Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

stewbabby

Aug 30, 2002, 6:31 PM
Post #1 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

What does it cost to climb outside?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If your answer to this question was nothing then you are wrong!

I came to this realization a couple of weeks ago, after listening and talking with Shannon Stuart-Smith of the Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition at the Southeastern Access Summit.

Our greatest resource as climbers is the crags where we climb. Thus our ultimate responsibility is to preserve these places for our use and for the use of future generations.

So with that in mind; what does it cost you to climb?

We should leave the crag in as good or better shape than it was in before our trip. If it is as small of a thing as picking up a wrapper or two on your way in our out, that still helps. One of the biggest things that you can do to help though is to become involved in you local climbing organization. Almost every area of the country has one, and they can be a great benefit to all of us. Become an active member. Participate in Adopt a Crag Day, help with trail days, volunteer to help replace bolts, do whatever you can to help. If every climber on this site did a little to help it would do wonders for maintaining our crags and preserving them for future generations.

CLIMBING IS NOT FREE

stewart

dembrunjs

Aug 30, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #2 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

What does it cost to climb outside? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said Stew...

Though I think the search is futile, I will try to find a Climbing Association in the Great New Orleans area

Peace

madturtle

Aug 30, 2002, 8:24 PM
Post #3 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good call!!

I would also suggest checking out where you buy your gear. Support climbing shops that support the local crags rather than going to the oversees online gear stores. Make a point of buying gear that supports the Access fund and let those companies know that's part of the reason you buy their gear. Likewise let brands and shops that don't contribute know why you shop elsewhere.

If you have time but no money contribute your time, if you have money but no time donate some $$$. If you think you have neither start sucking it up and come up with some. Just my thoughts on the matter.

stewbabby

Aug 31, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #4 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joseph,
It doesn’t have to be in New Orleans. Get involved with the climbing association that helps to protect the areas that you will visit. For you it would probably be the southeastern climbers coalition. Check it out some time.

It truly is a great desire of mine to see climbers care a little bit about more than themselves. Climbing is not just about me. Its about my daughter, and her having the opportunity to get to do her first lead. If we don’t do our part now, our kids will not have that chance. Just think about it. And give something!

stewart

rockwarrior

Aug 31, 2002, 2:27 AM
Post #5 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

especially since the economy is down it would be a incredible statement if climbing became a high grossing sport. Not only to send a message to the senators and reps that climbing is important. But that there are people out that who care and truly enjoy the sport of climbing its sad to say people in the past and i am sure in the future haven't given the best name to climbing. I totally agree with you ,stewbabby,

climb on,

Rockwarrior

daggerx

Aug 31, 2002, 4:02 AM
Post #6 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well im going to take you question in a different direction then I think you wanted it to and tell you what it has really costed me to climb out side.

A good job and a nice home in michigan where my family was, the love of my life. almost every penny I get, ect...ect...ect...

DaggerX

climbingpride

Aug 31, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #7 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well excluding gas and gear, today we spent a woopping $7.50, all on Taco Bell. How bout you?

stewbabby

Aug 31, 2002, 2:54 PM
Post #8 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dagger and climbing pride,

You both totally missed the point and validated my point. Pride Im glad you had a good day climbing and a not so cheep taco, but what did you give back to climbing. Did you clean up any trash? Did you help a landowner? Did you do any trail work? Did you replace any anchors? If you didnt give back, then you are part of the problem not the solution.

Do something!

stewart

climbingpride

Sep 1, 2002, 11:56 PM
Post #9 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done plenty to help the environment. My dad prevously a park ranger and self proclamed "tree hugger" makes me always "pack more out then in". Not counting what i do with my family, i am always helping out with eagle projects with the environment. Now with me relitively new intro to climbing and doing things there. It just bugs me to see broken glass at the bottom of routes. One to the extent where i hate having to have my rope bag on it because it is just everywhere and dang neer imposible to pick up.

orangekyak

Sep 2, 2002, 12:12 AM
Post #10 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I decided today that I'm going to bring work gloves and paper bags with me everytime I go climbing. There is a lot of glass at the sites I go to around Boston. It's not just at the bases of cliffs, but at the top where anchors are set and stuff.

If for no other reason, pick up glass to protect your gear and your feet.

daggerx

Sep 2, 2002, 3:10 AM
Post #11 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know I missed the point, of what you were saying it was just the depressed mood Im in. Actually I have put in countless hours trying to undo the bad at the rocks that others have done, with picking up trash replacing bolts, trying to tech others the right way to do stuff ect...

DaggerX

doosh

Sep 2, 2002, 5:46 AM
Post #12 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't paid full price for a pair of shoes or a crashpad since 1994.

I don't use tape or cigarettes.

The public access aorund here is really good, and the trespassing is better.

Financially, climbing cost me very little.

So, when the original post finished with some bullsh¡t about cleaning up the crag, you can imagine how surprised I was to hear that leaving tape and stuff ends up costing "us" "more" or something.

It costs nothing to litter.. but it makes you cooler if you don't.

What is this thread aboot anyway? CANADA ?

roughster

Sep 2, 2002, 6:12 AM
Post #13 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about you guys, but I laid down over $200 for bolts and hangers the other day = OUCH!

doosh

Sep 2, 2002, 6:46 AM
Post #14 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to mention glue and holds for those freeway underpasses...

carnaged

Sep 2, 2002, 7:17 AM
Post #15 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well let's put it this way, climbing outside costs more than I can afford!

Kat

doosh

Sep 2, 2002, 7:20 AM
Post #16 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets see...

$100 5.10 Moccasyms
$140 Metolius Large Crashpad
$0 Season at Squamish
=====================================

GO BOLDERING.

Seriously, boldering is cheap.

carnaged

Sep 2, 2002, 7:53 AM
Post #17 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

5.10 Mocs are $130 where I live
Pad's about $190.

Sucks to live here. Ya get dealt with all the expensive stuff. But you're right, it's still cheaper to just go bouldering!~

Kat

overlord

Sep 2, 2002, 11:17 AM
Post #18 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, it can be free if you have someone to drive you and lent you gear so if you exploit people, its free, otherwise...

CLIMB ON

orangekyak

Sep 15, 2002, 5:22 PM
Post #19 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's great that some people don't have litter or access problems at their favorite crags.

I think it's better still that people can analyze their own habbits and feel that they practice low-impact recreation.

But access problems usually seem to come about from the actions of non-climbers which thrive under the ignorance of climbers. If you don't look out for your crags (free or not) and know what's going on with access and who else is using the land and for what, then you will lose a place you love.

If you don't want to be aware and active then don't be upset ... If you have a conscience but don't feel like being aware or active, then support your crags with your cash (local shops, gyms and non-profits).

The "price" of climbing is vigilance, if you can't afford that, just make sure you buy your stuff nearby.

jeremy

ajkclay

Sep 15, 2002, 7:42 PM
Post #20 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Harness: $130.00

Climbing Shoes: $210.00

Rope and 'Draws: $600.00

Having the rope finally take on a big whipper:

PRICELESS

climbinganne

Sep 16, 2002, 2:36 AM
Post #21 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$15 parking ticket at Chickies Rock...

earsen

Sep 16, 2002, 3:54 PM
Post #22 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right on ajkclay.
Technically, you CAN climb for nothing outside, albeit bouldering barefoot without a crashpad or any other gear. I try not to plug my biz where inapropriate, but others have plastered web addresses all over this thread so what the hell. Check out the "package deals" at www.climbonrock.com, you can get everything you need for less that what others are talking about in this thread. If have any questions, email me from the site.
Eric

orangekyak

Sep 16, 2002, 5:11 PM
Post #23 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You arse ...

You just made the point of this thread with your ulta-cheesy plug of your website. Everyone wants to make a living and climb a lot, but your plug is exactly what this thread is against.

If everyone leaves their cigarette butts at the base of the cliff do you leave yours? Then why do you follow suit ...

Quote:
I try not to plug my biz where inapropriate, but others have plastered web addresses all over this thread so what the hell. Check out the "package deals" ...

Get a clue! And I'm not even going to flame the quality of gear or website you offer.

DID YOU EVEN READ THE MESSAGES IN THIS THREAD?

The people talking about equipment costs are missing the point entirely. Get a clue. Be one of the responsible guides, gear sellers, or whatever you are. Be responsible for your self, at least. And teach your clients the same.

jeremy

sparky

Sep 16, 2002, 8:25 PM
Post #24 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other thatn the gear it costs at least 50 bucks for entrance fees (state parks pass) and that is just stae parks, rocky mountain national is 15 bucks

rocknalaska

Sep 16, 2002, 10:40 PM
Post #25 of 32 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously you're referring to the non-financial costs of climbing outside.

I live in a state with an abundance of wilderness, much of it very fragile. I've seen firsthand the effects of climbing relative to many other activities, and the impact is truly minimal. I clean up trash everywhere I go, and most of it isn't from climbers. So the trail use and cleanup costs are minimal.

There is so little development that the main costs are time and money to develop the crags and boulders we do have.

I support the access fund, not because we need the help here(at least right now), but because what they do is help climbing as a whole. I think people are often blinded by their local situation and assume everyplace else is the same.

Some places are more sensative than others. However, this doesn't mean we can ignore environmental impact in less sensative areas. Over the last decade as climbing has become more popular, we have seen the effects of cooperating with the land managers, and the effects of ignoring them.

Everyone who climbs climbs outside should look at these costs as an investment in an activity we all love.

The bottom line is to respect the land.

Todd

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook