Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Saudi Arabia Climbing and Canyoning
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mudmaster

Jan 31, 2006, 9:11 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Saudi Arabia Climbing and Canyoning  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Cedar_Mountain_Boulders: Cornflakes)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just an FYI. I recently returned from Saudi Arabia after a 40-day junket for the Supreme Commission for Tourism, cataloging climbing areas, routes, and technical canyons. I'm an ex-resident of Saudi Arabia who's done extensive climbing and caving there.

The SCT has been slow to my recommendation that they put the results of the research on their website. So I'm going to post it on rockclimbing.com, and the understanding is that anyone who reads this stuff, uses the pictures or maps, will NOT do so for commercial gain. Keep in mind that this is COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. I'm giving rockclimbing.com specific permission to place this information on their website.

Depending on how long it takes for the website to review and post this material, expect to see the beta from each new region at the end of successive weekends throughout February and March, 2006.

Those of you who follow these postings will be happy you did. Saudi Arabia is a "Mecca" in more than one way. It's probably the biggest of the final frontiers for new big wall and big tower climbing.

A final note. Saudi Arabia will announce it's opening to climbing in April at an international travel show in Oman. This will not mean it's going to be easier to get into the Kingdom. Tourist visas are still not available at the time of this first post, and probably will not be for at least another year. In the mean time, if you want to get into the Kingdom to do some truly outrageous climbing, I'll help you get there if you'll just send me a brief e-mail and proposed timetable.

Regards to y'all.

Dave Black

mudmaster

Feb 7, 2006, 7:24 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Re: Saudi Arabia Climbing and Canyoning - GPS pts to come [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK. I've started posting the material for Saudi Arabia. Don't be too disappointed by the first areas that get posted...the good stuff is coming later.

Once I have all the areas and routes posted, I'll edit each area to post GPS data.

Photos will be slow to follow. Each has to be approved by the moderators.

triznut

Feb 7, 2006, 7:34 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Re: Saudi Arabia Climbing and Canyoning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should post pictures to go along with the information you're posting. Would love to see what S.A. has got...

ragen_3rd

Feb 12, 2006, 8:43 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi..im 3 months tops here in riyadh....got busy with my work...and i guess it's now time for fun...will u be able to help me find a club or climbing enthusiasts here?

thanks....

mudmaster

Feb 15, 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Re the last two posts:

Triznut, I'm trying to post pics. This is going to be a long process. I'm still trying to catch up with work back home, and I'm still wrestling with some problems I'm having getting the posts & Pics where I want them. I'm only going to be able to work on this an hour or so each week. Be patient, I think you'll see some good stuff.

Ragen, e-mail me at shiadilaah@yahoo.com....we can pass some details about contacts there.

akyatbato

Jul 22, 2006, 7:58 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Mud,

Knowing that the government here is quite conservative, may I know who is the person we should talk to to get permits to climb in KSA?

Thanks!

AKB

akyatbato

Nov 4, 2006, 9:43 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys! I added more routes in the Riyadh area page: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=10492

Mudmaster, are you coming back here in Riyadh? I hope we can have the chance to meet up.

Ragen, PM me if you are interested in joining our weekend climbs.

Cheers,

AKB

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook