Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
angeles crest hwy to mt. williamson closed by fire hazard (9
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

indigo_nite

Sep 2, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2087 views)
Shortcut

angeles crest hwy to mt. williamson closed by fire hazard (9  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Williamson_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A section of Angeles Crest Highway (2) headed from La Canada to Mt. Williamson was closed today due to a fire (:eek:) to the east, 30 miles north of Azusa.

A staff person at the Clear Creek Adventure Pass booth said the fire started less than 24 hours ago. The official cause of the fire was unknown. The staff person speculated that the fire was likely started by people because the fire began before recent area storms did.

Another section of the Angeles Crest Highway headed west towards the fire was also closed.

For the latest road information, contact the Clear Creek Adventure Pass office at 626-797-9959 or call the CalTrans hotline at 800-427-7623 (inquire about Highway 2). See the CalTrans website at http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ (search Highway 2).

I believe the fire is described in the National Interagency Fire Center website at http://www.nifc.gov/fireinfo/nfn.html (under California > Curve - Angeles National Forest post).

Bummer b/c it would've been my first climb with rc.com-ers. Be safe

EDIT: Linked to Mt Williamson in database/ROUGH

[ This Message was edited by: roughster on 2002-09-14 23:57 ]

jt512

Sep 11, 2002, 1:42 AM
Post #2 of 2 (2087 views)
Shortcut

angeles crest hwy to mt. williamson closed by fire hazard (9 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A/O 6 am 9/10/02 the fire was 85% contained, according to the Forest Service.

CalTrans is reporting that Hwy 2 is open from La Canada to Williamson, but still closed east of Williamson.

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook