Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Partner brent_e

Aug 5, 2006, 4:32 PM
Post #226 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Re: granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Thank you for the information. Did you assist with the rescue or where you observing?
I was climbing at the north end of Nemo unaware of what had happened at Ground Zero when the storm came. I had only one thought "Let's get the hell out of here!". As my partner and I rushed along the trail, we came across the rescue. My first thought was that this was a training exercise because there were so many people in uniforms and this is what I have seen them do in the past. My second thought was "Great, at least we have medics in case anyone gets hit by lightning!". I quickly threaded my way through them, being careful to not interfere in any way. My partner, however, was stuck behind the rescue. It was then that I heard the screams and realized that this was no exercise. Somebody was hurt and bad. I think they had six or eight people carrying the litter. I stayed ahead checking back to make sure that they were on the path. At some point, my partner made it past the rescue group and we walked fast to get out of there. I now had two thoughts "Get out of this storm and get away from the screaming!". Fortunately, the screaming stopped pretty soon. The medics were doing their job. While hiking out, we were passed by the Conservation Halton pickup truck with the litter and medics in the back. We made it to the parking lot seconds before the heavy downpour hit and saw the helicopter take off. At the time, I didn't know what to make of what had happened. Later on when I found out that it was Rebecca, it added a horribleness to it all.

Thank you for the info, Geezer.
Everything I've heard has indicated that the rescue went smoothly and was effecient. A job well done for those on the scene.

Brent

and Kevin from Calgary: I got your card. I'll get it to Rebecca ASAP!

majid_sabet

Aug 5, 2006, 5:10 PM
Post #227 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Thank you for the information. Did you assist with the rescue or where you observing?
I was climbing at the north end of Nemo unaware of what had happened at Ground Zero when the storm came. I had only one thought "Let's get the hell out of here!". As my partner and I rushed along the trail, we came across the rescue. My first thought was that this was a training exercise because there were so many people in uniforms and this is what I have seen them do in the past. My second thought was "Great, at least we have medics in case anyone gets hit by lightning!". I quickly threaded my way through them, being careful to not interfere in any way. My partner, however, was stuck behind the rescue. It was then that I heard the screams and realized that this was no exercise. Somebody was hurt and bad. I think they had six or eight people carrying the litter. I stayed ahead checking back to make sure that they were on the path. At some point, my partner made it past the rescue group and we walked fast to get out of there. I now had two thoughts "Get out of this storm and get away from the screaming!". Fortunately, the screaming stopped pretty soon. The medics were doing their job. While hiking out, we were passed by the Conservation Halton pickup truck with the litter and medics in the back. We made it to the parking lot seconds before the heavy downpour hit and saw the helicopter take off. At the time, I didn't know what to make of what had happened. Later on when I found out that it was Rebecca, it added a horribleness to it all.

majid_sabet

Aug 5, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #228 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a

darkside

Aug 6, 2006, 6:15 AM
Post #229 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rebecca, Nate - when you read this, I was wondering how you were doing while I was out in the backcountry. Reading the updates and the PM's from Brent was uplifting but I had an experience today that just reinforced how fragile life is and how easy it can be lost. I got my first update from climbs4fun when she phoned me just after getting back into cell coverage. I'm OK but that is another story and we can swap notes and hopefully laugh about both when we talk or even better around a campfire.

Stay strong Rebecca and if you really are talking of climbing already, then I look forward to roping up when we meet again..... or having a beer :wink:

Partner brent_e

Aug 8, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #230 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear you're ok, Grant.

here's an UPDATE as of august 7:

i walked into the hospital today with a card from Skinner, which Rebecca is grateful for (thanks Kevin). She was laying on her stomach taking a little snooze and awoke when I sat down. She is doing REALLY well. We had a nice little chat, and she's much more aware than my previous visit. She even laughed a bit!!! :D She asked me if we knew how she slipped and I explained all I could only to have her joke about me messing up the onsite from describing the route! :lol: I told her "I think we'll give it to you when you get back on it." :D She looked great and the cuts are healing really well. She's sore, still, which i'm sure is expected. She's looking forward to sleeping in her own bed, though. Anyhow, there is not much more to say other than her spirits are improved and she looks and sounds great. I didn't talk with the doctors so i don't know her progress in that respect. I'm thinking in a short time she may be able to fill everyone in herself!

Take care everyone and many thanks!!!

Brent

ghostguy6

Aug 8, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #231 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats good to hear :D

fleshwater

Aug 8, 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #232 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fantastic! :D

chossmonkey

Aug 9, 2006, 2:47 AM
Post #233 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I finally got to see Rebecca again today after being gone for a week. Wow what an improvement she has made. I'll hopefully get to talk to the Dr. tomorrow and find out what they think so far.

obsessed

Aug 10, 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #234 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome news Nate and Brent!!! I bet by the time I get back she will be out of there...or running the place!!

And how are things at my house Nate? check your PM

Partner brent_e

Aug 11, 2006, 1:02 AM
Post #235 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great to hear, Nate.

I'm going to try and get out tomorrow again. I'll give you a call.

good to hear that you're back (and yes, i got your phone messages)!

Brent

gowser

Aug 11, 2006, 1:29 AM
Post #236 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great news to hear! still thinking about you a lot up here on the pennisula! continue to heal and we look forward to hearing from you soon rebecca!

thanks all for the updates! nate let us know what the doc says!

cheers,
neil

cosmiccragsman

Aug 11, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #237 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's sure Great to hear Granite_grrl is doing good. :D
Sounds like she will be back climbing before you know it!

Best Regards, Rebecca, and get Well. fast.

Cosmiccragsman

chossmonkey

Aug 11, 2006, 2:12 AM
Post #238 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rebecca still doesn't have internet access, but I did take the lap top in and had her type this up.

In reply to:
So I'm not yet back home or on the internet, but I have read over the responses from the thread that Brent had started up and I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that replied. The positive feedback from the climbing community is one of the reasons that I love this sport so much.

I do not remember anything from the accident, or for a few days in the hospital after that, so I can't really comment on why I screwed up and fell. I had just returned from a trip to Devils Tower and I wonder if I was just getting cocky about my leading ability. Nathan (husband and Chossmonkey) went and checked out the climb after my accident, and he seems to believe that it was well within my ability. Its a sober reminder of how easy it is to let your guard down and get hurt.

I rather doubt I'll be doing much in the way of rock climbing again this season, and at the very least I don't think I'll be doing much (any) leading. I'm still in the hospital, but I can't wait to get home to familiar surroundings. I guess my right leg and hip are pretty messed up, but the fractures should heel pretty good and I'm lucky that I wasn't hurt any worse. And while the rest of this season will be a write off, I still have ice to look forward to in the winter and rock again next spring/summer (though I'm sure my father is disappointed at I didn't finish up with this sport entirely....I think he was muttering about joining a Scrabble league or something last time i saw him).

So again, thank you for the support from everyone. I'm glad I was able to read everybody's posts, and receive cards and stuff from people, and I'm glad I'm still here and well enough to appreciate the support from all those that I know well, and those that I hope i can someday meet. Thank-you everyone!

cosmiccragsman

Aug 11, 2006, 2:16 AM
Post #239 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank You Choss for putting that letter from Rebecca on
the site.Everyone here is going to be thrilled to read it. :D

Cosmiccragsman

Partner brent_e

Aug 11, 2006, 2:55 AM
Post #240 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

Great to see that, Nate. Thanks!

Brent

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 11, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #241 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats wicked to hear

crimpergirl

Aug 11, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #242 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just found this thread and heard this news. GG, I am happy to hear that you are doing well and getting better everyday. The rock will wait, just take care of yourself right now!

overlord

Aug 11, 2006, 7:25 AM
Post #243 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good news man. thanks.

and she should start leading as soon as shes able :wink:

fenix83

Aug 11, 2006, 3:03 PM
Post #244 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nate, all due respect, your wife kicks ass. How tough do you have to be to take a nasty fall like that and be thinking about ice climbing from the hospital!

Really great to hear good news about this, especially from Rebeccas "Mouth"(keys?)...

Still sending good vibes for the home stetch.

-F

Partner epoch

Aug 11, 2006, 3:15 PM
Post #245 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's great to know that Rebecca is pulling through and still has the spirit to want to climb (err... play Scrabble).

The rock is not going anywhere soon. Get better, think happy thoughts, and pray for a cold, cold wet winter...

Cheers,

Jay

kachoong

Aug 11, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #246 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow..... what great news! Very positive and uplifting to hear you're well on the mend and maybe heading home soon. Sounds like you have plenty of support around you, especially from your hubby.... and plenty here at arceedotcom too! 8^)

From one climbing couple to another.... Newbierockstar and I would like to wish you well on your speedy/full recovery and getting back out on rock and ice again soon.

Good luck in the Scrabble championships. :D

Partner j_ung

Aug 11, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #247 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YAY! :D

cchildre

Aug 11, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #248 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just love good news like that update from her. Significant incidents always leave an enduring impression on everyone involved. It is so great to hear that something as terrible as this is taken as a lesson to learn from. Not that we should throw down our shoes and stop climbing, but to be more vigilient in how we climb, staying safe. It's great to hear that everything is looking up and spirits are high.

chossmonkey

Aug 12, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #249 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nate, all due respect, your wife kicks ass. How tough do you have to be to take a nasty fall like that and be thinking about ice climbing from the hospital!

You don't need to tell me she kicks ass. I've thought to myself many times, "this woman kicks ass!". That's why I married her. :wink:

Truthfully she would be plotting her rockclimbing comeback for this fall, but I've been keeping the brakes on pretty hard to try and keep her goals realistic. At least until she is back in the swing of things. Then I'll be there to encourage her to keep aiming for the stars. :D

I'm sure darkside will be chiming in here soon saying that "ice" on her sore leg will feel good, if he already hasn't. I think he's at least made lots of reference. :lol:

Today she spent a whole hour wheeling herself around the ward in the wheel chair. This is a HUGE improvement even from yesterday, when she was only doing up to 20 minutes, reclined and complaining the whole time. Today she was pretty much sitting upright and even though there was still a lot of pain she dealt with it quite nicely.

She was all psyched about getting her arms into shape pushing herself around so when she gets back to climbing she'll be strong. :righton:

The biggest news of all is that she got to stand up and walk a little bit with the parallel bars! :D She did really good considering that she still can't bear any weight on her right leg.

grover

Aug 12, 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #250 of 354 (71527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great news Nate, thanks for the update!

Hang in there ya'll.

Mark

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook