Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jaybro

Jul 14, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #26 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Re: Devils Tower Has SUPER June !!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"First off, climbers aren't a culture and climbing isn't a religion"

-speak for yourself healvje.

Committed? or should be ? har -har

So, geez, bigwally, how does the 31st look? n'junk?

Pretty sure 'Bigwally' was the first person to call me Jaybro.

edl

Jul 14, 2006, 8:33 PM
Post #27 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje,

I was using that as a device to show the difference of cultural interests. I think that both cultures have real respect for the tower, and both deserve their time to enjoy the tower. Furthermore, I feel as if both can do this without stepping on one anothers toes. Instead of a full June closure, how about letting the Native Americans have the tower all to themselves (this includes tourists) for certain ceremonies, regardless of the time of year?

I just get sick of climbers being viewed as these disrespectful abusers of land resources for leaving things like fixed anchors, when these are a necessary evil for safe climbing. Couldn't you make a similar argument about prayer flags, or is that not PC? That said, I can see their importance to the Native Americans, and respect that they deserve their place at the tower or anywhere else. I don't wish for them to stop using them. I think it is sufficient to say that the tower is very important to both groups of people, so we need to learn to get along.

I am all for a land management plan that supports the interests of all user groups. If the June voluntary closure is it, then thats fine. It just seems a little of a blanket policy that does not serve the interests of mainly the Native Americans.

Partner tgreene

Jul 14, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #28 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in the NPS land management program, is there a clause written that will reimburse Frank Sanders of business losses..?

He is a guide, operates a guide service, and relys on the month of June as a part of his income.

How would any of YOU respond if there were a 30-day closure of all gas stations, out of respect for whomever..? :idea:

erclimb

Jul 14, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #29 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Again, I'm not attacking Frank; I don't know the man, and I'm willing to accept the assessment of those who do. But step back for a moment; put aside your affection for the man.

The Natives have asked that we not climb DT in June. Frank's post specifically refers to climbing DT in "June", NOT the spring, not this year, or not in general. The words he chooses to emphasize make it seem as though he is mocking the Native reverence for DT. OK, he didn't mean to sound sarcastic, but he does. If he was posting every month, then I would recognize his sincerity; however, the timing and focus are unfortunate. I've learned the hard way that people can have skewed and often drastic reactions when you try to express your feelings in writing. I'd like to hear from Frank, again. What exactly prompted this particular post?

On another note, we tend to use words like sacred way too loosely. If you truly believed that your god lived on DT, would you really go climbing all over it? If you're Jewish, would you go buildering on the Wailing Wall? If you're Catholic, would you go buildering on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre?

Partner tgreene

Jul 14, 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #30 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm Lutheran, we drink dark beer! :P

As for the timing of the post, I disagree, as I just looked at my calendar it it says we're in mid-July... If this would would have been made in May or June, then it would lend merit to what you're saying, but it's not.

wyjames

Jul 14, 2006, 9:37 PM
Post #31 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So it seems pretty clear why the NPS must ask for a voluntary ban since it would be unlawful to close it themselves in respect to one religion over another. In doing so, they would be imposing (establishing) the rights of one religion over another. In reality, there may be no real threat to climbing if you go since you could appeal based on the First Amendment.

GT

Cave Rock??

I am also from Wy and have climbed DT (not in June) I think it comes down to respect, for the NPS voluntary closure and for the Native Americans (agree with them or not) you can still have respect and disagree. There is good climbing in June in the Big Horns and Needles, it is not like DT is the only climbing around although I would probably feel different if I lived at the base.

It seems like the puplic input times they had a few years back, before they updated the CMP would have been a better option for displaying contempt for the voluntary closure. Maybe bigwally was there, but his input wasn't enough to sway the NPS I don't know either way the CMP was updated this year and the voluntary closure continues. In the long run I think it would be better for all climbers if the voluntary closure was respected and followed. If your disagree then let the NPS know when the CMP is up for review/modification like it was a few years ago. Just my .02C

tgreene brings up an interesting topic, but I was viewing more from the other side that some of bigwally motivation may come from the almighty dollar -flame away.

Cheers

couloir

Jul 14, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #32 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe Frank should consider changing his name to Billy Graham since his religion only matters if it puts money in his pocket. He is full of shit. He does anything for an excuse to keep money coming in. I would think that him living so close to the tower he would take the month of june and go climb somewhere a little cooler. But he's a dick and wants to rub in the face of the native americans the fact that he can still climb there. If he really thought climbing on the tower was a religious pursuit he would take all the negative replies to his post personally and would surely post a reply. But the simple fact is that all he wanted to do was boast about how cool he is by saying fuck you to the natives, while plugging his business. So I say to Frank; You are a fucking moron!

Partner pt

Jul 15, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #33 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe Frank should consider changing his name to Billy Graham since his religion only matters if it puts money in his pocket. He is full of s---. He does anything for an excuse to keep money coming in. I would think that him living so close to the tower he would take the month of june and go climb somewhere a little cooler. But he's a dick and wants to rub in the face of the native americans the fact that he can still climb there. If he really thought climbing on the tower was a religious pursuit he would take all the negative replies to his post personally and would surely post a reply. But the simple fact is that all he wanted to do was boast about how cool he is by saying f--- you to the natives, while plugging his business. So I say to Frank; You are a f---ing moron!

I don't think you could say this to Frank's face if you ever had the opportunity to meet the man and spend even five minutes with him.

rainontin

Jul 15, 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #34 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For crying out loud, June is just one month! 30 days! We've got 365.25 of 'em in each year. Not climbing there for 30 of them is really no big deal. You all make it out to be as though there are absolutely no other places to climb in the month of June. Get over yourselves.

And kricr, an example of American's being "relatively nice" to the natives...http://www.geocities.com/...es/pose_corpses2.jpg

erclimb

Jul 15, 2006, 1:29 AM
Post #35 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just read this month's outside magazine...mark jenkins writes about DT...he's quite eloquent about the tower's beauty and spectacular climbing...he also provides some history

the NPS actually recommended a mandatory june closing, but the TRIBAL ELDERS rejected the plan...the TRIBAL ELDERS suggested the VOLUNTARY closing and asked, instead, that the NPS support education efforts to inform climbers about sioux culture...the TRIBAL ELDERS felt that if people understood their reverence for the tower, then people would be more likely to respect the native's wish that people not climb for one month out of the year

so, the TRIBAL ELDERS have done more than the NPS or frank sanders to preserve climbing access to DT

now here's irony...at DT (and several other areas across the nation) certain routes, areas, or even entire crags are temporarily off limits to climbing for raptor nesting season...does frank ignore these restrictions, too? would you celebrate frank's method of worship if he climbed over a falcon nest to show his respect for the bird? why are climbers so willing to accept closures for a bunch of birds but not for an entire culture?

jen_c

Jul 15, 2006, 1:37 AM
Post #36 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe Frank should consider changing his name to Billy Graham since his religion only matters if it puts money in his pocket. He is full of s---. He does anything for an excuse to keep money coming in. ....But he's a dick and wants to rub in the face of the native americans the fact that he can still climb there. If he really thought climbing on the tower was a religious pursuit he would take all the negative replies to his post personally and would surely post a reply. But the simple fact is that all he wanted to do was boast about how cool he is by saying f--- you to the natives, while plugging his business. So I say to Frank; You are a f---ing moron!
Absolutely nothing could be further from the truth. Frank Sanders is one of the nicest, least greedy, most humble people you will ever meet. While he does rely on the Tower for income, it is very definitely not his only source. He guides because he truly loves climbing and because he cherishes the look on people's faces when they summit the tower - especially if it is their first time.
And as far as him not immediately jumping on here and posting a reply...he doesn't logon & post on here very often.....member since 2002...15 posts...he's mostly likely out climbing....like we should all be doing :)

couloir

Jul 15, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #37 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, I post a message saying how much I dislike someones ideals and use a lot of improper words, and people still don't get as pissed at me as they do at Kansas Climbers posts. As per my post, while it may have been a bit overdramatic and vulgar, it does seem to me mostly accurate. While frank may be a friendly guy does not change the fact that he is not showing respect to the natives. I would understand if someone from out of the area was road tripping through and wanted to get in a route or two since it's the only chance they may have for some time. But for someone who lives right next to the tower is just disrespectful. And I'm sure he could find a way to supplement his income for a month.

atpeaceinbozeman

Jul 15, 2006, 2:05 AM
Post #38 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
now here's irony...at DT (and several other areas across the nation) certain routes, areas, or even entire crags are temporarily off limits to climbing for raptor nesting season...does frank ignore these restrictions, too?

Is that a voluntary closure?

granite_grrl

Jul 16, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #39 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe Frank should consider changing his name to Billy Graham since his religion only matters if it puts money in his pocket. He is full of s---. He does anything for an excuse to keep money coming in.

Frank is one of the most generous men I have ever met. He is fair and honest, his guests and guided clients get every pennys worth from what I saw from the time and the love he put in and returns.

In reply to:
But he's a dick and wants to rub in the face of the native americans the fact that he can still climb there.

How is he rubbing it in thier face? Are they following this thread? He is just celebrating the joy and experiance of the Tower and wishes to share.

In reply to:
So I say to Frank; You are a f---ing moron!

:roll: I think you better check in to see whos being the moron here.

billcoe_

Jul 17, 2006, 4:50 AM
Post #40 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i just read this month's outside magazine...mark jenkins writes about DT...he's quite eloquent about the tower's beauty and spectacular climbing...he also provides some history

the NPS actually recommended a mandatory june closing, but the TRIBAL ELDERS rejected the plan...the TRIBAL ELDERS suggested the VOLUNTARY closing and asked, instead, that the NPS support education efforts to inform climbers about sioux culture...the TRIBAL ELDERS felt that if people understood their reverence for the tower, then people would be more likely to respect the native's wish that people not climb for one month out of the year

so, the TRIBAL ELDERS have done more than the NPS or frank sanders to preserve climbing access to DT

now here's irony...at DT (and several other areas across the nation) certain routes, areas, or even entire crags are temporarily off limits to climbing for raptor nesting season...does frank ignore these restrictions, too? would you celebrate frank's method of worship if he climbed over a falcon nest to show his respect for the bird? why are climbers so willing to accept closures for a bunch of birds but not for an entire culture?

Thanks for sharing that info:

The local native folks have been amazingly gentle on us in the NW as well many times. For instance (non-climbng related story about to bore you all): Some of the nicest folks you'd ever want to meet are the people of the Umitilla Tribe. They have a real strong treaty to access fish in the Umatilla river which runs right through the middle of where they live. This treaty dates from a long long time ago.

Understand that when they agreed to this treaty, they gave up stuff to get access to the fish. You midwesterners don't know what we're talking about when we say fish, so let me say this: common that some of these lunkers were 4' long salmon that weighed 60-70 lbs and ran thick in this river from spring through fall.

The government, however, later allowed the upstream farmers who showed up much later water access for farming uses from the Umatilla river. As time went on, the runs and the fish got smaller and smaller.

Till the river dryed up. It ran no more through the reservation in late summer. The farmers who were draining the water would have faced economic ruin if they had to give up the water. The Umatillas recognised this fact, and just wanted some water to run year round so the fish could be re-introduced and survive, but they did not want the farmers to suffer, and they were eventually able to craft a compromise of sharing. They had the rights to it all though, but did not want others to suffer for their gain.

Perhaps this is just a single instance, but had what happened to the Umatillas happened to a single white family, there would have been an immediate and massive lawsuit: farmers or farmers water needs be damned.

It only reinforces my third sentence: God-Bless every one of them, and thank them for thinking of others, and recognizing that although they had a 100 percent fool proof in court LEGAL right to the water, ethically they were not sure, and didn't want to cause the kind of pain that only getting what was theirs, by right and by treaty, would cause to others, many of whom they had never met and were most assuredly not related to.

End of story: Back to the Tower.

I will choose to respect the tribes wishes. This is only my decision, by me, for me. You may choose differently, it is a choice of how we as individuals can live with others. I am happy to have the choice.

I understand that the Winds are some of the best damn climbing around : June would be fine at the Winds or the Tetons too.

billcoe_

Jul 17, 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #41 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now let us celebrate diversity!

http://www.thoseshirts.com/...diversitybk-L375.jpg

asher84

Jul 24, 2006, 3:22 AM
Post #42 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just had to say that I have also met Frank...and you seriously just have to meet the guy. There really is nothing else to it. If you want to let everyone know that you disagree with what he said/did, fine. But don't make assumptions about the guy if you don't know him.

This:
In reply to:
Frank's personal beliefs are wrapped in, around, over, under and through Devils Tower in way that is far more devout than most other people approach their own religions. And he walks that walk all year round. Asking him not to climb the Tower in June would literally be like asking a Christian, Jew or Muslim not to believe in God for a month.
is completely true.

I would personally choose to pass up the Tower in June, but that's my choice, I'm not you or Frank or anyone else.

And as far as how he sounded in his post... Again, you just have to meet him. That's how he is!! Meeting Frank is an experience within itself. I'm not trying to just go on and on about how great the guy is, and I would probably never do this about anyone else, I'm just putting out my 2 cents worth.

pyrosis

Jul 24, 2006, 4:10 AM
Post #43 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First off, climbers aren't a culture and climbing isn't a religion - climbing is recreation, a sport, or an art depending on your bent -

In your quest for political correctness, you seem to overlook the fact that religion and spirituality are free to be whatever we find them to be, and are not dependent on being brainwashed by our priests, rabbis, elders, or whoever the hell else try to instill into us their vision of god. Isn't everyone free to find spirituality or religion for ourselves, or is it the state that defines what is and is not "religion?" I belong to no organized religion and find it extremely offensive that you would even imply that you know what my "religion" is or is not. Just because I do not belong to one of the institutionally accepted cults does not mean that my spirituality is any less real to me than anyone else's is to them. Now please get off your moral high horse and STFU. BTW I've never climbed at the Tower in June, and I'm not even sure how I feel about the issue. How I feel about YOU spraying your morality, however, should be obvious.

healyje

Jul 24, 2006, 7:03 AM
Post #44 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
First off, climbers aren't a culture and climbing isn't a religion - climbing is recreation, a sport, or an art depending on your bent -

In your quest for political correctness, you seem to overlook the fact that religion and spirituality are free to be whatever we find them to be, and are not dependent on being brainwashed by our priests, rabbis, elders, or whoever the hell else try to instill into us their vision of god. Isn't everyone free to find spirituality or religion for ourselves, or is it the state that defines what is and is not "religion?" I belong to no organized religion and find it extremely offensive that you would even imply that you know what my "religion" is or is not. Just because I do not belong to one of the institutionally accepted cults does not mean that my spirituality is any less real to me than anyone else's is to them. Now please get off your moral high horse and STFU. BTW I've never climbed at the Tower in June, and I'm not even sure how I feel about the issue. How I feel about YOU spraying your morality, however, should be obvious.

Actually, I'm a born again and again atheist married to a climbing member of the Colville Tribe. I don't care what your religion / spirituality is - but trying to cloak climbing in religious trappings for particular intent is a bad idea, bad policy, and disingenuous at best.

strongerthanyesterday

Jul 24, 2006, 8:17 AM
Post #45 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit for privacy

pyrosis

Jul 24, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #46 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't care what your religion / spirituality is.

In reply to:
Actually, I'm a born again and again atheist married to a climbing member of the Colville Tribe.

Umm.. Okey dokey, thanks for sharing?

In reply to:
- but trying to cloak climbing in religious trappings for particular intent is a bad idea, bad policy, and disingenuous at best.

Anyway... Just because you don't get religious or spiritual fulfillment from climbing doesn't mean that nobody does. Perhaps your atheism leads you to a superficial perspective on climbing, but for some people it could be the most meaningful experience in their life. What gives you the authority to say that this is not so? What gives anyone the authority to say that something that is sacred to them can not be sacred to someone else in a different way? I think this is a very narrow view. I agree that climbing the tower in June might be a bad idea, but calling someone's viewpoint disingenuous is very presumptuous of you, especially if you don't know the guy.

healyje

Jul 24, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #47 of 47 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I don't care what your religion / spirituality is.

In reply to:
Actually, I'm a born again and again atheist married to a climbing member of the Colville Tribe.

Umm.. Okey dokey, thanks for sharing?

In reply to:
- but trying to cloak climbing in religious trappings for particular intent is a bad idea, bad policy, and disingenuous at best.

Anyway... Just because you don't get religious or spiritual fulfillment from climbing doesn't mean that nobody does. Perhaps your atheism leads you to a superficial perspective on climbing, but for some people it could be the most meaningful experience in their life. What gives you the authority to say that this is not so? What gives anyone the authority to say that something that is sacred to them can not be sacred to someone else in a different way? I think this is a very narrow view. I agree that climbing the tower in June might be a bad idea, but calling someone's viewpoint disingenuous is very presumptuous of you, especially if you don't know the guy.

I didn't say I don't get any "spiritual" fulfillment from climbing - I said I'm an atheist. And would hope people have a "meaningful experience" climbing - but to categorize and promote that as a "religious" experience and encouraging others to climb in June during the voluntary closure is disingenuine and irresponsible as well. Doubly so if that person guides in any capacity. I don't know Frank, but would love to meet him and climb the Tower with him, but that doesn't mean I'm not prepared to call a spade a spade on the Internet when someone exercises bad judgment. I'd expect no less if I posted something similar.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook