RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

deafclimber

Aug 24, 2006, 5:57 PM
Post #1 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

i will be in SLC on Aug 28 to Sept 4.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi yall i will be in SLC for a week rock climbing. i will stay at tanner's flat campground with my climbing partners. i would like to collect some informations which a better place to go beside rock climbing like which the best pizza place is, history place to visit, or the best mexican restaurant or anything. any suggestions wud be greatly helpful !

also i am looking for any little easy routes or multipitches - 5.7 to 5.8 since my left hand got injuried from falling into a ceiling inside an attic. i find that funny but not funny when i got hurt, anyway. can you suggest which better route that i should try out for fun ! i have falcon's climbing guide book. it shud be more helpful i think. any suggestions wud be appreciateed ! :)

cchildre

Aug 24, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

Re: i will be in SLC on Aug 28 to Sept 4. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Steort's Ridge is Awesome! Big cottonwood.
Bushwhack Crack is a great handcrack, solid 8 though. 2 pitches.

Pizza, I like the 5$ special at Little Cesars.
Mexican, the Green Iguana is good, but watch their sauces to be sure what your ordering, since some stuff has chocolate and other non traditional flavors mixed in.

Planning to be there the same time.

Partner sevrdhed

Aug 24, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #3 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Route suggestions... for multipitch 5.easy, don't miss Schoolroom, Pentapitch, Steorts ridge, JHCOBS wall, or anything up Mule Hollow. Those are all great, local, classic routes that you'll love. If you have the Falcon book, you'll be able to do a lot of other routes within little cottonwood.... there's hundreds of pure gems up there.

Food, there's actually lots of decent places in SLC. Try Porcupine Grill by the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Don't miss the nachos; best anywhere.
Also, Citris grill is a great place on 33rd south and about 30th east for decent prices... $7 for their sandwiches, has a really different burger than other places that's great.
Speaking of great burgers, there's a little hole in the wall dive that's also close to the mouth of big cottonwood called The Cotton Bottom. Best garlic burgers evar. Mouthwatering. Must eat one.... now......
Finally, best burritos in town are at a little place called Lone Star, also near the mouth of Big Cottonwood. It's on 7200 South and just before 2300 East. Delicious!

Editted to add: Forgot to mention pizza! The Pie pizzaria is an awesome place for pizza. They've got killer stuff like The Greek and BBQ Chicken and Mountain of meat. http://www.thepie.com for more info

Other gems include places like Dragon Diner on 3900 South and about 1700 East, Royal India on 113th south and 13th east, Benihanas which is downtown somewhere, etc. All good places to go and grab a bite to eat.

If you have any more questions, or need directions or any other suggestions, or pretty much just need anything else at all, give me a PM!

Steve

marc801

Aug 24, 2006, 6:29 PM
Post #4 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mexican, the Green Iguana is good, but watch their sauces to be sure what your ordering, since some stuff has chocolate and other non traditional flavors mixed in.
It's the RED Iguana, on North Temple a little west of I-15. Best Mexican in SLC. BTW, all their sauces are highly traditional (including the chocolate in the mole negro) from the Oaxacan region of Mexico. The Red has *real* Mexican food, not the Americanized, dumbed down Tex-Mex that is so common. You might want to learn a bit about Mexican cooking before claiming chocolate is non-traditional. Here's a good starting point:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/moles.asp

Edited to add: There is another Iguana - the Blue Iguana - that's a few blocks closer to downtown, but it's not as good as the Red.

cchildre

Aug 24, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #5 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Red Iguana, sorry for the misquote.

Bashing Tex Mex.....ouch....well, I must say, Red Iguana is pretty good, and was the best I had during my visit, but it pales in comparision to most of Mexican food that I have at my disposal in Texas. Sure, I will agree that I wasn't exactly accurate calling their sauces non-traditional, rather, I should say they are not typical of what you find in the US for mexican. You can keep your chocolate sauce and I will be here cooking out with my Mexican buddies drinking our full strength beer.

marc801

Aug 24, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #6 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bashing Tex Mex.....ouch....
Unfortunately a lot of folks here think Taco Bell is real Mexican!
In reply to:
well, I must say, Red Iguana is pretty good, and was the best I had during my visit, but it pales in comparision to most of Mexican food that I have at my disposal in Texas.
Probably. Despite the family that owns the Red having come from Oaxaca, it's likely they did have to adjust for white-bread Utahn tastes. I suspect that in Texas, a restaurant can be much more authentic and still thrive.

In reply to:
Sure, I will agree that I wasn't exactly accurate calling their sauces non-traditional, rather, I should say they are not typical of what you find in the US for mexican.
Ah, I see what you mean now.

Partner sevrdhed

Aug 24, 2006, 8:41 PM
Post #7 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can keep your chocolate sauce and I will be here cooking out with my Mexican buddies drinking our full strength beer.

Yeah, but I'd bet you'd trade all the full strength beer in the state for one of our climbing areas. :D

Steve

pastprime

Aug 24, 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #8 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Second the above recommendations, and to the list of 5.7ish routes would add Becky's Wall, Perhaps, and Crescent Crack (do the flared chimney on the second pitch facing west, and there's a hidden handrail just around the left edge.) All these are in the same Little Cottonwood area. If anyone suggests the Salt Slips, ignore most of anything else they say as well.
As to historical stuff, I suppose you are either a Mormon Temple grounds/museum tour kind of person, or you are not; but if you are, there is a lot of history there. This area was one of the earliest settled in the inter mountain region, and is very intertwined with the history of the rest of the west, including the settlement of Las Vegas, some of Southern California, and the California gold rush. More silver was taken out of the mines in the canyons here than in some of the much more famous mining areas in Nevada.
Looking up the Utah travel council on the net might give you some ideas, too.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook