RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

off_route

Aug 13, 2006, 6:15 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

When does large gear become specialty?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So a climbing friend was relaying a story where he read in the guidebook "takes pro to 4 inches" He looked at the finger crack and said, "Nawwwww" The crack widened, and his sphincter constricted. Once at the belay station another climber followed up and when asked how the climb went he said, "Shit! I wish I had some bigger pro!"

So how large of gear do y'all routinely carry. I know it depends a lot on the area and grade but what's the largest size cam/hex/tricam that you ALWAYS carry and what's the largest size you sometimes carry?

I figure bigbros and #6camalots are specialty gear only taken when you know ahead of time that the route calls for it. I've got gear up to the #4friend and was considering a #5 friend although I wonder if it'll primarily be used to keep my pack at the bottom of the climb from blowing away in the wind...

Off_Route

beesty511

Aug 13, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Re: When does large gear become specialty? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So how large of gear do y'all routinely carry.
on routes that say "pro up to 4 inches", i routinely carry 4" pro.

kobaz

Aug 13, 2006, 6:34 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I've never climbed a particular route and the guidebook doesn't say "bring to x inches", and the route is more than one pitch (where you can't eyeball what size gear you'll need) I generally bring up the kitchen sink, doubles of every size from a blue tcu to 3.5 inches. It just depends on the area. In the gunks I don't usuallly need anything more than 3.5, but there is an occasional route that takes 4 inch pro.

Partner epoch

Aug 13, 2006, 1:50 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When a guide book or a friend states that it will swallow gear up to XX inches, I bring approperate gear up to XX inches... If I'm climbing at somewhere new and there is no racking beta, you bet you ass that I have at least one big something to wedge into place in case I really do need it.... Sometimes it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it... <

off_route

Aug 13, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When a guide book or a friend states that it will swallow gear up to XX inches, I bring approperate gear up to XX inches... If I'm climbing at somewhere new and there is no racking beta, you bet you ass that I have at least one big something to wedge into place in case I really do need it.... Sometimes it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it... <
So how big is big? Wait, let me rephrase that. :oops: If you are approaching a route without beta or book info do ypu take a #4cam, #5? Larger?

Off_Route

patto

Aug 13, 2006, 3:53 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My big gear is a #3.5 Camalot, and 9,10,11 hexes.

At minimum I take up my #9 hex, I love it. For long multipitches where I don't know what to expect I take it all up. Though the 11 hex is sometimes left in my bag.

(Last month I had to bail off a climb, I was damn glad I had the #11 hex there, it made me feel safe. I went back the next day to finish the climb and get my hex back :) )

However as said before, it depends on where you climb what gear is needed.

Partner angry

Aug 13, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends.

Some areas have so many wide sections that at least a 4camalot (old stlye) is assumed on every route(Vedauwoo, Escalante). Other areas ( indian creek, yosemite) rarely get wide without warning. I try to avoid lugging more than a 3.5 friend. Still others (devils tower), I'd be happy with nothing but a double set of stoppers for most routes.

Partner epoch

Aug 13, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So how big is big? Wait, let me rephrase that. :oops: If you are approaching a route without beta or book info do ypu take a #4cam, #5? Larger?

Off_Route

Usually it is a #4 Camalot/C4... By scoping and estimating I've brought up to my #6 and a big bro. If I find I won't need them, I let them stay on route for my 2nd to carry, or I'll leave them in my bag. There are times that I don't really feel like hiking 3 miles out to retrieve my big stuff.... Though my first time at the gunks, it was reccommended to me to bring a standard East Coast rack, and I left my big stuff at home. There are some climbs there that would have swallowed up somthing huge...

petsfed

Aug 13, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It really depends.

Some areas have so many wide sections that at least a 4camalot (old stlye) is assumed on every route(Vedauwoo, Escalante). Other areas ( indian creek, yosemite) rarely get wide without warning. I try to avoid lugging more than a 3.5 friend. Still others (devils tower), I'd be happy with nothing but a double set of stoppers for most routes.

What he said.

Unforseen challenges, I might pack the #4 camalot, but if I bring it, I use it, every time.

mtnmia

Aug 13, 2006, 5:04 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh how I love that 3.5 Camalot!!! It comes in so handy, while still not too heavy.
Of course, another option is to carry one of those new Omega Pacific (I think that is what they are?!?) as a backup piece for the unknown size one may encounter around the corner up there.... It works in a HUGE range of cracks.
Now, in Veedauvoo for example, one can never have enough big gear, even on easy stuff.

Partner angry

Aug 13, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh how I love that 3.5 Camalot!!! It comes in so handy, while still not too heavy.
Of course, another option is to carry one of those new Omega Pacific (I think that is what they are?!?) as a backup piece for the unknown size one may encounter around the corner up there.... It works in a HUGE range of cracks.
Now, in Veedauvoo for example, one can never have enough big gear, even on easy stuff.

Yep, I can't carry enough Valley Giants up "Coldfingers"

redlegrangerone

Aug 13, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here in Tucson, I climb either at Mt. Lemmon or Cochise Stronghold. For Lemmon, I will bring the #4 Camalot. I find if I have it, I will use it. In the Stronghold, I always bring the 4.5 and the 5 Camalot. They come in handy when you have to move them up the offwidths as you go.

grampacharlie

Aug 13, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cragging I never leave the #4 camalot at home, and usually bring it multipitching as well. Never been a fan of big bros... i"d almost rather just cut a 2x4 to size and sling that. :oops:

bootlegger

Aug 17, 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Multi-pitch with no beta and can't tell what's above, I take a #4 and a #5 Camalot (new sizes). Normally don't need the #5, but when you end up in that smooth offwidth and need it, you REALLY need it.....

dbarandiaran

Aug 18, 2006, 9:50 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the largest i always take is a 3.5 friend and #8 wc hex, also in reserve is a 4 friend and 9 hex

Partner euroford

Aug 18, 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the #4 dmm comes with us almost always (advertized range 2.5-3.9) and the bd #3.5 very regularly. if necesary we are more than happy to drag along the bd #4 and wc #5. they have both proven worthwhile many times.

tallnik

Aug 21, 2006, 2:26 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I've never climbed a particular route and the guidebook doesn't say "bring to x inches", and the route is more than one pitch (where you can't eyeball what size gear you'll need) I generally bring up the kitchen sink, doubles of every size from a blue tcu to 3.5 inches. It just depends on the area. In the gunks I don't usuallly need anything more than 3.5, but there is an occasional route that takes 4 inch pro.

Jesus, that's a lot of stuff to schlep up a climb. A new route, sure... But an established route of a certain grade? Damn...

I take everything from Micro-Cams to a 3.5 BD on most routes, and IF I'm worred about the route takingmore big gear, I'll take my hexes 7-9. That's on the east coast though, where splitter routes are rare.

On finger cracks, I'll sometimes double up on small cams and take some of my partner's aliens.

I'd say anything larger than a 3.5BD and you're talking specialty gear.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook