Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Digital Is Ruthless (why film might die)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Aug 2, 2006, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 1 (654 views)
Shortcut

Digital Is Ruthless (why film might die)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Digital has been ruthless and the cost of R&D and the entry of the electronics giants who have an edge in this arena has hurt the establishment. Too early to tell if it's hurt the industry overall. Now that Best Buy has nearly as good a camera selection as most of the NYC shops used to, it's not the specialty niche it once was.

not necessarily a bad thing but since Guangzhou always post about the death of film via nonsense like, XX camera company no longer makes film cameras, when in fact if not a single film camera had been made since 1990 we'd all have enough film cameras to last another century. Afterall Brownies and Spotmatics are still going strong a half century later.

Interestingly both Kodak and Fuji have posted near 50% drops in profits over the last year. Neither of them solely makes film and film sales haven't necessarily been the culprit. The fact is what might be the death of film is the cut throat environment of digital. Kodak after restructoring over the last 3 years has just found out that the digital market is tight.

I can't help but think that Fuji and Kodak might have cut off their nose to spite their face. They had to forsight to know digital was coming and be on the front end of it, but I don't think they realized how tight the market was going to be for everyone.

So digital might actually kill film but it won't be for the reasons film haters like to harp on.

On the flip side of all of this is the NEW Voigtlander full manual FILM camera VSL43. Not a real beauty to look at but made by the same company as the Nikon FM10 (with similar specs). For $225.

http://www.photovillage.com/.../vsl_detail_dial.jpg

http://www.photovillage.com/.../vsl43/vsl_front.jpg

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook