Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

twaikker

Jul 29, 2006, 6:21 AM
Post #26 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yoga and Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climb till my fingers bleed? ugh that would deface the rock and its organic setting, i cant even stand people using chalk let alone bleed on the rock. no i think i will be happy doing 30 minutes of Sirsha-asana, followed by Nataraja-asana, then my all time favorite Selfhomus-fellatious (being translated from the ancient text, "cleansing of ones balls") thats way better than climbing anyday

rockasana

Jul 29, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #27 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey twaikker,

I gotta say I think you're funny and enjoyed reading your post. And no it didn't offend me and I'm not going to cry into my wheatgrass latte ;) Some people dig yoga, some people don't. I thought yoga was pretty hokey until I tried it, now 6 years later I'm still going strong and I haven't turned into a new age hippie...yet ;)

It's easy to make blanket generalizations but like I said in my post at the beginning it's a matter of personal preference. Yoga works for me, I love it and I love to climb. The two complement each other perfectly.

That's it, that's all.

donbcivil

Jul 29, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #28 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockasana said:
In reply to:
Often people who are highly athletic and like to get a great workout tend to enjoy the challenge of Ashtanga or Vinyasa Flow yoga.

It's AMAZING to me, how great a workout you can get from power/flow yoga. I've been doing it for the better part of a year, having accidentally tried it when my YMCA had a class smorgasbord day. Blew me away from the start because it was at least as challenging as any martial arts class I"ve attended.

http://www.holisticonline.com/yoga/hol_yoga_poweryoga.htm

"Power or Ashtanga yoga is a "sweaty, aerobic form of yoga" taught by Mysore master K. Pattabhi Jois. It is often touted as "a workout that can change your life if you can survive it." It is often characterized as a yoga with a boot camp flavor."

:D

Don

dubforceone

Jul 29, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #29 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

twaikker,

Interesting post..i guess according to your thinking climbing would be considered a age old art being used by "new ager", hippie dirty/earthy homo's...not that your a homophobe or anything...but you understand that people who are into "focusing the mind and body"..and all that other enlightenment s--- are either queers, wannabe budda hippies, or tools that drink red bull and jump on the newest training trend they can find (they usually dont stick it out though cause something "new" comes along...

anyway...i like stretching...i feel much more relaxed after a good stretch and it has helped my climbing greatly...not to mention snowboarding, cycling, wakeboarding, swimming and running...ive learned a bit from watching some yoga videos and from friends that do yoga...and made up a good bit along the way...i wouldnt say im a yoga freak or anything..but i definately think it has helped me out...just my opinion

asc_climb

Jul 29, 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #30 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
these same people hate the state of israel, have sympathy for palestinian suicide bombers, save the forest, but abort babies, are beyond liberal, evolutionist loving tools.

ohh thats funny cause i have two lesbian mothers, was raised in the gaza strip, have read all of darwins books...jerk

see you at robs barn

mhayenga

Jul 30, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #31 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
. . . that has a 3rd grade mentallity.

you don't have to be liberal, rich, new age - whatever label you want to come up with - to use the spell checker. of course, George Bush's speech writers don't seem to use it either so props for sticking to your roots.

-1 for lame attempt to attack using spelling
-10 for obligatory liberal Bush reference

Anyway... I think yoga would be cool/useful and look forward to trying it out some day to see if I like it.

twaikker: funny post

slimper

Jul 30, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #32 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say Yoga has helped me balance out my body. Climbing exaggerates groups of muscles: forearms, back, ect.... I think Yoga is a great tool (or life pursuit) to bring ones body back into aliment. So I agree it may help some boost their climbing level, but more importantly if may keep you from getting injured. Either way, I think they compliment each other well.

Not just for bouldering, but all styles of climbing. Well maybe not aid......but who knows.

bizarrodrinker

Aug 4, 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #33 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Martial arts are good for the same reasons.

In reply to:
the biggest similarities between yoga and bouldering are overpriced clothes and extreeme trendiness

And they don't require overpriced outfits. That blurb had me rollin at work. Very comical. :lol:

phang_nga

Aug 6, 2006, 4:29 AM
Post #34 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga by definition has nothing to do with fitness. It means the cessation of mental modifications, a.k.a., emptying the mind. It's been Americanized so that wannabe hippies can make money. :wink:

I'm not suggesting that you stop or anything, just letting you know the true meaning of the word.

Stretch on and Climb on 8^)

donbcivil

Aug 8, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #35 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker said:
In reply to:
:
And they don't require overpriced outfits.

You've never seen the martial arts guys who show up at a tournament with satin gis and a 6 inch wide, "double black belt with 6 red and one green stripe" belt? :shock:

Half the people in my yoga class wear el cheapo sweats like me. And my yoga teacher would be at home at a Kyokushin Summer Camp...she pushes us that hard.

bigvalleyboulderer

Aug 9, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #36 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think its funny that yoga isnt considered a form of fitness. reguardless my school offers it as a gym elective, and i figure that it cant hurt my climbing (couldn't get much worse :wink: ) plus i need the credits. i'm definitely anxious to see if it actually does work for me like it has many other people....

sidepull

Aug 9, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #37 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yoga by definition has nothing to do with fitness. It means the cessation of mental modifications, a.k.a., emptying the mind. It's been Americanized so that wannabe hippies can make money. :wink:

I'm not suggesting that you stop or anything, just letting you know the true meaning of the word.

Stretch on and Climb on 8^)

What an odd post! Your logic only works if 1) the definitions of words don't evolve and 2) the definitions of yoga and fitness are seen as extremely narrow. I'm sure I could find more yogis that would disagree than agree with this.

Let's play your game for a moment and look at original definitions. First, although yoga has to do with the emptying of the mind, it's impossible to untangle the process of reaching emptiness from the state. The process of yoga has been extremely diverse between yogis and within styles and these processes almost always acknowledge the interdependence of mental, spiritual, and physical states. Hence, even forms of chanting yoga that don't require poses are physical in nature (your mouth is moving, you're creating sound) so it's worthless to try to define away the physical aspects of yoga when yoga is a pursuit that intrinsically seeks to intertwine elements of the person that are too often falsely dichotomized or compartmentalized (as you have done).

Second, fitness does not denote or necessarily connote athletic prowess or physical conditioning. Fitness can deal with any aspect of human endeavour and has to do with the general level of health or wellness. Understanding this more expansive take on the word, it's easy to see how your little treatise on semantics is wrong. If yoga is only about emptying the mind (which, if you agree with the paragraph above, it is not) then this should increase mental if not spiritual fitness. Therefore, even using your restricted (read: wrong) definition, yoga is concerned with fitness. But the fact that yoga is a more holistic pursuit proves that it increases a holistic brand of fitness (mental, spiritual, and physical).

Now, go clear your mind without stretching or stretch without clearing your mind.

kai_da_klimba

Aug 9, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #38 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There certainly is more than one definition of yoga, especially if one allows the word to be defined by its common usage. So, for the context of this forum, nothing is more natural than to take as "yoga" what the average reader would think of as yoga.

On the other hand, it is fine to remind us of the origin of yoga. phang_nga quoted (?) from the text typically referred to as the founding scripture of yoga, the "yoga sutras" of pantanjali. Right in the beginning it says there:

yogas chitta vritti nirodaha
"yoga is the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind"

However, even in this text the full description of yoga is broader. For example, the text also lays out the eight limbs of yoga, with "asana", posture, being the third one. Little of the remainder of the sutras discusses asana, which very well may refer only to the posture assumed for seated meditation in the sutras. However, we get

sthira sukham asanam
"the posture should be firm/steady and/yet comfortable/relaxed"

Now doesn't that sound like climbing? And I think there is no question whether "the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind" would be helpful for bouldering ;O)

While I do not have a verse to prove it, I believe that Pantanjali was well aware of the requirement of a healthy body as a prerequisite to serious (meditative) inquiry into the true nature of the mind. He thus displayed a wisdom much greater than some who (me included) shallowly and selectively quote his sutras.

Peace
Kai

sidepull

Aug 9, 2006, 8:52 PM
Post #39 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like your way of saying it better.

foeslts16

Aug 9, 2006, 9:06 PM
Post #40 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dammit - so many stupid posts, but only 5 piles of poo to give out.

I am going to have to agree with about 50% of twaikker's original post. But you know what, if doing yoga makes you feel/perform better - then do it.

My 2 cents - climbing more/harder makes me climb better - bouldering more/harder makes me boulder better.

rockiehorror

Aug 10, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #41 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have always found yoga to help me for the same reasons you mentioned....the breathing and staying calm. Also playing add one with a partner or goup I think helps build technique.

asc_climb

Aug 16, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #42 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.coreyrich.com/.../images/india_01.jpg

if it works for sharma it works for me....ha ha

rockasana

Aug 16, 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #43 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. Great photo. :D

bizarrodrinker

Aug 31, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #44 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
bizarrodrinker said:
In reply to:
:

You've never seen the martial arts guys who show up at a tournament with satin gis and a 6 inch wide, "double black belt with 6 red and one green stripe" belt? :shock:

I do not wear any of those. I am but a humble Aikido student who wears a generic Judo gi.

I didn't even start because I thought it would help my climbing. It just did by teaching me to breath, focus and channel my energy more efficiently.

And no offense to the masses, but tournements are effin stupid.

bizarrodrinker

Aug 31, 2006, 7:16 PM
Post #45 of 45 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
bizarrodrinker said:
In reply to:
:

I do not wear any of those and I think they are overdoing it (but to each their own I suppose). I am but a humble Aikido student who wears a generic judo gi.

I didn't even start because I thought it would help my climbing. It just did by teaching me to breath, focus and channel my energy more efficiently.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook