Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

crackers

Aug 4, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #26 of 32 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Re: Car Camping Tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:

A. by a cheap ass wallmart tent. at least when it gets thrashed you won't be out much. or maybe your just a sport climbing weeny and don't ever go anywhere with hostile weather.

Dunno Euroford. Over the past six years since I converted, I've probably spent over 400 nights out in all sorts of weather in my car camping tent. Winter, summer, US, Turkey, Caucasus...It's incredible what they'll put up with if you take a few minutes to set it up properly.

joshy8200

Aug 4, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #27 of 32 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I buy whatever Campmor has on super super sale.

Yep...just checkout Campmor. They'll have some good tents onsale for a good deal. I've got the Columbia 2person, 2door, 2 vestibule tent that they sell and have been extremely happy with it. I've put it through the gammut on weather testing and it's definitely dry and has good ventilation.

It is also one of the most (if not the MOST) spacious 2 person-free standing dome tent with a full coverage rain fly you'll find. Plenty of head-room at just under 4ft tall and still light enough/compact enough that if you had to backpack with it, it'd be good (a little under 7lbs I believe).

$99...

kostik

Aug 4, 2006, 7:32 PM
Post #28 of 32 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought this one at Sam's Club 5 years ago for $90:
http://www.baurock.ru/...da_Nasha_palatka.jpg

It's a 3-person Quest tent. Still camp in it. Never leaked. Weights about 10 pounds.

qtm

Aug 4, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #29 of 32 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL. I have a couple cheap tents of varying sizes. I use my ultralight tents when I'm backpacking, but if I'm within easy walking distance of the car I'll bring the Target/WalMart/Sports Authority tent.

When I'm in some public campground, I don't want to attract attention to myself by having a tent worth stealing. Nobody is going to go through the effort of taking an $80 tent, especially if there's a bibler two sites away.

Second, with public campgrounds and family/friends backyard camping, there's always food very close by. You don't want your backcountry tent smelling of burgers and hotdogs, and you certainly don't want food in your backpacking tent.

And then there's something about campfires and drunks, where some guy drops a huge log into a fire and sends burning cinders everywhere. No point risking your good tent to the flame. Or any type of damage, from the drunks playing football or kids running around.

It's amazing how many bells and whistles they can pack into a tent when weight doesn't matter. Sometimes it's nice to sleep on a queen sized deluxe inflatable bed that you inflated with a big, fast, battery powered pump. Sometimes it's nice to see how the other 99% of American "campers" live.

off_route

Aug 4, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #30 of 32 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience most of these tents don't even approach waterproof. Bringing tarps to put up over them sucks, and only marginally works at best.

Something I've always wanted to try, and have heard works, it to take a cheap tent and submerge the whole thing in Thompson's Water Seal. You know the stuff that keeps your wooden deck waterproof for 200years. Just be sure not to smoke in the tent. :shock:

Off_Route

skeletos

Aug 4, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #31 of 32 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a toyota pickup with a wildernest camper on the back. It is basically a shell that pops open into a tent that is open over the bed of the truck and has a bed over the side that is supported by poles. They don't make them anymore, but you can find them used if you are lucky. I have yet to find something better than it other than my girlfriends 4 wheel drive VW van. I think there are also pickup truck tents made by a company called six pack or something like that.

krusher4

Aug 4, 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #32 of 32 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, if you stay in KY a lot you need a good rig. Migals turns into a mud bath.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook