up on Ebay for around $45.
http://www.fishproducts.com/...g/productlinefs.html
After you click on this link, clik on "Newest in New" on the left side, then scroll down to the Crag Pack and click on it. Click on pics for a larger view.

Partner euroford

Jul 2, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #18 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess it's the OCD side of me popping out

dude, its okay, take a deap breath, relax.

when yer packing up to head up the hill, if you don't absolutly need something, than you don't need it. stuff all clipped to daisy chains on the inside of your pack? you definitly don't need that. the only time i ever use the daisy chains on the outside of my pack is to carry a thermarest.

lets see, so you have a harness with your draws, shoes and belay stuff clipped to it, you have a trad rack on a gear sling and a rope. just cram it all in the pack, what kind of organization do you need?????? headlamp and cliff bars are in the top pocket w/ the flask of bourbon... go climbing...

svilnit

Jul 2, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #19 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I guess it's the OCD side of me popping out

dude, its okay, take a deap breath, relax.

when yer packing up to head up the hill, if you don't absolutly need something, than you don't need it. stuff all clipped to daisy chains on the inside of your pack? you definitly don't need that. the only time i ever use the daisy chains on the outside of my pack is to carry a thermarest.

lets see, so you have a harness with your draws, shoes and belay stuff clipped to it, you have a trad rack on a gear sling and a rope. just cram it all in the pack, what kind of organization do you need?????? headlamp and cliff bars are in the top pocket w/ the flask of bourbon... go climbing...

hahaah... ok.. got me there. Just a bit anal about my gear and it's just easier for me when it is organized in the bag.... you do make a good point though :lol:

djnibs

Jul 2, 2006, 5:34 PM
Post #20 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out Grivel. they make some incredible packs. i do belive they have internal daisy for clipping gear. reasonably priced.

http://www.grivelnorthamerica.com/...oducts/prod_65_1.jpg

this is the rock light pack. just goto their site and check out some stuff.

svilnit

Jul 12, 2006, 1:46 PM
Post #21 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anybody used this pack?

http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/...kd_boa_grnolv_06.jpg

reg

Jul 12, 2006, 1:57 PM
Post #22 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I was just going to ask if anyone had tried the Jackel by black Diamond - ain't that one?

Partner climbinginchico

Jul 12, 2006, 3:55 PM
Post #23 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, that's the Boa.

cortezmachine

Jul 12, 2006, 4:08 PM
Post #24 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

black diamond sidewinder 30l

best climbing pack 3vAr!!!! period.

anykineclimb

Jul 12, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #25 of 32 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I was just going to ask if anyone had tried the Jackel by black Diamond - ain't that one?

Looks like the Metolius Crag Station. Had a similar pack from Lowe Alpine.Never really liked duffel bag stule climbing packs. I'd be interested in what features it has though.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook