Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner euroford

Sep 1, 2002, 4:16 AM
Post #1 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

okay, as i'm gradually getting into the sport of climbing, and other related activities i've foundmyself over at my local REI outlet quite a bit....

as they are so close to me, and have a pretty decent selection of stuff its the obvious choice for purchasing equipment.

but, as i lay my heard earned dough out to them, i would like to ask others experience and opinions.

does rei support crags and outdoor areas?

does rei treat its employees well?

do they have a reputation as a honest and concienecios company?

how do you feel good about aquiring gear from them and giving them your money?

when spending money on a hobby/sport i like to make sure i'm spending my money at a company/store with a good reputation for supporting that hobby/sport. so i would just love your opinions on this store, and where you like to shop.

k9rocko

Sep 1, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #2 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I cannot speak for REI elsewhere, but I am a 'member' and REI is a Coop. There are those who will disagree, but let me put my two cents in first....

REI employs some really decent people. To me, they are a business, but the people make the organization.

Take for example the climbing counter. When I go to the counter, I always feel comfortable when "MB" helps me. OK, I can't climb 5.13 like him.... but his advice is always good.

Take for example the shoes. I bought "Lowa" boots, and wool socks at the suggestion of the person who helped me. When I returned from the Tetons without a single blister.... I was grateful. I even carried my own gear (unlike the Exxum guided folks)

I can buy a rope every year with my dividend check.... Ok, I average 1K Dollars/year.

I am part of an organization that is provided free meeting space by REI www.saltlakeclimbers.org

I don't know... but I would give them two thumbs up.... anyone else care to chime in?

whipper

Sep 1, 2002, 4:33 AM
Post #3 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok dude. I know you are in Dallas and that is hard enough. But do not give them any more buisiness. They do not hire people who know jack about climbing. They are lucky to have been rapelling once at E rock. while wearing their surpluss camo fatigues. but as for choices goes, locally try whole earth provisions on Mockingbird. They dont know much more but they are better. I like Shoreline Online. www.shorelinmtn.com they rock.

apollodorus

Sep 1, 2002, 4:38 AM
Post #4 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

REI was one of the first (or THE first) outdoor equipment co-ops. REI also sponsored the first American to go up Everest, Jim Whittaker (year?).

REI and Chouinard's Great Pacific Iron Works (later sold and became Black Diamond) were the twin poster children for conscientious retailing of climbing gear. Patagonia is still held in awe by CEOs worldwide as the near-perfect business model.

Unless things have changed, I would say that REI is right at the top of the Ethical Peak when it comes to supporting outdoor activities. I don't know if they're still based out of Berkeley, but, well you know what that means. Any group that got started in the late '60s in Berkeley and is still going has to be doing something right.

You should check out their website to find out more.

I still have an REI member's card from 1976. Back then, they gave you a card; they punched your number into their system so you would get your end-of-year rebate. Today, it's all on the computer, which is even better. But, I will always keep that card.

EDITED BECAUSE I TYPE TOO FAST, AND THEN HAVE TO FIX THINGS

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-08-31 21:43 ]

Partner euroford

Sep 1, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #5 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the tips guys. yeah i'm already an REI memeber. at this store i get 10% off as well as my dividend. so the membership payed for itself when i purchased some stuff for work, and later when i bought my first climbing gear. I'm curious to hear other poeples views, but from what i've heard i think i can be happy about giveing them business.

i'll definitly check out HEP. but ya know, i really love living in dallas. despite its lack of rocks and massive light pollution (also an astronomy enthusiest), dallas is a really great place to live!!!

mobius

Sep 1, 2002, 4:49 AM
Post #6 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at an REI in Phoenix. As far as knowlege of climbing in the staff goes, its good. Not everyone knows it, some people dont have a clue about anything in the climbing section, but that should be understood, as we all have our nitches. We are treated very well, and its been in TIMES 50 best companys to wrok for for like the last 5 years or something. We have clinics where companys from PETZL, BD, and what not come in and teach us about their proudcts, and why they believe it is superior. Being a staff memeber, we get KICKIN deals on gear, with the express purpose being that we we hands on experience with the gear, hince giving you-the coustomer-better servive by giving you what suits your needs the best. Oh yeah, join the coop too man, its a kickin deal(people think were tryin to weasle em out of $15, but its really a good deal). We do trial building and maintance as well, so we do support the local cragers. Hope i helped.
Matthew~

barc

Sep 1, 2002, 4:54 AM
Post #7 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like REI fine. Well, mostly because they do the divedend thing AND they are all over the country. Most outdoor shops seem to give you the 10% but when I'm out of town you don't get it. BUT, I would like to note that in my experience most employees at REI don't know much about climbing. But who ever wanted to get educated by a store clerk about your climbing gear anyway.
See you.
Elliott

texasclimber

Sep 1, 2002, 3:42 PM
Post #8 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to the REIs in Houston, Austin, and Missula, Montana. The people all vary to their knowledge about rock. But REI takes back anything you buy there if it brakes over the whole life of the product. I brought back a chalk bag (used) b/c it was a little too small. It was perfectly fine and they just let me get a bigger one! They also sponsor my favorite climbing place in Austin. REI is not the cheapest, but they are worth the $3 extra dollars you're gunna pay.

michaelmay513

Sep 1, 2002, 4:40 PM
Post #9 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude(etts) if you want good gear at a cheap price. Buy it overseas. Check out www.barrabes.com & www.telemark-pyrenees.com they are both in spain. I bought a pair of boreal lasers from them and they were only 39.95 + 10.00 shipping. got them in 8 days

Partner euroford

Sep 1, 2002, 5:59 PM
Post #10 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude(etts) if you want good gear at a cheap price. Buy it overseas. Check out www.barrabes.com & www.telemark-pyrenees.com they are both in spain. I bought a pair of boreal lasers from them and they were only 39.95 + 10.00 shipping. got them in 8 days

that type of thing is exacly what i am trying to avoid. i think its important to support company which support your sport/hobbie. i don't see how you could expect an overseas mail order house to support the crags american climbers use.

holygecko

Sep 1, 2002, 7:46 PM
Post #11 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was recently at my first REI store and as I am sure that I do not speak for everyone I was not impressed the store was arranged poorly, the people were not friendly, and the selection was bad, this is just my local store and no offense to those people that know of a good REI, as for me Moosejaw, of East Lansing has the coolest workers and the best gear I would move in and live there if they'd let me

bonesz

Sep 1, 2002, 11:06 PM
Post #12 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One phrase, dividend checks !!! Replace that biner you dropped, buy that silly happy camper hat, they're very knowlegable in the climbing area, at least that's the case in the Reading Ma store, not to mention they treat you like a regular even if your not. I was in the other day buying fuel for my little stoves and the sales person went and got me a basket. Need I say more, not to mention they introduce you to avid climbers if they happen to breeze through, I've met very cool folk there and will give them my support ! Much better that EMS, tonight the sales person was too involved in a discussion to help me replace a pr of climbing shoes, well blew that 150$ sale....

orangekyak

Sep 2, 2002, 12:21 AM
Post #13 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to work at an REI store. The people there were either very knowledgable about their particular outdoor passions, or very good at retail (a few both).

As an organization, I endorse REI because it gives money (is a big Access Fund sponsor), gives money back (dividend to members) and is a fun place to go buy fun stuff.

At the store I worked at the people there did not BS you. If they don't know what they're talking about, they don't pretend to.

In my opinion, stores like REI, EMS and other chains can be great to go learn about gear. I personally NEVER pay full price for gear, cuz I learned while working at REI, that you rarely have to. You can always find deals if that's what you're looking for, be it online or on sale. But if you are going to pay full price, buy it at REI. They don't suck, and you'll get your 10% back.

Jeremy (again, I'm a FORMER REI employee)

mesomorf

Sep 2, 2002, 2:59 AM
Post #14 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been a member of REI for over 30 years.

That doesn't mean I support everything they do.

Unfortunately, I don't have hard evidence to support what I'm about to say.

Rumor has it that they were (are) behind Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada ceasing to ship climbing gear to the US.

Also, REI is a member of the Outdoor Industry Association (formerly ORCA), which I hear is FOR recreational use fees.

This is all unsubstantited, I repeat.

I also have a suspicion that their coming to town had something to do with a local long-time mom & pop climbing/ski shop closing down.

I still buy there, in fact I was there today. But I sort of hold my nose when I buy.

Mesomorf

doosh

Sep 2, 2002, 5:57 AM
Post #15 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I worked for REI for 3 years.

They treat their employees well and help whatever community they are in.

Yet, they are also a nonlocal business (to your zone) and are a huge corporation.

They actually do little to "support" local crags... (yeah, I know about the sign at reimers. I was responsible for it.)

Whole Earth Provision actually doesn{t do much for the crags, either.

Truthfully, if you want to support a Texas business responsible for opening more crags than any other, support www.austinrockgym.com they sell 5.10 and cordless... what more do you need.

And, we got McKinney Falls open for boldering...

Thats a direct impact.

Partner euroford

Sep 2, 2002, 4:13 PM
Post #16 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Truthfully, if you want to support a Texas business responsible for opening more crags than any other, support www.austinrockgym.com they sell 5.10 and cordless... what more do you need.

Thanks, now i know where to go climb when i head down to austin on business!!

doosh

Sep 2, 2002, 4:28 PM
Post #17 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are, of course, quite welcome.

lawnboy

Sep 2, 2002, 6:51 PM
Post #18 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to go to Austin!

jhwnewengland

Sep 2, 2002, 10:21 PM
Post #19 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That kind of stuff's not appreciated here. Spelling it differently doesn't make it any better, in fact it makes people think you're an idiot.

jhwnewengland

Sep 2, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #20 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

heh heh. Alright, I'm a jerk. Sorry.

colin

Sep 2, 2002, 11:24 PM
Post #21 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hewked on phoneicks warked fo me!

Partner euroford

Sep 3, 2002, 3:20 AM
Post #22 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm pretty sure my thread just made a crater

thanks for the variety of responses. i just bought more stuff from the evil corportate bastards who sometimes support climbers

tim m hovey

sparky

Sep 3, 2002, 3:27 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

REI has no employees who know what they are talking about, if i'm not sure about something or what the difference is on something i make sure and NOT go to rei so i won't get some bullshit story about why i should buy this over that, i once had an rei guy try to sell me and 4.5 camalot when i was buy aid equipment, i havn't *bought* anything from them since. I do like going and pointing out all the mistakes the sales person makes while trying to explain a piece of gear, they get real mad, it's funny!

clmbnski

Sep 3, 2002, 3:37 AM
Post #24 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only buy camping gear from REI. I get my climbing gear from the gym. They have a better selection and knowledgeable employees. I think REI use to be a more down to earth store and now have gotten to big and commercial. I dont really mind them but they did push all the mom and pop stores in my area out of business.

dantman

Sep 3, 2002, 12:54 PM
Post #25 of 38 (4850 views)
Shortcut

REI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Support Your local small business owners. They need your money more than some of these big outfits. Generally they know a lot more about the product they are selling because generally they are out there using the stuff.
Nothing against the big guys!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook