RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

jigglebilly

Aug 18, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #1 of 2 (880 views)
Shortcut

Aid climber is D.C-MD area?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there anyone on this site that does aid climbing and lives in the D.C.-Baltimore area (certainly a big wall destination point!)?

nydominic

Aug 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #2 of 2 (880 views)
Shortcut

Re: Aid climber is D.C-MD area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Despite the name I have actually moved back to MD (Baltimore) for the past few years. You may actually be surprised in MD, while certainly not an aid climbing destination, or a climbing destination for that matter. There is enough around to pretty much train for anything.

Here are a few tasty morsels to keep the starving aid climber from going insane.

-the old viaduct below Ilchester (catonsville) Good for learning roof technique and some ea say nailing.

-the friction wall, also in catonsville, has some aid in the back right of the quarry, although the real gem at the friction wall is the 5.12 something drilled pocket route. The whole thing can be hooked right to the anchors, just clip the bolts for protection unless you are into A5. With a little creativity this crag can be a great training ground. I just got finished contriving a 3 pitch 2 day affair on the wall to help train for the bigger and better.

--lastly check out Harper's ferry, to the right of the main wall with the sign on it is a wall the starts right over top of the train tunnel. Several aid routes up to 4 pitches and A4 embark from here, just keep a low profile when in the pit.

Enjoy!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook