RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

verticaltrip

Jul 27, 2006, 6:58 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

packing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

when packing your pack for a day at the crag, do you unrack everything off your harness to pack it or do you leave it on and just throw it in.?

thanks, Kyle.

andypro

Jul 27, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Re: packing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I make every effort to carefully place everything I've brought into the bag in such a manner that it will be the most hellatious knot of shit when I attempt to unpack. It takes about 8 seconds to pull this off.

That's as long as I'm not on amutli-day trip. If that's the case, I spend a little time to make sure that the knot is at least undoable in a reasonable amount of time when I get to wherever I'm going afterwards.

caughtinside

Jul 27, 2006, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like, ahead of time?

I've got it all in order on the gear sling. Generally, I take extra stuff (a big cam, micronuts, double cams, extra slings) and I'll shed whatever I don't need for that particular climb (if cragging).

If it's a longer route, everything I need is racked on the sling and ready to go. I'll take some stuff off and put it on my harness, but I'm a gear sling climber.

I think it's better to rack right before a climb, particularly if you're going all off the harness. WHen everything is already clumped/tangled on there, it would be easy to miss a piece that you might want or need, or it might be your buddy's lead.

At the end of the day, I just stuff everything in the pack and sort it out later.

Partner epoch

Jul 27, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to invest into a Bag of Tricks...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=76186

Rack + runners + Harness + sometimes shoes...

When climbing, well afterwards, it all gets shoved as delicate as possible within 6 seconds into my bag... Rope, Rack, shoes, harness, monkey, clothes.....

andypro

Jul 27, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Rope, Rack, shoes, harness, monkey, clothes.....

WTF? How do you get your monkey to stay in the bag?! And is this one of those oversized bouldering monkeys, or a lightweight alpine monkey? I cant get the bastard off my back :evil:

caughtinside

Jul 27, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to invest into a Bag of Tricks...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=76186

Rack + runners + Harness + sometimes shoes...

When climbing, well afterwards, it all gets shoved as delicate as possible within 6 seconds into my bag... Rope, Rack, shoes, harness, monkey, clothes.....

That bag of tricks doesn't look useful at all if you have to walk more than 2 minutes to get to the climb you want to do.

qtm

Jul 27, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Rope, Rack, shoes, harness, monkey, clothes.....

WTF? How do you get your monkey to stay in the bag?! And is this one of those oversized bouldering monkeys, or a lightweight alpine monkey? I cant get the bastard off my back :evil:

I had a tailor sew in a small zipper in the bottom of the bag.

I throw a banana into the empty bag, and the monkey always follows. Quickly drop the rope in on top of him, along with the rest of the gear and close the bag. Flip it over, carefully open the smaller zipper and pull out the banana (so you don't get smashed banana over the bottom of your bag). Depending on the size of the monkey, it might get an arm or even a head out the bottom of the bag, in which case just leave the zipper open, it's much easier than trying to get it back in the bag.

Partner epoch

Jul 27, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That bag of tricks doesn't look useful at all if you have to walk more than 2 minutes to get to the climb you want to do.

Actually, it fits well inside my 45 liter pack. Allows quick loading and because of the Mil Spec design, it also serves well as an impromtu haul bag.

In reply to:
WTF? How do you get your monkey to stay in the bag?! And is this one of those oversized bouldering monkeys, or a lightweight alpine monkey? I cant get the bastard off my back.

It's an alpine monkey. How else do you think I get gear in on those hard climbs... (He thinks that my #34980 C4 is his girl, hence the staying in the bag when I don't want him out.)

caughtinside

Jul 27, 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually, it fits well inside my 45 liter pack. Allows quick loading and because of the Mil Spec design, it also serves well as an impromtu haul bag.

You know what fits well inside my pack? My rack, without a bag of tricks! :P

the_pirate

Jul 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Allows quick loading and because of the Mil Spec design,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like the gym bag you get free at Foot Locker with the purchase of a pair of sneakers.

the_pirate

Jul 28, 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #11 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partner epoch

Jul 28, 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

True. True. The afformentioned bag was bought for gear orgainization and storage. Plus it meets airline carry on requirements. I needed something easier to get to when going through those stupid dectecors at the airport. (You know, for when they pull you aside to check what all the metal in the bag REALLY is.) Quick acess to my junk. Aside from that, I usually take what I need out and shove it in my pack. 6 more oz would break my back.

notch

Jul 28, 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything off of my harness. Gear on my gear sling, draws and extra biners on a 24" sling. Then I loop a sling around the gear on the gear sling and slip knot it to hold everything together. Same for the draws. The two bundles slide into my pack nice and easily and are well organized for whatever endeavor the day has.

Partner tradman

Jul 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything on the sling, just because we never know if it's me or my partner who'll take the first lead.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook