Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

flipnfall

Jul 31, 2006, 8:26 PM
Post #201 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Re: granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello Everyone,
I got to see Rebecca last night (Wednesday july 26th). Nate, Alison, and myself walked in to see her to find she was without her breathing tube, without the neck brace, and as awake as she could be with the amount of drugs she's on(Nate, of course, was aware of these changes). When Nate asked her "who's here" she looked and said "hi Brent," although she couldn't really see Alison very well. Her voice is still really weak, which i assume is from the breathing tube (it came out wednesday morning). Nate tells me that they took the tube out of her head and that it never really got used as her brain didn't swell enough, so this is a good thing. She is still in a lot of pain, and I presume she will be for a long while, but she is so strong. That is about all the information that I have now.

Keep fighting, Rebecca. All your friends are pulling for you.

On another note: we are going to go to the accident site this saturday to see if we can get a handle on what potentially happened. However, don't expect another thread to be started regarding this aspect of the accident. Until Rebecca gives her consent and input, we don't want to speculate and start a thread like that.

Thank you to everyone who has given information to me. Alison, Clint, Grant, and Rebecca's friends from around canada who have PM'd me. Thanks to John Long for his gracious generosity.

I'll update again soon.

Brent

If my history is any help in what to expect, I bet in about 2 months she will be feeling much more normal. To spare you all my life's details, my life's events led me to requiring a 1/2 spinal fusion, ALL my ribs had to be cut into segments and repositioned and I had severe internal bleeding issues. I know what it's like to have someone shove a breathing tube in you while you're still conscious--it's terrifying! I kept pulling it out before they finally sedated me enough so that I didn't notice it so much. The pain made seconds pass like days and I wanted to die. I prayed to God that some nurse would overdose me and just let me part ways. It was that bad.

Instead, three days later I was off the resperator, sitting up and actually taking a few steps. Two weeks later I was released. After about a month I was able to walk around for short walks and two months later I was out camping with friends again. It's amazing how fast your body heals and I'm sure hers will as well.

granite_grrl, you're in my prayers! It won't be long and you'll be having fun again!

: )

GT

dutyje

Aug 1, 2006, 2:02 AM
Post #202 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hey,

Well, I wasn't sure how much I should have said on the subject. We were hiking and decided to stop and eat. My friend's mom, my friend, Brandon and I heard the fall and we went to the side of the cliff and asked if everyone was OK. When this rock climber started yelling for help, he needed an ambulance and asked someone to come down to help. Well, we knew we couldn't get down there because it could have been dangerous. My friend's mom instructed me and my friend to get back to the conservation area and tell the people there while she phoned 911. Me and Brandon ran until we found a group of hikers. We told them about what happened and 3 of them had cell phones. We began running again for about 10 minutes until we reached the conservation area.

While we were gone, Brandon's mom attempted to phone 911 but her cellphone wouldn't work, then she tried again 5 minutes later and got through. The group of hikers then met up with her and one of them was on the phone with 911 too so Brandon's mother got of the phone. The hiker told Brandon's mother what to say and she began talking to the fallen climber, telling her not to move. I don't know too much about what happened at this point because i was running but I was filled in a little. The hiker who called 911 began running back to the conservation area.

Brandon and I reached the conservation area just as the ambulance and police showed up. We talked to one person and wondered if we should start getting back, but then we were asked a few more questions.Then a firetruck showed up.We got in the police car when the hiker showed up telling the police that he had phoned 911. He got in and we drove as far as possible then got out and led them to the accident site. Once we were there we grabbed our stuff and went off to the side. We started talking with Brandon's mom and found out the fallen climber's name was Rebecca. We waited and then someone got a few details from Brandon's mother and we started to hear the storm coming in, so we had to leave.

It was definitely not what we expected that day, but I'm really glad someone was hungry. Unfortunately I didn't find out what that hikers name was though. I do not know why she fell or how far. We were just glad we could help and i wanted to find out how Rebecca was doing because my friend's mother said it looked pretty bad. So all the best to Rebecca I hope she'll make a full recovery.

Michelle

Michelle -

On behalf of climbers everywhere, thank you for what you did that day. We (climbers) accept the inherent risks of our hobby, and sometimes things go wrong despite our best efforts to keep the situation as safe as possible. Our community owes a debt of gratitude to those we are fortunate to have close by when such things happen. It is hikers like you that (in the grand scheme of things) help keep climbers like us a little bit safer. You, your friend, and his mother are heroes to all of us, not just those who were there that day. Thank you.

addiroids

Aug 1, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #203 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank god for helmets. Good luck chica!!! Damn, that outside climbing sure seems dangerous!!!

jumpingrock

Aug 1, 2006, 2:34 AM
Post #204 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow... I just got back from a week climbing and this isn't what I wanted to see. Rebecca is a beautiful person who has touched the lives of more people than she will ever realize.

I was only able to climb with her a few times but each time was a fantastic experiance. The first time we went out was a disaster. We ended up bringing out three first time climbers. I don't even think that we did actually climb together as we both ended up in belay bitch duties. I think that we did one climb each, yet through it all she was endlessly patient. Supportive of the new climbers and didn't seem annoyed at all.

The other time we climbed together was in the adirondaks. I don't think that I will ever forget our epic first ascent. Or when we climbed the 5.8 crack that scared the shit out of me, yet she was fully supportive and even lead it when I backed off.

Rebecca, I am truly looking forward to your arrival here in Calgary, I wish you the speediest of recoveries. I know that you are strong enough to fight through this and the news that has come so far has strengthened this belief.

Yours Truly,

David

tradrenn

Aug 1, 2006, 2:38 AM
Post #205 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myself and Lorri went to see Rebecca yesterday ( Sunday July 30 2006 )and I'm happy to report that she is doing much better then on Wednesday, ( Brent's visit ) she recognized us no problem and was able to have a small conversation with us.

It is kind of funny but she was talking about going climbing. ( I think it might of been cause the drugs she is on right now ) She was also talking about reading some book ( sorry I don't remember the title ) I think that is a very good sign.

Partner brent_e

Aug 2, 2006, 4:00 AM
Post #206 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Flipnfall.

And thanks for the update, Wojtek. I'll post another one tomorrow night!

All the best

Brent

rockguide

Aug 2, 2006, 4:35 AM
Post #207 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best wishes for the recovery - speedy and full!

obsessed

Aug 2, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #208 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More progress!! I was extremely happy to find Rebecca awake and sipping on a drink of water when I saw her on Monday night. She is still in a great amount of pain and frustrated at her immobility at the moment, and stubbornly wanting to get out of bed! The stitiches will be coming out and she will be moved to a ward very soon. She still has a long way to go, but progressing well everyday.

I told her again that everyone had been pulling for her and wishing her well! That made her smile. :)

lena_chita

Aug 2, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #209 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm coming to this thread late, and I don't know Rebecca, but I wanted to add my well wishes to all the rest. I'm very glad to hear that there is improvement and Rebecca is awake and lucid and that there are so many people caring about her.

jms

Aug 2, 2006, 8:52 PM
Post #210 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

glad to hear she is doing so well!! all the best for her!

Jackie

djoseph

Aug 3, 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #211 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I told her again that everyone had been pulling for her and wishing her well! That made her smile. :)

Yes indeed. Good thoughts sent your way for a speedy recovery.

Dan

the_iceman

Aug 3, 2006, 7:37 AM
Post #212 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad she's continuing to get better. How much longer 'till she's posting again? :)

findingit

Aug 3, 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #213 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's weird how things closer to home can have a greater impact on your feelings and thoughts about safety etc. Not sure if it's because I know Rebecca or just because it was a home crag and a route that I've been on numerous times, either way I've been thinking about her and the accident constantly. It got into my head a bit recently and I noticed a little trepidation in my step. Lately I've been feeling on top of it and climbing harder trad than ever, but something shifted after this accident. Even on bolts I've recently noticed the nerves creeping in where they never were before. I've always been a helmet guy, but recently I haven't worn it because of a busted rivet. Today I'm feeling stupid for not acting earlier to get a new bucket. So for what it's worth, today in Rebecca's name I'm ordering a new lid.

Rebecca, you're lucky that you have so many people pulling for you, it must feel great despite the pain. Good comes from everything if we are willing to open our eyes and see the lesson. I guarantee I'll soon have you to thank when one of our beloved chunks of escarpment pings off my shiney new helmet.

Get better soon.

Clint.

Partner brent_e

Aug 3, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #214 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update:

I went to see Rebecca last night (wednesday the 2nd). She was awake and aware when I walked in and said hi to me recognizing me easily. It was great to see this. She is, however, still in a lot of discomfort because of the injuries. She says that her ribs, suprisingly, don't hurt too much, but that her hips are hurting. The drugs are making her a bit groggy and a bit forgetful, though. I hope her spirits get a little more uplifted in a couple days when some of discomfort goes away. She did get up and sat in a chair (not a proper chair but something special for therapy provided at the hospital). I was told that she was looked at by a physiotherapist and that she was in great shape!! So, i guess one could say she's coming along.

Thanks again for all the support and well wishes. I'll update when I see her again or hear some news.

Best

Brent

wonderwoman

Aug 3, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #215 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME news!!!

Thanks, brent, for the update. So glad to hear she's feeling better!

tradmanclimbs

Aug 3, 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #216 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guided Whitny Gillman ridge a few days after reading of this accident. It certainly affected my head. I don't know the circumstances of Rebecas fall other than what was posted but it was verey clear in my head that allmost anytime i stopped to place gear on WG that a slip from that spot would be catastrophic. Just too many blocky ledges to hit!! relativly easy climbing with short steep cruxes right over blocky ledges. yikes!!! How would your client deal with that :shock: I guess what i am trying to say is that a slip can happen to anyone even on moderate terraine but we seem to be pretty good at convinceing ourselfs that it won't happen to us. God speed.......

chossmonkey

Aug 4, 2006, 3:26 AM
Post #217 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Who assisted with the rescue? How did they get Rebecca down? How did Michelle help? These were heroic exploits (or at least level headed thinking) that likely saved Rebecca’s life. I would like to hear what was done, what challenges were encountered, and how those challenges were overcome to get Rebecca out safely?

I don't know all the specifics, but I do know some.

The the first person on the scene was a volunteer firefighter that lives close by. He came in from the bottom. Cliff access is normally from the top. I guess it was about a half an hour from the time she fell until he got there.

In the mean time another climber showed up and helped get Rebecca from the lower ledge she was stuck at to the ground. We don't know who this person was, I do have their guide book though if they are out there somewhere.

The first responder found where she was thanks to Colin's strong lungs. He had to sit with her and yell so they could find them.

The professional fire fighters rapped in from the top. The put her on a board and into a litter then hauled her up the cliff side. After the 100' haul they carried her to an ambulance that was waiting at the end of the service road that leads out to the cliff from the parking lot.

They took her in the ambulance to an unknown place (parking lot?) where she was put into a helicopter and flown to the hospital.

Some where about this time the thunderstorms started rolling in. Colin went back to the cliff and rapped down the route in the pouring rain to retrieve Rebecca's gear.

Thankfully Colin made it back to his car without himself needing a rescue.

He then went to the hospital and waited until Kelly and Alison showed up.

geezergecko

Aug 4, 2006, 5:59 PM
Post #218 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Minor corrections from what I observed at the time :
The ambulance plus two fire trucks plus two police cars plus a Conservation Halton pickup were stacked at the lookout. Rebecca was carried out on a litter by hand to the lookout and then driven out to the Nemo parking lot in the back of the Conservation Halton pickup. I assume this was because the ambulance, arriving at the lookout first, was trapped by all the other vehicles behind it on the one lane road. Several responders were also in the back of the pickup, attending to Rebecca. An ambulance helicopter was waiting in the Nemo parking lot with blades turning. It took off in a full thunderstorm downpour, and air lifted her to the hospital in Hamilton.

dfrb26dett

Aug 4, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #219 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's great to hear that she is doing better. I hope her progress continues.

Partner brent_e

Aug 4, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #220 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Minor corrections from what I observed at the time :
The ambulance plus two fire trucks plus two police cars plus a Conservation Halton pickup were stacked at the lookout. Rebecca was carried out on a litter by hand to the lookout and then driven out to the Nemo parking lot in the back of the Conservation Halton pickup. I assume this was because the ambulance, arriving at the lookout first, was trapped by all the other vehicles behind it on the one lane road. Several responders were also in the back of the pickup, attending to Rebecca. An ambulance helicopter was waiting in the Nemo parking lot with blades turning. It took off in a full thunderstorm downpour, and air lifted her to the hospital in Hamilton.

Thank you for the information. Did you assist with the rescue or where you observing?

Regardless, thank you for the information and help.

Best

Brent

skinner

Aug 4, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #221 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really great to hear she's coming along, and thank you Brent for keeping us all updated.

hellraiser

Aug 4, 2006, 8:12 PM
Post #222 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just wanted to add my wishes for Rebecca's speedy recovery...I too, only know her from reading her posts, but you might as well have told me it was my sister by my reaction...get well soon!!!
Andy

Partner alexmac

Aug 4, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #223 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All though very sad for any climber that falls, I think we should all find the details of the caues very important for everyone concerned.

No rush, but should get those details out.

geezergecko

Aug 4, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #224 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thank you for the information. Did you assist with the rescue or where you observing?
I was climbing at the north end of Nemo unaware of what had happened at Ground Zero when the storm came. I had only one thought "Let's get the hell out of here!". As my partner and I rushed along the trail, we came across the rescue. My first thought was that this was a training exercise because there were so many people in uniforms and this is what I have seen them do in the past. My second thought was "Great, at least we have medics in case anyone gets hit by lightning!". I quickly threaded my way through them, being careful to not interfere in any way. My partner, however, was stuck behind the rescue. It was then that I heard the screams and realized that this was no exercise. Somebody was hurt and bad. I think they had six or eight people carrying the litter. I stayed ahead checking back to make sure that they were on the path. At some point, my partner made it past the rescue group and we walked fast to get out of there. I now had two thoughts "Get out of this storm and get away from the screaming!". Fortunately, the screaming stopped pretty soon. The medics were doing their job. While hiking out, we were passed by the Conservation Halton pickup truck with the litter and medics in the back. We made it to the parking lot seconds before the heavy downpour hit and saw the helicopter take off. At the time, I didn't know what to make of what had happened. Later on when I found out that it was Rebecca, it added a horribleness to it all.

wdave40

Aug 5, 2006, 1:36 PM
Post #225 of 354 (74065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best wishes to Rebecca, and hats off to all involved in the rescue.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook