Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

chouca

Jul 25, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #126 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Re: granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Our thoughts and prayers are with Rebecca and Nathan. I never met them, but I was living in the Niagara Region area around the time she was planning to move there.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery,
Marc B.

sergeidude

Jul 25, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #127 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All the best wishes for the speedy recovery.
-s

Partner j_ung

Jul 25, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #128 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hot damn! Way to fight, Rebecca! :D

schveety

Jul 25, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #129 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have great respect for any woman who pulls hard and takes on the challenge and look up to their accomplishments and hope to be just as great a climber someday!!! Thanks for giving us new female (and men too I'm sure ... :wink: ) climbers something to aspire to and my prayers are with you for a full recovery.........

Schveety V.

deafclimber

Jul 25, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #130 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rebecca, hang in there !

Best wishes on a speedy recovery....

cam

Jul 25, 2006, 4:05 PM
Post #131 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sending out my positive thoughts. Hoping your recovery is a speedy one, Rebecca.

So, any info on the fall? I climb at Nemo often and would like to know what happened...from someone who was there if possible. The initial reports of a broken rope sound unlikely to be true. Perhaps someone with info can start another thread to preserve the integrity of this one as a "get well soon card" thread.

Best,
Mike.

cam out.

dutyje

Jul 25, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #132 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sending out my positive thoughts. Hoping your recovery is a speedy one, Rebecca.

So, any info on the fall? I climb at Nemo often and would like to know what happened...from someone who was there if possible. The initial reports of a broken rope sound unlikely to be true. Perhaps someone with info can start another thread to preserve the integrity of this one as a "get well soon card" thread.

Best,
Mike.

cam out.

I agree a new thread should be started when the time is right. I will leave it to those who were there to make that decision. In the meantime, the following info was posted earlier in this thread:

In reply to:
Thanks everyone for all the kind thoughts during such a difficult time.

I was with Rebecca belaying her when this unfortunate accident occured. I'm sure everyone is wondering exactly what happened, so without getting into too much detail, She basically took a bad fall while on lead, and struck a ledge before the rope came tight and finally caught her. I'm not too sure what caused her to fall in the first place, from where I was it looked like she had good footing on big blocky terain. I'm guessing that maybe one of her feet slipped while she was preparing to place her next gear. As she fell I just remember pulling in slack as fast as I possibly could, hoping the rope would tighten up before she got to the ledge.

It's an absolutely terrible feeling to see something like this, knowing there's nothing more you can do.

I was with her the whole time once we got her to the ground, as we waited for the EMS to arrive, just trying comfort her, and keep her still. Again, it's such a horrible feeling to see someone in so much pain, and not being able to do anything.

The amount of strength and courage it took for Rebecca to pull through really shows the kind of person she is.

Out of respect to Rebecca, I'd rather not get into too much more detail. If/when she chooses to share her experience, I think she'd like to do it in her own words.

Brent - Thanks for keeping us updated, my thoughts and prayers are with Rebecca and her friends and family. As I've said before, please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

I hope to see you soon Rebecca,

Sincerely,

Colin

At this point, let's all be thankful that her recovery has thus far shown many positive signs.

dlintz

Jul 25, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #133 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hoping for a speedy and full recovery. Hang in there girl. :cry:

d.

timstich

Jul 25, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #134 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very, very sorry to hear this.

dfrb26dett

Jul 25, 2006, 6:56 PM
Post #135 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I send my best wishes to Granite_grrl and her family. It's never nice to here about things like this, it really puts the true dangers of our sport into focus. It's easy for some to forget that even if you do your best to be safe and do everything right, things can still go wrong.

noisymonkey

Jul 25, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #136 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m not sure if Rebecca will remember me, but I certainly remember her. You always remember the person who takes you climbing for the first time.

Perhaps a year and a half ago I posted some self-pitying drivel on these boards, the exact content of which escapes me now. I had been climbing in the gym for less than a year, my regular partner was abroad, and I was climbing with some gym folk whom I felt really uncomfortable with. I was dying to get outside but had no one to do it with.

Enter Rebecca. She didn’t just post encouraging words -she went one step further and invited me climbing. So, thanks to Rebecca, on a day in early spring in 2005 I went climbing outdoors for the first time ever. I carried two backpacks (yes, for a single afternoon in Milton, please don’t ask me why), wore inappropriate blue jeans and balked at a tiny 5.0 traverse type thing on the approach. Rebecca took the whole thing in stride and was very encouraging. She was patient, very safe, and took care to ensure that my first time out was a positive one. And it was, I had tons of fun. After that first experience, I couldn’t wait to get out there again and again.

Since that day, I’ve climbed on three continents (here, Africa, Asia). You will certainly not read about my exploits in any of the climbing mags, but I’ve had a lot of fun.

Thanks Rebecca!

It’s a pretty small, perhaps insignificant story, but it meant a lot to me. Though I only met her once, I would guess that it says a lot about Rebecca’s character, especially in a sport that is not often kind to newbies. I returned to Canada a little while ago and saw an entry in my cell phone book called “Rebecca Rock” and thought, “I should contact her and tell her how much I appreciated that one small act.” I’m doing that now, of course wishing the circumstances were different; hoping late is better than never.

So Rebecca, I am writing to say “Get well soon” and to let you know I’m sending healing vibes your way, but also to send you and your family a warm-hearted story of just one of the (I’m sure many) people you’ve positively influenced in the climbing world. I hope it makes you feel good to know that you’re appreciated.

See you at the crag,
Cara

Partner zara

Jul 25, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #137 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hope you recover soon!

jms

Jul 25, 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #138 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm so sad to hear this! my best wishes go out to her, and for a speedy recovery. I hope to see her back outside and at gravity asap! Thanks for the info Brent, please keep us updated.

Jackie

bmelanson

Jul 25, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #139 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have my fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

obsessed

Jul 25, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #140 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update on Rebecca's progress.

I thought I would give Brent a break and give this short update to let everyone know that Rebecca is progressing well.
Today she was able to open her eyes and look at me, acknowledge me and squeeze my hand so hard I thought my fingers were going to break!
It is very likely that the breathing tube will be able to be removed tomorrow.
Comparing how she was on Sunday to how she is now is a true picture of what kind of fighter this girl is and how strong she is, not only in body but in mind. I have told her that everyone in "our climbing community" is sending their good thoughts and wishes. Keep them coming.

Kelly

kantkatchme

Jul 25, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #141 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thx for the update...

keep fighting!!!!
and everyone else hang there.

davidji

Jul 25, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #142 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wishing you a strong & speedy recovery Rebecca.

colotopian

Jul 25, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #143 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geeze! Tough Girl!

Give em' hell Rebecca! I think you have like the entire RC website pulling for you. Oh, and get the french toast when it sounds good. A nurse got it for me when I was in a while back. Really lightened things up. :D

findingit

Jul 25, 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #144 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rebecca, we're thinking about you up here. I know you are tough as nails, so pull through and make us proud.

Can't wait to see you up here in Lion's Head......even if it's just for some R&R, or some fishing.

Keep Healing!!!

Clint.

Partner brent_e

Jul 25, 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #145 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I thought I would give Brent a break and give this short update to let everyone know that Rebecca is progressing well.
Today she was able to open her eyes and look at me, acknowledge me and squeeze my hand so hard I thought my fingers were going to break!
Comparing how she was on Sunday to how she is now is a true picture of what kind of fighter this girl is and how strong she is, not only in body but in mind. I have told her that everyone in "our climbing community" is sending their good thoughts and wishes. Keep them coming.

Kelly

Thanks for the call and the update, Kelly. this news has made me so happy. And I will take the opportunity to thank you for helping Nate and Rebecca's parents on here, as well. You deserve some recognition for all that you've done to help our friend, and I thank you.

To noisymonkey,
Rebecca has taken out a newbie on more than one occasion. We actually met on rc.com, and I am grateful that we did as she has been a good friend and will continue to be!!!

Thanks to all that have responded, again. It's a beautiful thing to see this.

Best

Brent

grampacharlie

Jul 26, 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #146 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not know Rebecca, and will proly never meet most of you, but reading this thread has warmed my heart. Best wishes Granit_grrl, get well soon.
mike.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Jul 26, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #147 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also don't know you personally, but you obviously have many friends who rightfully speak highly of your character. I'm glad you seem to be recovering well :)

Good luck & hang in there!!

gowser

Jul 26, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #148 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Kelly

thanks kelly and brent for the updates. what great news!!! continuing to send positive thoughts your way!!!! :D

neil

tradrenn

Jul 26, 2006, 3:08 AM
Post #149 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm happy to read that Rebecca is getting better.

Wojtek

willrl

Jul 26, 2006, 4:50 AM
Post #150 of 354 (74725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen Rebecca a couple of times in Kentucky and most recently this spring at Bon Echo. I was very saddened to hear the news of this accident. I'm glad to hear that she's making such good progress.

Brent or Kelly, could you send me a PM if you know where we might be able to send flowers or cards. I've been in contact with a number of people who know Rebecca and many were hoping to send her something to let her know we're all thinking about her.

If not, just let her know that Will, Derek, Kit, Rob, Sue and all her friends in the ACC send their best wishes for a speedy recovery. We all want to see her back at Bon Echo soon.

Will Richardson-Little

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook