Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dbrayack

Aug 3, 2006, 2:22 PM
Post #1 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Car Camping Tent
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok. here is a serious question. What's a good tent? Lets be honest here, the longest hike I'll ever engage while carrying this tent is from my car to the back of campground at Miguel's Pizza (50 yards). I don't want some super-light weight hardcore tent that cost bookoo bucks.

What's a good, cheap, roomie tent that is water proof? I'm talking like set up my chair in my tent and chill while its pouring kinda tent.

Unfortunately all the climb stores offer the hardcore back packing tents (which I'm not).

Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences with a wal-mart tent?

-Danno

gmreeves

Aug 3, 2006, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Re: Car Camping Tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go to wal-mart, dick's sporting goods, academy sports, any one of those big name sporting goods stores and buy a huge tent. they are like sixty pounds with monster poles and are a bear to set up. you can get them with separate rooms and everything. oh yeah, and they are cheap and waterproof.

you could probably set up a slackline inside of them for those rainy day activities.

Partner euroford

Aug 3, 2006, 2:31 PM
Post #3 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for over 6 years i've employed the Mountain Hardware Lightwedge 3 as my car camping tent of choice. its been through some of the nastiest midwest thunderstorms, some extremely severe RMNP wind and snow storms and even a couple of machine washings (front loaders at the laundromat). i've been 100% happy with the thing, plenty of room, super durable, a nice vestibule, easy to pack, and while not 'fast and light' its very reasonable. i'm also willing to bet if you shop around and maybe prowl ebay you can score a good deal on one. I have no intention of replacing mine for years to come.

dbrayack

Aug 3, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #4 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the trouble is that I beat the crap out of stuff. I have a Mountain Hardware tent that I've had for 3-4 years and I just recently broke the pole (for the second time). I had them fix it the first time, but now all the elastic cord has gone too.....seems like a waste.

That's why I'm looking into alternatives.

-Danno

Partner euroford

Aug 3, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #5 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well damnit boy, take better care of your toys.

dbrayack

Aug 3, 2006, 2:46 PM
Post #6 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, I'm just a gear beater...I should be a gear tester, if it can hold up to my use, it's freeking bomber.

-Danno

gymbo

Aug 3, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #7 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've gone through two Greatland (Target's brand) tents over the past 14 years and the second one is still going strong. The only reason we got rid of the first one is we put it away wet and it got mildew. As long as you have good places for stakes, it's a great tent. We have the two room 9 x 12 model. It was great when the kids were growing up and is still good now that they're in college. Then only thing I've really done is get different sets of stakes for hard, soft and sandy soil.

I'll be taking it to Burning Man this year, so we'll see if it survives that environment.

dbrayack

Aug 3, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #8 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweeet action, thanks guys.

pastprime

Aug 3, 2006, 4:39 PM
Post #9 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a Walmart "Ozark Mountain" or some such name about 4 years ago, big enough to stand up and walk around in, for about $70., and couldn't be more satisfied. The quality is much better than I had expected. They have reinforced and double stitched a lot of places that I never expected on a cheapo tent. I sealed the seams right away, and have been fine in some pretty stormy conditions.

coolklimber

Aug 3, 2006, 9:12 PM
Post #10 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cabellas.com

rsmillbern

Aug 3, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #11 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Sierra Designs Bedouin 4 that I picked up for $150 on sale a few years ago.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=11

It has seen some pretty bad weather and held up great. It also has a large vestibule that holds lots or gear (or a muddy dog) and is pretty easy to cook in if the rain is pouring.

scoTt

codhands

Aug 3, 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #12 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.eurekatent.com/alpenlitext.asp
http://www.trailspace.com/...eka%21/alpenlite-xt/

http://www.eurekatent.com/k2xt.asp
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka%21/k-2-xt/

Not the lightest or most trendy tents around but tough and proven. I just had to retire my Eureka Expedition Traverse after 15 years of abusive service. That tent was awesome!!! Never leaked a bit until the last two years of service, great in the wind, great in the snow, great in the rain, I would have to give it ******, whatyever that means. I would read some reviews on these two tents if'n I was you.

skinner

Aug 3, 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #13 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my "Car Camping" Tent:

http://www.wengerna.com/images/logo.gif

http://www.wengerna.com/..._images/WG31216E.jpg

I picked up (3) of them at a liquidation house for $19.95 CDN each!

Size: 9' x 9' x 56"
Area: 66 sq. ft.
Sleeps: 4
Carry weight: 11.5 lbs.

Features:

Factory taped fly seams
    Factory taped nylon taffeta floors
    E-Port
    Shock-corded fiberglass poles
    Embossed rip-stop fly
    Shoe pockets
    Color coded set up
    Quick release buckles on fly attachment
    Flex style door
    Integrated mud mat
    Climate control venting system
    Patented hoop fly system

At that price I figured they were basically disposable, and if I got a season out of each one I'd be happy. I am now in my third season using the original one, and have two still in their original boxes in reserve :P

wax

Aug 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #14 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the same WENGER tent for casual campojg and for parties like the OM festival, WEMF, etc... and am VERY happy. I had to live out of it for two and a half weeks on summer and was more than spacious, but not so tall and big that it wouldn't heat up at night.

one thing about getting multi room tents is that they get bloody cold at night.

dbrayack

Aug 4, 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #15 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a feeling that I'm going to show up at the campsite with my coleman tent and everyone is going to look at me and beeeee like: NOOOOOOOB!. :shock:

But the truth is, I've been through the "super-expensive-tent-phase" Thats right. The folks who are looking at me like I'm primitive, :idea: I've evolved past them! :idea:

Sort of like the Apes in planet of the apes.

(Also, I'm really cheap and break things alot !)

-Danno

wax

Aug 4, 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #16 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

f*** what other people say... if you cant get a comfortable night's sleep, climbing the next day will SUCK.

and just for the record, i went and bought the wenger tent because the year before i spent a week and change in a one man, ultra light 'coffin'... with gear, camera equip and clothes. AND THAT SUCKED

so the next time you go camping and some knob comes and steps to your choice of tent... do your self a favour and sleep with his girlfriend and/or sister

and make her call you NOOB

dbrayack

Aug 4, 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #17 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Laf yah man, I'll take that advice.

"Make his GF or sister call you 'Noob'!"

Hah!

-Danno

cellardoor

Aug 4, 2006, 1:13 PM
Post #18 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing to mention, it really depends on what weather your planning on camping in. I have experience with both ozark and greatland (i'm a cheap bastard :D ) and they hold up fine in a normal soaker rain but you get some serious wind going and they have all kinds of problems. Also, they're alittle more spotty right out of the box in terms of seam seals. Sometimes they're perfectly sealed, sometimes there's some wet spots. If your anticipating heavy rain, i'd seam seal them first. Other than not being to strong in high winds during a storm, they're great tents. I've used both brands for awhile now and i have yet to buy an expensive uber light deal. Heck, i just got back from 5 days on the appalac. trail and the greatland held up fine.

dbrayack

Aug 4, 2006, 1:24 PM
Post #19 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, if I'm on a trip and it starts pouring for that long or really hard, I'd just bail/sleep in the car anways.

Thanks for the advice guys

brushman

Aug 4, 2006, 1:47 PM
Post #20 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey great topic! I hear ya, man. Several (ignorant) years ago, like others, I too was confronted with the "hardcore mountain-stud tent/bivy vs. nOOb department store Coleman tent" car-camping dilemma. After many stifled and sweaty nights in a bivy, I had the "pleasure" of getting a descent night's sleep in my partner's lowly Coleman. And thus raised the all-important image problem! I mean, how would sleeping in a department store tent affect my image (of myself of course :o )? Well, thankfully I finally saw the light, and now go with http://comfortwhen possible, especially when car-camping! Plus, those "nOOb" tents are pretty darn good for the price, $25 Coleman 7x7 SunDome on sale at Dick's! Of course, the hardcore stuff gets used when necessary, but the Coleman gets most of the car-camping action. I guess, maybe I've evolved...sort of.

(Right tool for the right job, etc....)

dbrayack

Aug 4, 2006, 1:52 PM
Post #21 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course, I'm sure Mountain Hardware just blacklisted me...encouraging everyone to get a coleman tent for sub 100 bucks instead of one of theirs for 2-300 bucks....Course if they would have built a tent that I couldn't break, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

-Danno

Oh, I also have a sleeping bag from them, I trashed it too. I had my grandma sew it so its now :idea: "velcro" :idea: . The zipper was such a pain in the butt, but velcro.....sweet action.

crackers

Aug 4, 2006, 1:52 PM
Post #22 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I buy whatever Campmor has on super super sale.

I have to tell you,every time I set up my car camping tent, then put out the chairs, the double burner stove and the lantern that go off the same propane tank and keep the webber in reserve, I suddenly seem to have a lot of "friends". :wink:

Oh, don't forget the dry ice for the cooler! Keep that beer cold!

I'm looking to get a cot for my gf and I...

greengoblin

Aug 4, 2006, 2:39 PM
Post #23 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I buy whatever Campmor has on super super sale.

I have to tell you,every time I set up my car camping tent, then put out the chairs, the double burner stove and the lantern that go off the same propane tank and keep the webber in reserve, I suddenly seem to have a lot of "friends". :wink:

Oh, don't forget the dry ice for the cooler! Keep that beer cold!

I'm looking to get a cot for my gf and I...

I totally agree with your set up. I call it "comfort camping." When I bought my huge dome tent, Coleman stove, camp table, and full size air mattress I caught a lot of flack from everyone who "bivys" when they car camp. I thought a bivy was something one did on the side of a mountain, not next to a car, camp fire, etc. Then they all used my outdoor suite and were instantly sold. I can set it up efficiently and it actually saves time when cooking and performing camp duties due to the organization and space.

skinner

Aug 4, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #24 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is hilarious, it's starting to read like one long confessional. As hard core as we like to think we are, we're really a bunch of pussy's :)

I still have the one and two man tents, bivi-sacs, and a double portaledge w/bomb shelter. But down in a protected spot at the base you'll usually see my Wenger set up with piles of foamies and big fluffy pillows.

I don't go out of my way to be uncomfortable when I'm out for extended periods, and if the weather turns for a few days it's nice to be in a roomy comfortable environment where you can actually get some rest.

Last summer three of us spent (3) days in the Wenger in a down pour w/o any problems. Last winter.. while it really wasn't made for it, three of us spent the night in howling winds and temps of -35° F - video here

I don't think I'd go as far as to get a multi-room one though, I still want to be able to pack the sucker a ways away from the car/road.

What am I trying to say with all this babbling? I am totally happy with my $19.00 Wenger as a car/base tent considering I've paid more for a spot to set it up in for the night then I did for the tent!

I'm looking for a reason/excuse to set up all (3) of them somewhere. :D

http://www.netspy.net/.../gear/fx/wenger3.jpg

Partner euroford

Aug 4, 2006, 6:57 PM
Post #25 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if your going to be in a pretty benign enviroment, just do whatever the heck you want and it probobly won't matter.

but i've had more than a couple of nights where it stormed like freaking crazy (both in the midwest, and most notably in RMNP), we woke up refreshed from a good nights sleep (i find sleeping during a storm to be very relaxing actually) to find the remainder of the campground looking like a battle zone.

3 years ago in RMNP, every day everybody would set there coleman and wallmart tents back up, and by morning they would all be downed with occupants sleeping in the car.

that just sounds suck arse to me. but do whatever the heck you want.

A. by a cheap ass wallmart tent. at least when it gets thrashed you won't be out much. or maybe your just a sport climbing weeny and don't ever go anywhere with hostile weather.

B. buy a good tent, take good care of it, and it will last a really really long time and you'll sleep well even when the weather goes to shit.

note: whatever you buy, be sure to seam seal it and buy some good pegs. i like the extruded aluminum ones MSR makes.

also, if you want something to chill in while it rains, i highly suggest the Kelty Noah's Tarp. i have both 12' and 16' models. the 12' is good enough for a picknick table and a handfull of poeple. ditch the factory guylines and pegs and experiment with it at home to figure out a good way to guy it down. ours did very well in RMNP this year, including some very high winds.

http://i3.tinypic.com/23lkql2.jpg

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook