Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
24 Hours of HCR
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

madflash

Aug 1, 2006, 9:44 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut

24 Hours of HCR  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Hawksbill: Lower_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So the whole 24 hour long competition, see who can climb the most routes thing is such a great idea. I am all for it. There is even a website devoted to it. Beautiful. However, the website doesn't mention that your two member team isn't free. Well, you might say, madflash, nothing in this world is free. And you would be right. And climbing is no different. So how much is this event gonna set you back? Try $70 for your two man team. Hmmmm. Add on another $20 for climbing fees and camping fees, I assume these still apply, and your 24 hour adventure is gonna set your team back a big $90....ouch!
Well, if that's the way its gotta be, so be it. But I would recommend one change. Instead of calling it Free climbing, let's just call it Fee climbing. What do you all think?

organic

Aug 1, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Re: 24 Hours of HCR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ouch, I have never heard anything good about HCR. Why pay that much money when you can go the next weekend and climb for 24 hours for free. LAME. I do hear the grades are super soft though...

crzdriver

Aug 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, it is expensive as hell, but consider it a bargain compared to the fee you pay for the Ozark Challenge, or any of the other plethora of outdoor races one can enter nowadays. Sounds quite entertaining, though. Keep in mind also, that that kind of fee keeps every otherclimber and their redneck cousin for joining in, thus crowding the place beyond belief.

rodion

Aug 4, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$35 for a 3 hour indoor comp is pretty normal. Now make it a 24 hour comp, spanning across 300 acres, logistically requiring alot more support, including a pasta feast, and, like most HCR weekend events, probably including camping/climbing fees for the weekend--- all that for the same price as a 3 hour gym comp... Hmmm... that does sound like a rip-off... I could be in the gym, or better yet, using that cash to buy bolts for some classic crack.

jer

Aug 10, 2006, 4:33 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fees for the ranch are included in the entry fee.

So, 35$ minus $20 for camping and climbing- there's fifteen.

Five bucks for your tshirt, that leaves 10 bucks that goes to the
access fund.

Let's say there are 50 climbers total, that's 500 bucks for the access
fund. Not bad for not having to do anything but cash the check.

So- you are in effect spending 10 bucks for the access fund and getting
dinner, a bag of free crap- and prizes if you can pull down.

andychasteen

Aug 10, 2006, 5:06 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on Jer. Camping and climbing fees will not apply for this weekend to any registered participants. The $35 per person includes it all: the comp, camping, Friday night dinner and slideshow, free Red Bull, t-shirt, chalk, R&I mag, giveaways, and winner prizes. No one is making a profit on this comp (except the Access Fund) and all of the coordinators have spent a lot of time, energy, and their own cash to put it on. We thought it would be a great event for people of all skill to enjoy. Come and have a good time........or don't.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook