Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

krusher4

Jul 29, 2006, 7:54 PM
Post #26 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Re: Powder Chalk vs Chalk Ball [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Loose all the way. One I also cannot get enough on my hands with the balls. Two it's way cheaper. Three when your about to pump out and you have to squeeze the ball as your sweating balls that's wasted energy.

And when you're really pumped, you can't squeeze the chalk ball. Mostly I'm a chalk addict and need as much as possible as quickly as possible.

I was saying that useing the ball would stop me from being able to pull the crux :oops:

slimper

Jul 29, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #27 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
grampacharlie wrote:
I use both a ball, and loose chalk. My method is to fill the ball, or cutoff sock with a bandana or the rest of the old sock. I then fill my chalk bag with loose chalk. This allows me to get loose chalk on my fingertips, the ball is used to transfer chalk to my palms for cracks/slopers. The ball never deflates and I get the best of both worlds.

This works for me also. I like it because the ball sits on top of the loose chalk. So when you just need a little grab the ball and squeeze. Then, when the sweat really starts to flow jab your fingers into the loose chalk........Instant sweat killing chalky goodness.

climberboy193838

Jul 29, 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #28 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Screw chalk balls and screw Bison. Bison is like using baby powder. IT MAKES YOUR HAND SWEATIER THAN IF YOU JUST DIDN'T USE CHALK AT ALL!!!!!!!!! Chalk balls do not get enough chalk on your hands, Metolious is probably the best chalk to get. Ball or loose its awesome.

Partner blazesod

Jul 29, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #29 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what would be a good brand for a chalk ball or loose chalk?

Make your own chalk ball for $0.99 :!:

Save yourself some cash on the chalk ball. Buy a pair of white ladies nylons at the local 99 cent store. Crush gym chalk or any other brand and fill a toe of the nylon with it until it "feels good in the hand." Then pull the nylon tight, cut off the top and tie a knot. To ensure your ball will last a few seasons, Pull the other toe over the first covering the knot. Then cut and tie a knot in it. :)

Climb on,
-Dave

edit: to answer the OP- I use a chalk ball with minimal loose chalk in the bag for TRAD. I don't boulder anymore.

whitribj

Jul 31, 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #30 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what would be a good brand for a chalk ball or loose chalk?

X chalk from zen lizard. I find that my hands feel cooler, I dip less, and as an added bonus it smells like nutmeg!

tb69hikeclimb

Jul 31, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #31 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I 've found that the best use for a chalk ball is an impromptu game of baseball . the mess it makes when you hit a home run is truly epic. :D

mixedphat

Aug 2, 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #32 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for all you guys not getting enough chalk from your chalk balls; have you tryed stabbing it a few time with a fork or making some small cuts with a knife to get some larger holes in it so it 'feeds' better?

i've been doing the half all with loose chalk thing for a while and found i get excelent coverage with something i can wipe my palms down with aswell.

antthedrummer

Aug 2, 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #33 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer chalk balls just for the less mess factor.

Partner epoch

Aug 2, 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #34 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that chalk balls are only useful in a gym setting, where you don't want excessive mess from loose chalk rolling around. I mostly (96%) use loose/blocked chalk. I am a profuse sweater, and I need a good volume of chalk to keep from over-sweating and greasing off of routes. The only time I really don't use chalk at all is on slab and non-humid-early morning climbs where the stank-sweat factor isn't part of the scenario.

zeke_sf

Aug 2, 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #35 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I 've found that the best use for a chalk ball is an impromptu game of baseball . the mess it makes when you hit a home run is truly epic. :D

that reminds me of a former Bishop local telling me highschool kids there would throw chalk balls at improbable faces on the boulder to make it look like somebody had climbed some impossible line. the sick part is some badass probably comes along, says "hmmm" and then actually sends it.

ja1484

Aug 12, 2006, 3:51 PM
Post #36 of 36 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started with a ball, once I tried loose chalk I never looked back. Outside on hot days, the ball just wasn't cutting it.

As for which brand, just buy the cheapest gymnastic chalk you can find off Amazon.com. It's stupid to pay $1 per ounce for branded Metolius or White Gold, which is the same stuff really.

Might try this hybrid "stuffed orb in loose chalk" deal. Sounds like it might have some use to it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook